Apple App Store infiltrated - Read if you have an iDevice. (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Siri says "resistance is futile"
Apple-Hacked.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks Karl. There's nothing on the list that I use but worth keeping an eye on.

As has been suggested on a couple of other forums these developers must be a special kind of stupid to download Xcode from a Chinese cloud service rather than from Apple and expect it to be OK. For those who don't know what Xcode is, it's the Apple app development base code. Downloading it from somewhere like that is akin do downloading Windows 10 from The Pirate Bay and expecting it to be legit.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
For those who don't know what Xcode is, it's the Apple app development base code..

Which in this case adds malicious code but why did Apple not detect this embedded code when they accepted the apps into their store ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Has anyone else installed ios 9 , I have , pretty much slowed everything down without any improvement that I can see:(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Which in this case adds malicious code but why did Apple not detect this embedded code when they accepted the apps into their store ?

Because it isn't malicious code as such and isn't embedded; it's a modified version of Xcode so the entire app is coded with it. 99% of all apps collect data and send it on to various places, this version of Xcode just sends it somewhere different.

I'm afraid the BBC articles haven't reported it very accurately. You need to dig a bit more to find a non-hysterical version of the story

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Has anyone else installed ios 9 , I have , pretty much slowed everything down without any improvement that I can see:(

I've installed it on my phone and it's fine. Not affected performance at all, quite happy with it. Not done my iPad yet.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When y
I've installed it on my phone and it's fine. Not affected performance at all, quite happy with it. Not done my iPad yet.
when you say not affected performance does that mean it's no better either, mine keeps wanting my apple password , havnt got a clue what it is so tried getting a new one but kept coming up with not good enough so gave up in the end so havnt got one at all now.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
it's a modified version of Xcode so the entire app is coded with it.

I don't know exactly what you mean, is Xcode a kernal that is attached to every app ? I still do not understand why Apply allowed the apps out without spotting malicious code. But never mind, the last time I worked on Apple it was Apple ][ running CPM via a Z80 card that turned it into a proper computer.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
When y

when you say not affected performance does that mean it's no better either, mine keeps wanting my apple password , havnt got a clue what it is so tried getting a new one but kept coming up with not good enough so gave up in the end so havnt got one at all now.

Asking for your Apple password 4 or 5 times in a row is a bloody annoying glitch in the Music app as far as I can tell. The current release of OS X is the same.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Asking for your Apple password 4 or 5 times in a row is a bloody annoying glitch in the Music app as far as I can tell. The current release of OS X is the same.
Do you know since posting this , I have just ,to try it again, downloaded an app and it never asked for any password old or new(n)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't know exactly what you mean, is Xcode a kernal that is attached to every app ? I still do not understand why Apply allowed the apps out without spotting malicious code. But never mind, the last time I worked on Apple it was Apple ][ running CPM via a Z80 card that turned it into a proper computer.

Xcode is basically the source code that all IOS apps are coded with. It's not attached to them, it is the app. The modified version which appears to be called XCodeGhost just allows the harvested data, which the apps would be collecting anyway to be directed to other places than normal. I think it does some other crude nonsense like resetting search pages, not sure why anyone would waste time and effort doing that these days. I haven't read enough to know exactly where it's happening, it could be something that only kicks in when the harvested data is being sent to wherever it's supposed to go. I'm not by any means an Xcode expert so don't know how it was hidden.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Do you know since posting this , I have just ,to try it again, downloaded an app and it never asked for any password old or new(n)

I think you'll find that there's an option now that allows you to choose how often it asks for a password when downloading free apps. You might perhaps have that set to never or whatever the longest period is, I know I do. (y) Also if you have an iPhone 6 you can use the finger print scan instead of your password.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
IPad 3 and absolutely no problems with any of the updates.......until this one at 9, my connection to my home fibre wi-fi has halved, no problem with my iMac OS X that's still connecting at 37 mbs

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
IPad 3 and absolutely no problems with any of the updates.......until this one at 9, my connection to my home fibre wi-fi has halved, no problem with my iMac that's still cor ting at 37 mbs

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have iPhone 5's, iPad mini 2 and an iPad Air 2. Haven't noticed
any slow down on anything, in fact the air 2 seems to have quite a few new features and seems a bit slicker.
Only problem I have is the I can't use my GoPro app because they haven't got it working with ios9.1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back