Apache 700 Vs Bailey Autograph 695 Vs Bessacarr 496 (1 Viewer)

sgooduk

Free Member
Jun 13, 2015
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
none
Hi Guys,

I am now at a point that I am ready to purchase one of the above, looking at 2015 MY.

I have 4 children hence all need the 6 traveling seats and Pullman dinette.

I can get a particular good deal on all of them, but the bailey comes out cheapest obviously but needs an awning and tv's etc.. adding to price..

Whats the verdict on these vehicles, I do like the Alde heating option on the bailey. Also I want to do a skiing trip so winterised and heating is a factor.

I was initially looking at the Auto Trail Scout, however I just didn't feel I was getting 67k worth of motorhome. Hence decided to cap my spend to 55k tops.

The bailey feels bigger to me than the 700 but i think this is the curved wet room n the bailey. The shower seems a little tight on the AT also. Not been in the bessacarr yet off to see one tomorrow.

Thanks in advance i am a total novice to MH ownership.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Cant speak for the bailey but unless you are a large person the shower in theAT is very adequate. This is ourd 3rd MH in 2 years and finally got sonething that suits.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Have you also compared payload weight ??
Remember carrying that many people plus all their kit will add up !
Adding an awning and tv to the bailey will deduct from your payload.

Have to ask as well that you are covered with your license as these vans are all over 3500kg so you need to have passed your test before 1997 or taken an additional test to cover c1 ?

The 700 is a great van, plenty of locker space ( I found the Bailey lacking when i last lokked). 6 belted seats are NOT standard so will need to be a factory order unless you find one ready done, as above the weight of the extra seat mounts comes from the payload,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

sgooduk

Free Member
Jun 13, 2015
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
none
Thanks,

Yes I am doing the C1 license crash course ;) in a few weeks.

6 berth vans at 3500kg just seem stupid I would never get in under with all our stuff :)

I have 4 children 18month, 5, 8,9.

The Bailey has a max payload of 3850kg with 633kg of useable payload.

AT has a little more at 805KG. i have been offered a 700 with upgraded engine to 150bhp and media pack brand new ÂŁ53750 quite a saving off list.

However can get a factory ordered bailey @ 45500. so add 800 for awning, 200 for reverse cam, 500 tv/dvd + ariel still quite a lot cheaper than the AT..

My wife like the drop down bed on the bailey... I dunno its real hard choice :)

Seems pros and cons for both..... I think if the AT had the Alde heating that would swing it for me...

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I don't think the Bailey would have enough storage. Just my personal opinion. Not enough space for 2 for us never mind 4 children plus 2 adults.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Do your research, coming / joining on here is a good move..
We often see people who join, after the event and when they have issues..

Might be worth a google on Bailey / Autotrail water ingress... !!!
I think Bailey stopped their 10 year warranty and knocked it down to 6, AT are still 10 year.
Lots of stories, mine included... But seem's whatever van you choose you can find issues..

Usually I advise people not to buy first van new, your never 100% sure on what you need till you start using it... You can loose a lot of money if you have to re-sell / part ex in the first few years. Motorhomes hold some value but only if they are kept for a good time.

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
We have recently bought a new 700 and have to say really pleased with it. This is our second MH, we did look at the bessacarr but found it lacking storage. Have had a couple of small issues which have been sorted under warranty.
I would take the offer of the higher bhp version if you decided to go for it as mine was the 130bhp version and I have to say I though it was very underpowered for the weight of the van which in turn made fuel economy poor.
I remap cars, van and motorhomes anyway so for me it wasn't a problem and now it's remapped it performs better and I'm now 4 mpg better off. . Hopefully when we go to Spain later in the year I'll get even more.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've got s 2o14 Beseccarr 496. Had it from new
Really good van, in particular the full size shower cubicle
We're considering upgrading to a Carthago A class as we'd like an island bed. Ours would be a great buy if you were interested

