Approaching 70 (1 Viewer)

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
On way home today after 2 weeks away in our 4500K Burstner said to wife, well had the medical let's hope new driving licence has arrived!
Ahh letter from DVLA, oh no stiff licence inside. What is inside. Letter with. We are considering your fitness to drive group 2 (lorry or bus) entitlement and have decided that you should have an exercise ECG with Conultant Cardiologist.
Had 3.5 stents implanted 16 years ago, Heart attack 13 years ago and no angina for At least 10 years.
Anyone else had exercise ECG. Is it carried out on a treadmill or exercise bike.

Steve

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
The tread mill if done correctly under medical supervision at a Hospital is for 3 mins steady walk,+3mins faster walk.+3 mins walking as fast as you can .If done correctly it is not a walk in the park as some claim.The idea is to put pressure on your heart under stress to see how it performs.Total 9 mins and the last 3 is far from easy .Good luck.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hubby had it last year. Standard treadmill walking but increasing pace and gradient. He had bypass 2003 and passed it with flying colours (said the doc) however don't expect your new licence to arrive anytime soon. You can continue to drive C1 class, if you already have it, until you are told you should not. According to DVLA website for up to 12 months from when you applied for the licence. When it got to 12 months with all phone calls to DvLA resulting in " it's still with medical dept" we contacted MP to get things chased up.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Anyone else had exercise ECG. Is it carried out on a treadmill or exercise bike.
Yes my husband had it. The normal procedure for diagnostic testing is that the hospital ask you to discontinue any meds. However for the DVLA you should still take meds. We were wrongly informed about this and Glenn was told to stop taking meds. The result being that he had his C1 licence revoked. We appealed and he now has it back but it all took more than a year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can I ask all those above a question relating to the licence itself.
You obviously apply for the continuance of your licence prior to your 70th Birthday but, what happens once you attain the magical date?
Yes, you continue driving and whilst in this country, there is the ability of the authorities to do the necessary checks to ascertain you are going through (or more correctly ON the mill).
But what happens should you wish to travel abroad. Sure, you are still authorised to drive but what can you produce to the Gendarme or Guardia should they demand it's production.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You obviously apply for the continuance of your licence prior to your 70th Birthday but, what happens once you attain the magical date?
Yes, you continue driving and whilst in this country, there is the ability of the authorities to do the necessary checks to ascertain you are going through (or more correctly ON the mill).
But what happens should you wish to travel abroad. Sure, you are still authorised to drive but what can you produce to the Gendarme or Guardia should they demand it's production.
Nothing is the short answer. I wouldn't want to test it. After all the licence you can actually produce has expired how do you explain to gendarme about the 12 month rule??
If you wish to drive under 3500 kg abroad you can ask DVLA to send to a temporary licence without the C1 which in our case they did very quickly in a matter of days.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Nothing is the short answer. I wouldn't want to test it. After all the licence you can actually produce has expired how do you explain to gendarme about the 12 month rule??
If you wish to drive under 3500 kg abroad you can ask DVLA to send to a temporary licence without the C1 which in our case they did very quickly in a matter of days.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for that RBA,

Our 'van (as per Avatar) has been raised to 3700Kgs. I have no desire to reduce the weight to 3500Kgs and then get clobbered for being overweight as opposed to driving at 3700Kgs and being damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We didn't risk it.

When the time comes, and unfortunately my Anniversaire (That's yer actual french:cool:) is in May so the aftermath will include the main holiday period immediately afterwards, I'll take the risk of having to explain in my best schoolboy french how we do things (or not in the case of DVLA) over this side of La Manche)
The french don't have 'Granddad rights' They have to apply and take a test to drive anything over 3.5tonnes.
As a result, and because our wagon looks like a 3.5 tonner I'm not anticipating problems.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you haven't got any history of heart problems for your doc to report then DVLA seem to be quite quick (according to others on here :mad::mad:)
You can apply for your new licence 6 months early. We applied in March 2016 for 70 end July. We normally away in May June and wanted it sorted...ha ha. I think we actually had to send the licence so we had none in possession but my memory may be failing me here. When we explained going away, DVLA were quick in sending a non C1 licence which hubby wanted in case I was unable to drive at any time.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Stress test can also be done chemically.
I had it not long after knee surgery.
Bit wierd, lying on a trolly with no effort involved, but gasping like I'd just run 10 miles.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I have some good info on this somewhere, I am desperately trying to find it, talk about stress. Will report back soon.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Went through this a few weeks ago, perfect health, good medical BUT I had an angioplasty 20 years ago with no recurrence and they demanded a stress test, the biggest stress was waiting for the stress test and the threat I would stuck with van I could not drive !!! They pay for it. private hospital with a coronary consultant and a technician, 3 mins on a 10% gradient at 1.7mph then 3 mins at 2.5mph on a 12% gradient ending with 3 minutes at 3.4 mph on a 14% gradient. the last 3 minutes are quite hard, the consultant told me when I had finished I was fine, I have no doubt this would have cost the DVLA upwards of £500 when really there was no cause for it at all. if you want full info search online for the " bruce proticol" In 3 years time I may downsize rather than go through this again but my mate having just bought a 3.5t A class with hardly any payload and a 45 litre fuel tank makes me think I may go back to a caravan

