Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Looking to purchase a new 12Volt TV for when no hook ups are available. Can we please be pointed in the right direction for a decent quality but without the high price tag. From what I have already been looking at the decent one seems to be the Avtex?, also want one that is approx 19" do not want a smaller one.

Any info gratefully received.

thanks
Andrea

tan

Free Member
Nov 17, 2009
Braintree. Essex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
3 years
tv 12v

I have just bought a 16" akura at makro for £88 with dvd dont know what its going to be like as not been used for real yet, they also had some 19" for about £150 again dont know what the are like but our previous set was a bush and that performed ok until i mixed up the connection on 12volt and blew it up.

terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Akura are ok i have had 2 of them now for the van, 1st one is still going strong the reason for the second purchase is that its hd ready and freeview and dvd are built in so saving on all those wires and units that i used to have to take and connect up.
If you get one make sure it has the 12v connection rather than the 'kettle' type connection as they are 240 only. but akura do do or did the 12/240 tvs up to 26" so do check it has the 12v imput

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
I have akura tv / dvd works fine cheap and cheerful does the job picks up free view on standard van ariel bought mine from amazon arrived with 24 hours

all the best
Rob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
see attachment
terry
netto has a 19 ins with free-view/ DVD player on Thursday for 129 quid but check if it is 12v by looking on the back
Link Removed

Attachments

• SIMPLE GUIDE TO 12 VOLT LCD TV FOR MOTORHOMES.doc
    28.5 KB · Views: 10

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a 19", I hope you have a trailer full of batteries and loads of solar power.
When off hookup you have to rememer electric is a limited commodity. 14" is ample for your size van and will use about 4-5amp per hour. I dread to think what a 19" will use

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
When off hookup you have to rememer electric is a limited commodity. 14" is ample for your size van and will use about 4-5amp per hour. I dread to think what a 19" will use

You would be surprised Roger. I have a 20" Akura 12/240v tv. The transformer has a rated output of 5 amp. When in use my control panel shows a drain of 4.5amp on the leisure batteries.

John

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Thats really good John, these LCD jobbies really are a lot more economical than I thought.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Avtex for moi Mrs Stig,, all day long,, How are you any how? are you back in the driving seat?

OP
OP
the stig

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
funnily enough Paul we have literally just got back in from the Docs and he has given Jeff the go ahead to drive again, muttering something thou about ventricular fib something or other. didn't wait their long enough to hear it all LOL:ROFLMAO:

thanks guys for all your input, just need to find the best place to get a bargain if thats possible.

OP
OP
the stig

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
has it been anyones experience then that a "bargain" can be had at Newark? been looking on Ebay and theres nothing there under 395.00 Have decided it must be Avtex 19" and LCD with DVD built in.

will check out Amazon, once again thou would be very grateful if anyone knows any other sites I could check out.

thanks in advance

Andrea

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

You would be surprised Roger. I have a 20" Akura 12/240v tv. The transformer has a rated output of 5 amp. When in use my control panel shows a drain of 4.5amp on the leisure batteries.

John
likewise....we have a 12v/230v akura 21.5" widescreen and it uses around the same.
it has multimedia connectivity....DVD....PC....HDMI (it is full HD)....and all other possible connections.
the same connectivity as an Avtex without the rediculous price tag.
i run this one on an Amporor 12v stabiliser...too expensive to take a chance.:RollEyes:

latest model (allegedly) and £224.

my previous 15" used around 2.5amps..around 5amps if using DVD..but thats been relegated to the bedroom :thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
It would seem there are quite a few of us that use akura tvs out there

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one advantage with an Avtex is the very wide viewing angle....around 170deg i believe :thumb:

you wont get that on a domestic tv :Sad:

disadvantage is...who wants to sit at the side and watch a 12" tall by 3" wide tv screen :roflmto:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We have both an Avtex 19" and an Akura 15.6" in the van. The kids watch the small one up fron when on the road. They are both to be recommended.
The Avtex does have a very good viewing angle and you can put the sound to the speakers via FM radio. Akura 19" with freeview and dvd on offer at Makro for 89.99 +vat until the 8th, but they may all be gone already, but an absolute bargain. You could buy 3 for the price of the Avtex.
But both are very good and do the job....

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
another vote for the 16"akura with dvd and freeview, got of ebay brand new in box for £100 , we just plug it straight into the 12v ,been using 2 years with no problems:thumb:

NIGELB

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
CO DURHAM
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
usb picture quality

We have both an Avtex 19" and an Akura 15.6" in the van. The kids watch the small one up fron when on the road. They are both to be recommended.
The Avtex does have a very good viewing angle and you can put the sound to the speakers via FM radio. Akura 19" with freeview and dvd on offer at Makro for 89.99 +vat until the 8th, but they may all be gone already, but an absolute bargain. You could buy 3 for the price of the Avtex.
But both are very good and do the job....
i have bought aw193d avtex when i displayed the pictures off the usb and memory card they are poor quallity but clear on laptop and ps3 could the tv be faulty what is yours like ?.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
i have bought aw193d avtex when i displayed the pictures off the usb and memory card they are poor quallity but clear on laptop and ps3 could the tv be faulty what is yours like ?.

I have watched movies off the usb on the avtex, no problems, nice clear picture.
:thumb:
I have not looked at photos as I keep them on the laptop, so no need to transfer onto a usb to look at them.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Looking to purchase a new 12Volt TV for when no hook ups are available. Can we please be pointed in the right direction for a decent quality but without the high price tag. From what I have already been looking at the decent one seems to be the Avtex?, also want one that is approx 19" do not want a smaller one.

Any info gratefully received.

thanks
Andrea

I've posted on this subject before but once again the backup from Avtex is second to none, I bought the 19" set through Capital stores and recieved next day delivery, unfortunately when I tried it out there was a fault with the DVD player, I rang Capital who gave me Avtex's direct phone number who when I contacted them they arranged courier collection for the set that was picked up the following morning,(Tuesday) and delivered the Thursday morning with a new DVD drive fitted that had been knocked in the original delivery, first rate service. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've posted on this subject before but once again the backup from Avtex is second to none, I bought the 19" set through Capital stores and recieved next day delivery, unfortunately when I tried it out there was a fault with the DVD player, I rang Capital who gave me Avtex's direct phone number who when I contacted them they arranged courier collection for the set that was picked up the following morning,(Tuesday) and delivered the Thursday morning with a new DVD drive fitted that had been knocked in the original delivery, first rate service. :thumb:
i would expect a brand new replacement tv, not a repair, on a new tv....Avtex after market service not that good then :Doh::Sad:

buy a tv from asda, comet, curry's and its a new replacement on the spot.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back