Applecross, is it worth a visit? (1 Viewer)

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Good afternoon

Just wondering if Applecross is worth a visit.

After doing Ardnamurchan on similar roads, 25 miles in 3 hoursish with the odd stop for sight seeing, it seems to be a long way around the coast (possible 5/6 hour round trip for maybe an hour or two stop at the end) if the end result is only to say "been there" not brave enough to do the pass route, unless I go early hours perhaps.

I'm in no rush have 16 days in the area so is doable if worth it.

Diabaig is also on my list to see, looks peaceful and beautiful.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
You bet it is.........no need to hurry free aire right in the middle of the bay.
We took our 6.75 m coachbuilt over the pass no problem.

Go and stay overnight then meander up the coast , plenty of free ( safe ) camping spots. You won't regret it.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Been 3 times, love it but depends what you like, love the Applecross Inn, the walled garden, kayaking with the seals, the peace, isolation, sunsets and tranquility. Deer wandering around the village. Highland cattle, views over the Minch (?) The sunsets. :love:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Been 3 times, love it but depends what you like, love the Applecross Inn, the walled garden, kayaking with the seals, the peace, isolation, sunsets and tranquility. Deer wandering around the village. Highland cattle, views over the Minch (?) The sunsets. :love:
and traditional music in the Applecross inn on Sunday afternoons by local musicians

OP
OP
Tezza

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Thanks for your prompt reply's, as you have had experience of doing the coastal route, roughly how long should I factor in to do the return 20+ mile coastal run,
same as Armanurchan 3 hoursish or more?
Wifey not keen on wilding so would rather set off early for a long day out and complete in one hit.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you have the time and like camp sites over wilding then there is a campsite up the hill behind the Applecross Inn, we stayed there it's fine you miss out a bit on some of the views but does let you enjoy the Inn in the evening. Camp site at http://applecross.uk.com/campsite/

As to the journey without going the pass route alot of it is tedious, cannot remember how long just longer than expected so must have taken 2 hours.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
We did the arduous coastal route in our 7.2m van. It was a hard and tiring drive with a lot of stopping to pass other vehicles and a lot of blind bends. I personally wouldnt recommend trying to do it in one day. I drove there and had a few hours there then wild camped at a beautiful spot on the route back.

We did stop for a cup of tea and walkabout for the dog en route,so i couldn't tell you exactly how long but i think it was a good 3hrs one way...
It is a beautiful place, well worth a visit. If we had more time we would have stayed longer....

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Applecross Inn, and the walled garden restaurant are worth the trip on there own.
Camp site is decent
We have done fairly big detours just to include a visit to Applecross
Book a table if you want to eat at the inn though they do take away from the van outside as well.
This is assuming you like seafood

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Applecross is excellent and, if you ask nicely, the boss at the pub will let you overnight in his car park across the road, on the bay, just for eating at his pub, which you probably would do anyway!

The 'difficult' onward route around the peninsular is not really an issue, unless you are trying to ride a bike up it!!! We took our Rapido 746 that way earlier this year, and it was no problem.

papaken

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
Did the run into Applecross from Durness, stayed at the campsite up the hill, ever had a meal there which was quite good and then came out down the "Pass of Cattle" for the panorama unfortunately low cloud spoilt the run down and had to persuade a foreign biker that it was easier for her to go back to a passing place than it was for me,6.5m motorhome some tight bends but reasonable views of oncoming traffic.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
definately worth a visit. Ullapool is great as well and easier driving.

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Go for it. Applecross Inn is great and the views are amazing. Enjoy the run up/down the Bealach too. They don't make roads like that any more :rock:

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Applecross is worth the effort. I wild camped on a jetty on southern most tip. I did the coastal route going which was fine and then the pass route back. It was end of April this year and was a bit scarey with snow and ice up there so all my concentration was spent keeping it on the road. Fortunately I was following the gritter lorry but I didn`t know that when I set off !
You`ll not regret it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back