OP
OP
sweetie
Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Well after spending 2hr trying the wrong number for the consultant what DVLA had sent me, finally got in touch with his secretary. Sorry but he is on holiday for another 2 weeks so not able to make appointment until he returns.
We where only talking about having van reupholstered while away, now on hold.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Good luck with the test when you have it, there really is a case for a campaign to have a leisure licence for vehicles up to say 4.5t with restrictions on it for vehicles fitted out for habitation only with perhaps a maximum annual mileage ect... at the moment the criteria at 70 is the same for a 7.5 ton lorry driver who spend say 8 hours a five days a week for perhaps 50 weeks a year covering perhaps 75-100k miles per annum as opposed to one us who travels perhaps 2k to 10k pa and carefully at that as we don't want to scratch our vehicles.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Went through this a few weeks ago, perfect health, good medical BUT I had an angioplasty 20 years ago with no recurrence and they demanded a stress test, the biggest stress was waiting for the stress test and the threat I would stuck with van I could not drive !!! They pay for it. private hospital with a coronary consultant and a technician, 3 mins on a 10% gradient at 1.7mph then 3 mins at 2.5mph on a 12% gradient ending with 3 minutes at 3.4 mph on a 14% gradient. the last 3 minutes are quite hard, the consultant told me when I had finished I was fine, I have no doubt this would have cost the DVLA upwards of £500 when really there was no cause for it at all. if you want full info search online for the " bruce proticol" In 3 years time I may downsize rather than go through this again but my mate having just bought a 3.5t A class with hardly any payload and a 45 litre fuel tank makes me think I may go back to a caravan
Hubby's licence is only valid for one year! Don't count on three.
Maybe it's because we complained to MP. Had stress test in August 2016 still not heard anything March 2017,

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We had a German visitor, up at the Farm a few weeks ago, with a massive motorhome on a Man lorry chassis, I asked him about the medical restrictions and he said there are none other that to declare you are living and reasonably fit. BECAUSE it is not a commercial vehicle driven all the time professionally. Private motorhome are recreational vehicles.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
The whole thing needs reviewing, my car is 420bhp and it would be difficult to find anything much quicker and yet every 3 years I go through the process of the Medical so I can drive a 7.5T vehicle at 55/60 MPH.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The whole thing needs reviewing, my car is 420bhp and it would be difficult to find anything much quicker and yet every 3 years I go through the process of the Medical so I can drive a 7.5T vehicle at 55/60 MPH.
Yes but if you stick to the legal limit !!!! in your car there is a lot more energy in your motorhome at 60mph. Its ok to complain about the medical but when theres an accident caused by a heart problem in a city and people get killed (Glasgow bin lorry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Glasgow_bin_lorry_crash ) its bound to get the authorities looking into medical fitness. I wonder how long it will be before they bring the weight limit down.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Not much difference in driving a 3.5 ton and a 7.5ton. But the law in this country needs to be changed . All we need is a quick medical with a doctor . Which I have to keep my HGV. it takes about 15 mins. And costs about £50. I am now 72 . And I only drive a 3.5 ton. But just in case I win. HA HA. some money I will keep it up.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have absolutely no problem with having medicals and tests. They are a GOOD THING. Our only complaint is about the process and the ridiculous time it takes to process.

I believe that older car drivers should have compulsory reviews, not a test as such, but something to demonstrate competence...........alright, I'll get my hat!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have absolutely no problem with having medicals and tests. They are a GOOD THING. Our only complaint is about the process and the ridiculous time it takes to process.

I believe that older car drivers should have compulsory reviews, not a test as such, but something to demonstrate competence...........alright, I'll get my hat!
Totally agree the recent terrorist attacks have reminded us all that cars are dangerous.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I asked him about the medical restrictions and he said there are none other that to declare you are living and reasonably fit.

I understand being asked to declare that you are reasonably fit, which is essentially what we ask car drivers to do when they are 70. I fail to see the need to declare that you are alive, because the dead are usually not well enough either to complete an application for a licence or to drive. There may be exceptions to this general rule:

IMG_1013.JPG

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Gosh...what a palaver...I'm 70 next June....does one just have a medical and send the letter from the doc with the licence application or what Our MH has just been up-plated to 3700 kg???

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
Good thread but am still confused. I'm 70 April 2018 and drive a 3.5ton Rapido. Do I apply for just a normal licence & if I do will I then lose my C1? Also I am on Ferry to Spain Jan 18 for 5/6 months. How does one apply 6mnths early as mentioned earlier in this thread? I can find no info about that on .Gov UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back