appeal from liverpool marina to allow motorhome parking (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
i just received the following email. Liverpool Marina previously allowed overnight motorhome stays with facilities and they have been stopped pending appeal. If anyone would like to send a supporting letter they would be grateful - i just did it online and you dont need to create an account, just enter the reference

"Im not sure if you were aware of our problems with having motorhome here at the marina but I now have information for people to voice their support
here is the info for the appeal. Please support it and forward the info to as many websites - britstop, facebook etc / and friends as possible - we have until the 6th August

be a bit descriptive about your support -
you have stayed here - reason for visit? Friends, Concert, Tourism etc what you did and spent
Ideal location etc
You want to visit or just want to support

MOTORHOME APPEAL INFO:

Applicants name: Liverpool Marina
Appeal ref: APP/Z4310/W/18/3203773
Appeal start date: 5th July 2018

Appeal online at:
www.planningportal.gov.uk/planning/appeals/online/comment

or Email
West2@pins.gov.uk

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Your title implies you received an email from Liverpool Marina is that correct?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
So the Marina, presumably in private ownership and which allows boats on the water is now being told they cannot any longer allows motorhomes to stay overnight. I wonder if someone has found it necessary to complain and whether they have good grounds to do so or are just miserable sods. I wonder if the motorhomes caused any inconvenience, I doubt it.

Take a look on satellite view. The parking areas are not in line of sight to any residential property and just overlook the marina it’s their own car park.

Last edited:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I also received the same email. I have completed my appeal. It would be really good if we could gather a whole lot of Funsters to appeal as well. We must try to keep the Liverpool Marina open to Motorhomes.
Hope you will all support this.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Can someone please provide a link or copy of the background (what happened to stop motohomes staying there) I have followed the link but there is no information that I can find.

Thanks in advance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Can someone please provide a link or copy of the background (what happened to stop motohomes staying there) I have followed the link but there is no information that I can find.

Thanks in advance
The possibility of marina companies also becoming licensed caravan sites in order to allow motorhome camping was raised on the Whitby thread last Tuesday (see ).
I posted this link to the information about Liverpool. The Marina has apparently been allowing motorhomes so far without a licence or planning consent (shades of Ambleside).

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The reasons for refusal:

The proposal is considered unacceptable. Based on the requirements of local and national planning policy the proposal is considered to have a materially adverse impact upon the character and appearance of the area and the living environment and conditions of the surrounding residential apartments contrary to Policies E6, E8 and HD18 of the Liverpool UDP and the overarching principles of the National Planning Policy Framework.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
seems to me another stirring of a hornets nest by applying to a council for change of use from a car park to a campsite, instead of leaving well alone.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Reasons 1
The proposal is considered unacceptable. Based on the requirements of local and national planning policy the proposal is considered to have a materially adverse impact upon the character and appearance of the area and the living environment and conditions of the surrounding residential apartments contrary to Policies E6, E8 and HD18 of the Liverpool UDP and the overarching principles of the National Planning Policy Framework.

Or more likely someone on the council has a vested interest.

OP
OP
S
Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
seems to me another stirring of a hornets nest by applying to a council for change of use from a car park to a campsite, instead of leaving well alone.
They had to stop accepting Motorhomes due to enforcement if my memory serves me right

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
Now I will play devils advocate, you live near open space, privately owned, who decides that they were going to allow travellers to park there. Would you happily think.
They are only travellers, no harm done.
I cant see them, there lovely children only make noise from 7am and the dogs bark for 6 hours a day.
They have every right to park where they like iif the owner wants them there or
They can't bloody stop there, thats not I moved next too when I moved here.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
It would appear that unlike Whitby there have been no "locals" objecting, no reports of emptying toilets illegally and I cannot see anyone having a "vested interest" in this case so I can fond no obvious reason to reject the proposal! - The printed reasons for the rejection are somewhat "Official speak" and I do not really understand them - perhaps Graham @GJH could help me here please :)

Is it possible that the rejection was done more in ignorance than anything else? ie Councillors at the planning meeting not having the benefits (such as they are) explained to them so rather than think of a well run area with the acceptable space & facilities they think of the often publicised "Traveller mess" seen in the press??

