Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
Hi,
just a question out of interest. A friend of mine is buying a 2012 model approach. It is fitted with a whale external pump connector on the on board water tank. Was told needed to fit to a water butt. How do you fill if you don’t want to carry a water butt. Can you put hose directly in to fill tank, I assume it has its own on board pump. He’s new to this so is not sure( getting him to join here👍), I’ve not seen it yet hopefully meeting up later in month. Just thought a bit strange but maybe it’s standard
Thanks
Geoff

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
The van should come with two items, one is a pump with the square connector, the other is a hose pipe again with the square connector. If filling from the mains the water should stop when the tank is full, same applies if using the pump.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
It should also have a hose with a whale fitting on the end to fill from a tap, if not they are relatively cheap and easy to get

Edit looks like Bessy765 beat me to it😋

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I would have thought he can just put the hosepipe in the filler and fill as normal. I have seen vans with the whale power outlet. I’m not sure why it’s needed really. I just pick up my water containers and tip the water in. Even the round rolling water things only seem to carry 25litres. That’s only 25kg so again just pick it up and pour it in.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
If it is anything like my 2017 Autograph it will come with a Whale Aquasource hose with tap connector one end and square Aquasource connected the other end. This will not switch off automatically when the tank is full and water will overflow from a pipe situated by one of the rear wheels (Autograph). You can get an indication (Fill Tank) of the fill state on the control panel and it is better to switch the tap before the tank overflows. If using an Aquaroll to fill the tank the pump (not supplied Autograph - cheapskates!) you use "Fill Tank" to control this pump and it will switch off automatically when the tank is full. It will not switch the external pump off if it simply runs dry in the Aquaroll (try not to run the pump dry). Whilst using "Fill Tank' the Motorhome pump will be non operational. Once you have filled the tank from an Aquaroll you can refill the Aquaroll and have another 40 litres of water ready to pump in when needed. The problem with this system is that if the place you are filling from only has a open ended hose you need to account for that with some extra adapters on you supplied Whale Aquasource Mains Filler

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We’ve got a 2012 Bailey Approach 620 and water filling is pretty much as described by Ninjabob in #6 above. We use an aqua roll unless we can get close enough to a tap to use the lengths of hosepipe provided with the same connection as the whale external pump, in which case, filling is even quicker and easier.
In our van, when using the aqua roll, or the hosepipe, then there is a cut off at 100%.
in practice both here and abroad, we’ve not found using the aqua roll to fill up, to be much of a nuisance and you can easily fill up the van whilst set up, much easier than some we’ve seen, making multiple trips to the tap with a watering can and filling up.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Hi Ninjabob we bought a new 2017 Autograph 2 and the whale pump came with it, we have never used it and only opened the pack because a friend of ours wanted the adapter that came with it

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I would have thought he can just put the hosepipe in the filler and fill as normal. I have seen vans with the whale power outlet. I’m not sure why it’s needed really. I just pick up my water containers and tip the water in. Even the round rolling water things only seem to carry 25litres. That’s only 25kg so again just pick it up and pour it in.

Not all water inlets are suitable for simple gravity fill by pouring. The "round rolling water things" are typically 40 litres, sometimes as much as 50 litres. Few people are strong enough to pour these slowly at mid-height.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Not all water inlets are suitable for simple gravity fill by pouring. The "round rolling water things" are typically 40 litres, sometimes as much as 50 litres. Few people are strong enough to pour these slowly at mid-height.
cmcardle75 has got it bang on. Firstly the aquarol is 40 litres and I believe there is a larger one. There is no way you could lift the 40 litre one but anyway, it doesn't just pour in. That's why there is a Whale connector and you use a submersible Whale pump from the aquarol which connects to the van. You then turn on the submersible pump from the van's control panel (choose "pump") and you hear the pump starting and the van filling. Keep an eye on the control panel and it's tell you, in percentages, how full the van is. Once the van is full, the pump turns off automatically.

As the aquarol is 40 lites, and the van takes 100 litres, you'll need to fill the aquarol more than once (assuming you start from empty). But (a) you may not be starting from empty and (b) it isn't necessary to fill your van if your destination has access to fresh water.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
cmcardle75 has got it bang on. Firstly the aquarol is 40 litres and I believe there is a larger one. There is no way you could lift the 40 litre one but anyway, it doesn't just pour in. That's why there is a Whale connector and you use a submersible Whale pump from the aquarol which connects to the van. You then turn on the submersible pump from the van's control panel (choose "pump") and you hear the pump starting and the van filling. Keep an eye on the control panel and it's tell you, in percentages, how full the van is. Once the van is full, the pump turns off automatically.

