Apple aficionados / experts - advice please. (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I am tempted to get an Apple tablet but I want to be able to run an old(ish) Microsoft Money program on it. Quite simply is it possible, bearing in mind that I am no computer expert?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In one word No.
We still use Money 2001 runs fine in Win 10. Your best bet would be a windows 2in1 laptop/netbook can be used as a PC or a tablet.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I agree and concur with @Lenny HB , but as tablets go iPads are one of your safer bets and there are a plethora of money management apps from Apple on the App store.
Can't see it being easy even if possible to transfer your data from an MS program to a Crapple one our accounts in Money go back 20 years. The boss has a Crapad she likes it I hate it, just an overpriced browser IMO.

Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
nope wont be able to transfer, just offering some advice alongside the request for information.
Out of all the people i have helped in the decision on either ipad or android more ipad users have found the tablet easier to use from a "non technical" background.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Not sure what you are using on your old pc but I used Moneydanse on our old pc and then used the same when we brought our Mac a few years ago. Also use the same program as an app on the iPad/iphone and which ever device you enter/change details it updates the others. Bee using Moneydance for years.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I am tempted to get an Apple tablet but I want to be able to run an old(ish) Microsoft Money program on it. Quite simply is it possible, bearing in mind that I am no computer expert?

Your best bet is find an apple shop
or a reseller(looks like an apple shop)

And try theire display models and talk to a worker
They will spend ages talking and trying to find for your needs
Took me 2 hours to work out between Mac and Mac book pro
With the helpful salesman’s undivided attention

But they are not cheap refurbished are available though

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Not sure what you are using on your old pc but I used Moneydanse on our old pc and then used the same when we brought our Mac a few years ago. Also use the same program as an app on the iPad/iphone and which ever device you enter/change details it updates the others. Bee using Moneydance for years.

I'm using Microsoft Money 2005 UK. It is no longer supported by Microsoft and 2005 was the last / latest version of the program for the UK. It is a very competent bit of software and does all that I need and more, although it is a bit clunky by today's standards.

I have looked at more modern offerings but have not found anything I like as much or IMO as good. I will have a look at Moneydance as it is not one I have heard of.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
MS Money is still available for free download from Microsoft, although they don't support it anymore. Just search for the twilight edition. We used to use Quicken, which is now very old. When we changed from XP to Windows 7 it would not work. So downloaded the MS Money twilight edition FOC and it turns out to be much better than the Quicken version we used to use. And it works on Windows 10 with no problems.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
MS Money is still available for free download from Microsoft, although they don't support it anymore. Just search for the twilight edition. We used to use Quicken, which is now very old. When we changed from XP to Windows 7 it would not work. So downloaded the MS Money twilight edition FOC and it turns out to be much better than the Quicken version we used to use. And it works on Windows 10 with no problems.

Agreed it works well and that is what I have used since Money was introduced upgrading as new versions came along. However, to the best of my knowledge and as stated above by others it does not work on an Apple tablet. That was my question.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Agreed it works well and that is what I have used since Money was introduced upgrading as new versions came along. However, to the best of my knowledge and as stated above by others it does not work on an Apple tablet. That was my question.
I think other have answered that already with a resounding "no". There are some very good Windows based tablets and laptops about. I can recommend the Surface Pro 4. Very flexible and I can and do use it as a desktop or a laptop or a tablet. And I can expand the storage space with a micro SD card when it starts running out.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can I be a bit drippy here and ask what people do or use these money apps for.

Just curious :)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Money management ;).

Yeah I kind of got that but what are you managing.

Is everyone watching share prices and moving money around and buying shares?

I do internet banking for bill paying or transferring money, but everything else is standing orders or dd.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Okay, so this is going to sound somewhat anal. I monitor all of our accounts incomings and outgoings. As the historic data builds it enables the program to provide budget, cashflow and forecast planning data. In addition it enables me to check all the banking we do.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@Dorset Diver Now I understand (y)

Budgeting isn't something I have ever really done, on paper anyway.

I know when certain things have to be paid i.e. car insurance etc so ensure monies are available.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It is no longer supported by Microsoft and 2005 was the last / latest version of the program for the UK.

If it hasn't been supported for more than 10 years how can you possibly be confident that it's secure?

Is it really advisable to use such software for financial or other sensitive matters?

Get whatever tablet you want, it really doesn't matter. It's far more important that you change that software for something current.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Can I be a bit drippy here and ask what people do or use these money apps for.

Just curious :)
When we first starting using it we had two kids that we were paying school fees for, a mortgage and we did not have much spare cash. It helped us plan our spending better and made sure we could pay the bills when they came due. Simple as that.

But then I became self employed and I needed to keep proper records for the taxman, both Income Tax and VAT. So it became a necessity. And that continues to this day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back