Aquaclean tabs in drinking water (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
For years, (ever since Mother was a lad) I've religiously put the recommended I tab in every 25 litres when I fill my m/h tank (the instructions say: "leave for min 15 minutes before using") and use the treated water for cooking, washing, teeth brushing (& soaking :() whereas I read that some folk just use purification tabs either for a first fill or just now and again then drain and refill with untreated fresh.
I'm aware of many diverse posts (like those on the risk of Reverse Polarity) that some folk regularly treat, flush, drain and refill and some never treat at all without any ill effects but I'm wondering if the Aquatabs just treat the newly filled water itself or whether I'm wrongly assuming that they purify/disinfect the tank and plumbing pipes etc. I would've thought that the Aquatabs would purify everything with which they come into contact.......:unsure:
P.S. I don't have any type of filter in the system, just pipes, a pump, shower, water heater and taps.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We use the PuriClean powder to disinfect the water tank once or twice a year, it also does the pipework if you run water through, after use we rinse the tanks out with plain water. Have not used the tabs for treating water but reading the blurb it sounds like a good idea to carry some just in case, the site states that you should use Puriclean (or something similar) periodically.

'...Mega Tabs are specifically formulated for maximum microbiological control in stored water, and will keep the water fresh. The water tank and system or container and filling hose should be periodically cleaned and purified with Puriclean...'

Mind the cynic would say that's so that you have to buy more product from them.:sneaky:

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
In the two years of owning and the last year being f/t...

I've only ever filled wi tap water... every few fills I will empty completely and flush with tap water via maintenance access... (removes small black floatie things)..
Then re-fill...
I often (like every day) drink cold water straight from the tap... after dispensing into a glass of course!...
.... and i'm still breathing ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Yep, I use these. Horses for courses I say, some drink without any form of purification, some do it religiously.

I don't use them every fill, or even every trip, but I keep a mental note of the last time I did use them and when they're required, dissolve a few in a jug and add to the tank.

Don't use the ratio or 1 per 25 litres either, just as many as I think will do the job:)
IMG_3327.JPG

Also use this as and when required.
IMG_0263.JPG

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
After I left school I worked at a municipal swimming pool. One winter we drained it to repair the tiles, then refilled it from the mains water supply, around 250,000 gallons in all.

Before we pumped the chlorine back in it was impossible to see the bottom of the 11'6" end because the water was so green. Same stuff as came out of the taps. Mind you it was the 1970s, so maybe things have improved since then :)

As far as the MH goes I stick a bit of Milton through every couple of years when I'm putting it to bed for winter, but I don't sterilise anything whilst it's in normal use. I use those 8 litre mineral water bottles at a couple of Euros each for fresh drinking water - the tap stuff is either boiled for drinks or used for washing.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
In six years I have never cleaned the water tank, although it is frequently emptied and refilled with fresh water. We only use the onboard supply boiled for hot drinks or for showering and hand washing. Never had a problem.

Oct 28, 2011
west midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new
Yes, use sterilsing solution at start of the season for the black floaty things in the pipes, flush out and refill with clean water. Please don't use Milton, it tastes forever and will eventually do nasty things to your boiler. When refilling on site, I do add one Aquatab per 25 Litres if I have suspicions that there could be a tummy bug going round, or if the weather is really hot. It depends how you feel about the water supply, I guess !!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
"AQUASOL" four caps full in a 60 litre tank keeps your water fresh,

but!

Sterilze all the pipework first (at the start of the season) with Purasol

When all else fails! read the bloody instructions!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
,tummy bug going round,QUOTE[/COLOR][/B]]

Knock on the Door yesterday, I opened it, there was a 6ft Beetle standing there, he punched me in the face and called me a dick!

Apparently there is a nasty Bug going around

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We fill it with tap water, never drain down unless I know it's going to be standing for a long time, have used Puriclean once when we picked up the dreaded TCP taint somewhere in France.

