Apache Saregent EC225 not charging Batteries (1 Viewer)

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Hello,

We were away this weekend on a pitch with electric hookup. Normally when on hook up the EC100 panel shows the voltage at the top of the LED display. This weekend, having the hook up connected made no difference to the levels.
Using the fans for the heating made the voltage gradually drop although during the day this would recover a bit as the solar panel fed in some power. Turning the EC225 charger on or off made no audible difference to the speed the heating fans were running.
I think the charger has failed on the 12v side. Throughout all this the 230/240 services worked ok (fridge, heater, 3 pin sockets)
I've checked fuses, tried disconnecting both the hook up and taking out the battery fuses and leaving the system for a few minutes before reconnecting.
Are there any other things I can try or check before sending the Unit to Sargent for repair?
Thanks in anticipation

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Sounds to me like you have checked all you can and found the issue.
Charger section sounds like it has failed..

BUT Check with Sargent first (y) They are pretty helpful..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Finally managed to get chance at work today to call Sargent. They have confirmed that they don't repair the EC325 units any more due to the supplier of the charging unit going out of business. They suggested another test involving checking the voltages at the feed to the batteries to see if any 12V being produced by the charger. If it is dead then the only option they can offer is to buy an EC328.
A few more questions for you all please:

1) Has anyone successfully swapped a EC325 for the EC328?

2) Did you buy a newer EC328 control panel or stick with the older EC100?

3) Also, I've read advice saying you should not install solar panel controllers in parallel with the Sargent 328 unit but use the Sargent to control the Solar as well. Currently there is a separate Solar controller in our van and the 325 instructions don't mention Solar as an input. Has anyone else had this situation and connected the Solar into the 328 unit?

4) There are other companies advertising that they can repair the EC325 (or trade in broken unit against a refurbished one) . Has anyone experience of doing this and can recommend a supplier?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you disconnected the batteries and checked their voltages as it could be a duff battery dragging the charger output down.

Could be cheaper and easier just to replace the charger section of the Sargent with something like a Ctec charger.

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Not tried that yet. The solar panel is gradually topping the batteries up so i was presuming the batteries which are less than a year old are ok. That's another check for the weekend, thanks for the tip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
next update - i spoke to Sargent who suggested a couple of checks with a voltage meter. They confirm there is no 12v output from the 225 unit so time for an expensive replacement.

Our Apache is 7 years old and must be getting to the time when a few things fail as the Awning light has not stopped working. I've read up on the process for easing the fitting away from the Van to change the bulb but does anyone know what bulb to order (I would rather not have to prise the unit off the van to check the bulb before ordering it)? I can find no reference to a bulb type in the handbooks or the internet.

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Finally got chance to swap the unit and the control panel for the 328 replacements this morning. So far so good. I've notice the LED display doesnt go off on the control panel but everything else seems fine.
Thanks to everyone for you helpful advice :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back