Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Good morning
Just been on the .GOV site to restart my VED for the season. I SORN'd it end of last year and now wish to tax it again but not from 1st. March 2015. I wish to tax it from 1st April 2015. Guess what,, cannot be done beforehand, you have to tax it on the 1st April because when you tax it the SORN is deemed to have finished that day. Is this really the service we pay for ??
Robert

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
It used to be the case that they thought you would ride round with it prior to 1st April but now that the tax disc has gone nobody would know anyway.

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Unless caught by ANPR somewhere. I phoned up and ask what the deal was and was informed if you remove the SORN it is deemed you are now using it on the road so it needs taxing. Having read through the site I see this corrupt government is allowing the vehicle to be taxed twice in a month if it is sold. Are we, the people, really this stupid to allow it to go on just so they can line their own pockets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
markh,,
Not saying it is difficult but why on earth can you not tax it to start on the 1st of the next month. If you have a reason you are allowed to re-tax 2 months ahead. I may be a little OCD but like to get the boxes ticked and one of them was to have it Taxed ready for going for service and mot on 1st April.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I know that it is very silly. I have had to tax mine before the 1st april to mot it. so I can road test it .

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Are they not giving you the option of taxing it from the 1st march, why not tax it from then if you dont want to do it on the 1st April. Or am I missing something.

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Buttons. Yes. The date they will allow me to tax from is 1st March. I will not be putting it on the road until 1st.April. Why lose a months tax?? Were it already taxed and due for renewal on 1st April I would have no problem. Why the disparity??
Robert

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
David58
Only a few quid for some...
But why can this not be done with this modern technology.
Robert

Nov 13, 2013
cornwall
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
3 years and not long enough
Just to put the cat among the pigeons:).....aren't we lucky that vehicles can be sorned .(y)....in the bad old days you had to tax it for the whole year no matter what.:(

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons. Yes. The date they will allow me to tax from is 1st March. I will not be putting it on the road until 1st.April. Why lose a months tax?? Were it already taxed and due for renewal on 1st April I would have no problem. Why the disparity??
Robert
Sorry still cant see what the problem is bb.......why not just tax it on 1st April then. The process only takes minuets on line and a conformation e-mail is received instantly. I have no love for the DVLA but I cant see why this would bring about such strong feelings.:)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just to put the cat among the pigeons:).....aren't we lucky that vehicles can be sorned .(y)....in the bad old days you had to tax it for the whole year no matter what.:(
Hmmm, don't think that's true. I've had bikes sat in the garage for years before DVLA wanted to know where they all went.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I see this corrupt government is allowing the vehicle to be taxed twice in a month if it is sold. Are we, the people, really this stupid to allow it to go on just so they can line their own pockets.
Right. I didn't realise that it was the GOVERNMENT that taxed your vehicle. Stupid me, I thought that it was the DVLA, who seem to make stupid decisions whatever government is the flavour of the moment, and have done for God knows how many years. Anyway, your rich enough! :);)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
You can actually tax it from PM March 31 to be effective April 1..

I "un-Sorned" one of my cars for March 1 and right up to midday on February 28 the only effectivity offered was February 1 but just after midday it changed to March 1.

I guess this is to allow people who wish to use their cars early on the first day of the month but don't have on-line access at that hour.

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Thanks geriatric at last something helpful. Will certainly try pm 31st.
Tootles not sure I know you. Wish I was rich. Where do you think the money goes, certainly not on highway s upkeep.
Buttons the fact is I can renew my car tax from the 5th of the month if already taxed....why not a vehicle which is SORN'd ? The guy on the phone just said "You could be using it before the end of month. Anything else I can help you with ? "

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Buttons the fact is I can renew my car tax from the 5th of the month if already taxed....why not a vehicle which is SORN'd ? The guy on the phone just said "You could be using it before the end of month. Anything else I can help you with ? "
Now I see the light . & the dvla man is right . You could always tax a vehicle early in the month if it was already taxed but if you had an untaxed vehicle off road before, which was perfectly legal before sorn, then you were never allowed to tax until the last day of the month to start on the 1st of the following. If you needed to tax quicker then it would always start from the 1st of month you were in.

You are perfectly correct in that the ved is now being paid twice on a vehicle being sold.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No you didnt....you just didnt tax it and kept it off the road (Officially at least)
i often used to get 13 months tax for the price of 12 months.

How ?.......just carry all the taxation documentation in the glove box and if stopped produce the docs and explain you are just going to the post office to tax it.
if you didnt get stopped tax it from the first of the following month (month 14)

Sorn is nothing more than keeping an official and electronic record.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The guy on the phone just said "You could be using it before the end of month. Anything else I can help you with ? "
Agreed, you could.
but DVSA must have the ability to continue SORN and withhold purchased ved until the requested start date...ie: 1st of the following month......after all, its only a date they have to enter in the records.

It appears DVSA dont explore every possible scenario when the introduce something new....only the obvious ones.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think this is a north of Watford situation, down here we would just tax it from the 1st march and that would be that. You Yorkie's are a canny bunch.:)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think this is a north of Watford situation, down here we would just tax it from the 1st march and that would be that. You Yorkie's are a canny bunch.:)
Why pay more tax than you have too ?

From your reply Buttons, you wouldnt object to the taxman knocking a couple of digits off your personal tax code....same thing as paying for a months ved you dont intend using.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not at all......by having the van taxed and ready to go you could just get some use out of it before April fools day.

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Better idea buttons. You send me the twenty quid and I will waste it for you. :rolleyes:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I don't see how you can tax a vehicle that has no MOT, anyway? Or doesn't it expire until a little while after 1st April - think you still have to have a week left on it don't you?

Anyway if you have a problem with what DVLA are doing why don't you write to their Research arm, explain the perceived problem and suggest they carry out an investigation to find out how many people are upset by it?

They do this you know, carry out research to gauge public (or indeed, trade) opinion in order to try and make stuff easier for us !

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

Half right, But....
Before SORN, (Statutory Off Road Notice) you had the choice of 6 or 12 months, (and for the REALLY OLD Gimmers, 4 months, 6 months and 12 months before that)
But, you could get a refund on the used part if you sent it back and errr........ that was it.

There was no SORN and you didn't go through the hoops of telling everyone that the vehicle was off the road.

Last month, when trying to get the 'van uprated weight wise the mob in Swansea wouldn't let me do it untaxed and insisted that I tax it for the the 1st of the following month.
But then they sent all the Doc's back and I would have been quite entitled to SORN the 'van and get all that tax back.
It didn't make sense then and it still doesn't

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back