We drink it and have never had any issues.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
For years, (ever since Mother was a lad) I've religiously put the recommended I tab in every 25 litres when I fill my m/h tank (the instructions say: "leave for min 15 minutes before using") and use the treated water for cooking, washing, teeth brushing (& soaking :() whereas I read that some folk just use purification tabs either for a first fill or just now and again then drain and refill with untreated fresh.
I'm aware of many diverse posts (like those on the risk of Reverse Polarity) that some folk regularly treat, flush, drain and refill and some never treat at all without any ill effects but I'm wondering if the Aquatabs just treat the newly filled water itself or whether I'm wrongly assuming that they purify/disinfect the tank and plumbing pipes etc. I would've thought that the Aquatabs would purify everything with which they come into contact.......:unsure:
P.S. I don't have any type of filter in the system, just pipes, a pump, shower, water heater and taps.

Never used tabs of any sort in 20 odd years of caravaning and motor homing. Keep water for drinking,,mashing or making coffee in a 5 litre container,,and water out the tank for cooking,washing pots and teeth cleaning,,still here at 72 and never get upset tummy,,,,BUSBY.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Only used those tabs once to ensure the tank was clean on our RV when we bought it, but couldn't drink the water because of the taste.
Otherwise, we just keep filling the tank when it gets empty and use the water for drinking washing and showering.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There is more than enough chlorine in tap water to sterilise the tank and pipework, you can smell it when filling.. I drain and refill before a trip.

We use tank water for all needs, that is what it was designed for, it is made with food grade plastic as are the pipes..

Have only ever bought bottled water when we were in Morocco and weren't sure the water was potable.

Bottled water is not guaranteed to be safe to drink, it is bad for the environment, both in manufacturing and in disposal of plastic bottles..

" Say No to bottled water" https://www.facebook.com/SayNoToBottledWater/

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
After nearly a year touring Europe I decided to have a look in the water tank (was flushed with white vinegar occasionally). All I can say is :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:.
There was a brown slime covering the base (probably 11 countries worth of bacteria). Straight in with the Milton and cloths, left the Milton in the whole system for an hour.
We usually drink bottled or decanted tap water. However I know from owning a well supplied property in the past that even doing the washing up with contaminated water can give you nasty diseases. Certainly the myth about cleaning your teeth with dodgy water but not swallowing is frankly dangerous:Eeek:.

Definitely will be miltoning out the tank a bit more regularly:doh: (I don't think it will harm the boiler if it's not regular) but no tablets adding to the already chlorinated town water.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
We use a brita filter jug for all water from the tap for filling the kettle and drinking

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We use a brita filter jug for all water from the tap for filling the kettle and drinking
Never ever bought water for using in the kettle in 16 years of touring abroad,,if it makes a good cup of tea its ok for us,,BUSBY:D:D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

They only filter limescale and things like that, they don't have any effect at all on things like bacteria.

We use one at home because we live in a very hard water area and it makes the kettle last longer.

If the water going into the jug has nasty bugs and bacteria present then the water coming out of the jug will as well.

Reactions: mta
OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thanks for all the experiences and various opinions. It seems we pay our money and take our chances. I had to go under the m/h last summer to fix something and was horrified at the black bits and sludge in the transparent plumbing pipes.
I get a sort of very slight waxy film on top of tea and coffee which clings to the sides of the cup as it drains and have been considering stopping the Aquaclean tabs but am loathe to risk getting the Squitters on tour.
I do have some concern that the tabs in the water will also kill off good bacteria in the gut. Maybe I should eat more yogurt.
Still undecided...........

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Thanks for all the experiences and various opinions. It seems we pay our money and take our chances. I had to go under the m/h last summer to fix something and was horrified at the black bits and sludge in the transparent plumbing pipes.
I get a sort of very slight waxy film on top of tea and coffee which clings to the sides of the cup as it drains and have been considering stopping the Aquaclean tabs but am loathe to risk getting the Squitters on tour.
I do have some concern that the tabs in the water will also kill off good bacteria in the gut. Maybe I should eat more yogurt.
Still undecided...........

Just fill a 5 lire plastic container at the tap for mashing tea and making coffee,,BUSBY.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I get a sort of very slight waxy film on top of tea and coffee which clings to the sides of the cup as it drains

More likely to be limescale than anything else. It won't hurt you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back