As the aquarol is 40 lites, and the van takes 100 litres, you'll need to fill the aquarol more than once (assuming you start from empty). But (a) you may not be starting from empty and (b) it isn't necessary to fill your van if your destination has access to fresh water.
This all sounds like a very difficult and complicated way to simply put water in your fresh water tank. The simple hose pipe is certainly easier.
I feel pretty sure I can pick up 40 or 50 kg to pour it in if required, it’s not that heavy. The old bags of sand, cement I used to deliver were that weight each. All hand balled.😂😂

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
“I feel pretty sure I can pick up 40 or 50 kg to pour it in if required, it’s not that heavy.”

Bet you got a big overhang too! 😂

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
“I feel pretty sure I can pick up 40 or 50 kg to pour it in if required, it’s not that heavy.”

Bet you got a big overhang too! 😂
I would hope the average male can pickup 50kg. If not just what are we breeding these days? We’ve already reduced the size of bags of sand, cement etc down to 25kg. Makes carrying two difficult.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Modern "round rolling water things" (so we avoid the Aquaroll word) are 40 litres. Pumps were invented to avoid having to hold 45Kg at chest height. As were watering cans.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Modern "round rolling water things" (so we avoid the Aquaroll word) are 40 litres. Pumps were invented to avoid having to hold 45Kg at chest height. As were watering cans.
I didn’t know the round things had a name, I’ve never used one. I would only be holding 45kg at chest height for a very short period of time as the water would be rapidly pouring into my tank. Therefore becoming lighter very quickly.
Think of it as a little light weight training.
I sometimes use a watering can and another 10litre container. Usually pick a tap quite a way from the van as this gives me a better workout. Three or four trips is good for me.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I didn’t know the round things had a name, I’ve never used one. I would only be holding 45kg at chest height for a very short period of time as the water would be rapidly pouring into my tank. Therefore becoming lighter very quickly.
I sometimes use a watering can and another 10litre container. Usually pick a tap quite a way from the van as this gives me a better workout. Three or four trips is good for me.
You’re obviously a “real” man.

Show us your muscles !!

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
You’re obviously a “real” man.

Show us your muscles !!
I think looking after yourself is part of staying fit and healthy. Now why you appear to think that strange or in some way manly I cannot say. Very strange comment!!

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I think looking after yourself is part of staying fit and healthy. Now why you appear to think that strange or in some way manly I cannot say. Very strange comment!!
It was an attempt at humour! Obviously not a very good one,and I didn’t help my cause by forgetting to put a smiley at the end. Must try harder!

Yes,I agree it’s good to make an effort to stay fit and healthy,I’ve just returned from a bike rid,but haven’t yet ventured back to the gym.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It was an attempt at humour! Obviously not a very good one,and I didn’t help my cause by forgetting to put a smiley at the end. Must try harder!

Yes,I agree it’s good to make an effort to stay fit and healthy,I’ve just returned from a bike rid,but haven’t yet ventured back to the gym.
I have re read it and now get the humour 😂😂💪💪🍺🍺.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
25Kg is the maximum safe lift and is why cement and other bagged goods are now that size. I'd be the first to admit I couldn't lift 45kg to chest height. Nor would I ever have wanted to.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
25Kg is the maximum safe lift and is why cement and other bagged goods are now that size. I'd be the first to admit I couldn't lift 45kg to chest height. Nor would I ever have wanted to.
I suppose we (humans) are, have become weaker, fatter and generally less fit over time. It’s probably why we as a race are more obese and have more cardiac problems than past generations.
I don’t personally see this as a good thing.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Cheap ! £50 and i went through x3 so made my own .
Sorry Jenka I recalled looking back in 2017 when I first got the van and think they were about £29.99 back then (which to me seemed quite reasonable for a pump) needless to say, as previously mentioned, I have never used the one I was given with the van so never needed to buy one and admit if I had to pay £50 once (just to do what I can do with a hose and connector) I wouldn't be over amused and if I got to my third one like yourself well!!!!!

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
This all sounds like a very difficult and complicated way to simply put water in your fresh water tank. The simple hose pipe is certainly easier.
I feel pretty sure I can pick up 40 or 50 kg to pour it in if required, it’s not that heavy. The old bags of sand, cement I used to deliver were that weight each. All hand balled.😂😂

Yes. Hose is the primary method of filling for mine. The water inlet is a hoselock, so the hose clips in securely. The transfer pump is for emergencies, such as campsites where the water tap is at the shower block and you are not permitted to drive near it.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Cheap ! £50 and i went through x3 so made my own .
Agreed - complete rubbish and Whale should be ashamed of themselves. Mine went like an irrigation hose spouting water from numerous leaks. Got it replaced after threatening to out them on social media. Even the tap connector is cheap and cheerful.

OP
OP
Geoff185
Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
Thanks all, has a look today as he has picked up. Dealer gave him new whale pump and he is going to source the adapter for hose . Mine just has a hose lock type connector to fill the water tank

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back