On the other hand is it possible that really it was just straightforward bias (subliminal or not) against motorhomes/campervans/caravans and before anyone says caravans were not included, I am well aware of that, however, when it comes to bias the general public, including Councillors, often class MoHos, caravans, RVs etc all as one!

Either way I am puzzled by the decision and would really like to find out the thinking behind it

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
there have been no "locals" objecting,

we don't know that for a fact.. does this marina not have expensive residential flats overlooking it .. ?
materially adverse impact upon the character and appearance of the area and the living environment and conditions of the surrounding residential apartments

I would think someone or something drew there attention to the fact that it didn't have planning consent and they had to act.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we dont know the full facts but what it looked like to me was the owners had had some motorhomes stopping on their carpark no problem and thought ay up theres an earner here, we,ll apply to turn it into a campsite, so alerting council, h&s, enviourment and untold officials, so everyone around has to be told about something they had no idea what was happening and lo and behold they start protesting about something they know nowt about.
its what happens when you get greedy and start involving "officials"

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
in fact presumably you can sleep on the boats 10 foot away but not in a van(n)(n)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It would appear that unlike Whitby there have been no "locals" objecting, no reports of emptying toilets illegally and I cannot see anyone having a "vested interest" in this case so I can fond no obvious reason to reject the proposal! - The printed reasons for the rejection are somewhat "Official speak" and I do not really understand them - perhaps Graham @GJH could help me here please :)

Is it possible that the rejection was done more in ignorance than anything else? ie Councillors at the planning meeting not having the benefits (such as they are) explained to them so rather than think of a well run area with the acceptable space & facilities they think of the often publicised "Traveller mess" seen in the press??

On the other hand is it possible that really it was just straightforward bias (subliminal or not) against motorhomes/campervans/caravans and before anyone says caravans were not included, I am well aware of that, however, when it comes to bias the general public, including Councillors, often class MoHos, caravans, RVs etc all as one!

Either way I am puzzled by the decision and would really like to find out the thinking behind it
I haven't studied the documents in full (or chased up exactly what the policies in the Urban Development Plan cover) but the planning documents include one describing the benefits as far as the applicants see them. Unlikely, therefore, that the decision has been made in ignorance or on the basis of bias with no grounds.
Or more likely someone on the council has a vested interest.
Why? Where is there any evidence of that at all?
I would think someone or something drew there attention to the fact that it didn't have planning consent and they had to act.
I would guess it is either that or the applicant decided that he had better try to obtain consent before anything happened.

The fact that it has gone to appeal will hopefully (if it is anything like Ambleside) end up with a report detailing the full history and reasons if the rejection is upheld. All appeals are decided upon their merits and the inspector is an independent representative of the Secretery of State who certainly has no vested interest.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
A
we dont know the full facts but what it looked like to me was the owners had had some motorhomes stopping on their carpark no problem and thought ay up theres an earner here, we,ll apply to turn it into a campsite, so alerting council, h&s, enviourment and untold officials, so everyone around has to be told about something they had no idea what was happening and lo and behold they start protesting about something they know nowt about.
its what happens when you get greedy and start involving "officials"

They already charge £15 (£5 refundable on return of key card)
According to camper contacts.

And roadside on the beach is free up at new Brighton Wallasey

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
[QUOTE="jollyrodger, post: 2931194, member: 2310

And roadside on the beach is free up at new Brighton Wallasey[/QUOTE]

Yes, but not for much longer I suspect

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
[QUOTE="barsteward, post: 2931231, member: 33

Yes, but not for much longer I suspect[/QUOTE]

Why ?
N 53.43442 W 3.07388 :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Done
We intend to stay there in August and I have already booked tickets for the Terracotta Warriers exhibition for my birthday. Don’t know where to stay if not at the marina.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back