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We have an Apache 700se - fantastic bit of kit, ours is the 3850 model and now with air suspension rear and full solar so we don't plug in any more, never without power and drives like a dream. The large U shaped lounge, Pullman diner and mahoosive overcab makes it the perfect choice for us, with the separate shower/loo it's great.
We had an early Talbot Kon-Tiki 640 before this one and we searched for ages to get a more modern van with the same layout - just couldn't 'fit' with anything else. A large area to lounge in in the rear, then tea time we move to the front diner to eat etc,,,, then pile back into the U shaped for drinks and settle down 'comfortably' to a good film. Our next one will probably be an Arapaho just another meter longer but similar layout,,,,,, just have to knock down half the house for the additional meter though.:laughing:

Masses of storage under the U shape and forward bunks and nothing is on display - also cupboards aplenty.

Your a bit far away but if your passing Somerset your welcome to come and try out.

Regards,

Trikeman. :wink:

OP
OP
S

sgooduk

Free Member
Jun 13, 2015
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
none
What's a Bailey 695 ?
765 sorry So many numbers ;)

Im going to view the bessacarr tomorrow, I am edging on that now since reading the spec books it seems very similar to the autotrail in spec and I like the drop down bed..

Thanks Trikeman,

Robert, it works out better for me to buy new the way i am financing it.

Cheers

Scott

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hi Guys,

I am now at a point that I am ready to purchase one of the above, looking at 2015 MY.

I have 4 children hence all need the 6 traveling seats and Pullman dinette.

I can get a particular good deal on all of them, but the bailey comes out cheapest obviously but needs an awning and tv's etc.. adding to price..

Whats the verdict on these vehicles, I do like the Alde heating option on the bailey. Also I want to do a skiing trip so winterised and heating is a factor.

I was initially looking at the Auto Trail Scout, however I just didn't feel I was getting 67k worth of motorhome. Hence decided to cap my spend to 55k tops.

The bailey feels bigger to me than the 700 but i think this is the curved wet room n the bailey. The shower seems a little tight on the AT also. Not been in the bessacarr yet off to see one tomorrow.

Thanks in advance i am a total novice to MH ownership.
Might be wrong but isn't the Baileys quite a bit wider than the other 2 vans might be a problem on narrow roads one of the reasons I excluded it from my choice

OP
OP
S

sgooduk

Free Member
Jun 13, 2015
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
none
Ok went to see the bessacarr today, think I am going to buy that.. Its bigger but seems as well equipped as the auto trail but less money. Doesn't seem to have as much interior storage and the bathroom, is not as nice to look at, but Im not spending my hols on the loo hopefully ;)

My wife didn't like the bailey at all due to the ever changing levels through the van.

Anyone owned the 964 comment on driving build quality etc..??

Thanks

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi haven't owned any of these vans so can't comment, I would however be careful with the weight issue and have a look how the payloads is worked out. I'm sure they work the payload out with just the driver and possibly 1 Passenger and a tankful of fuel, so if you only have 600 or 700KG you. Won't get much in it after you've added four kids and some basic essentials like food and clothes. Then you might want to take car seats picnic seats and table, add a TV and then the kids might want bikes, then if you want to carry water in your tank. Just take your time and work it out I'm sure someone on here might have been Alan (laneside) weighed his van empty and it was a lot heavier than thought.
Always better to take your time work things out saves a lot of worry later, also check if the vans can be updated to 4000KG.
Good luck

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
with 4 growing kids and two adults and all their stuff you should be looking at 4.25 kg + vans at least! None of you choices inspire to be honest, seen to many issues with weight and damp/build quality with all of them. IMO you will be better of looking at German 7 berth vans as you will get belted seats for all that way. plus far better value if you import

OP
OP
S

sgooduk

Free Member
Jun 13, 2015
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
none
Can you suggest a model I have been struggling to find many vans with 6 3 point belts and that have reasonable living space for 6. The rear lounge gives us all plenty of room and two seating areas.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I did a search for someone a few weeks ago but cant find the results. you will have to go through this list of 44 that have come up as suitable. From memory their was a hymer that looked pretty good I thought.

Broken Link Removed

edit: a did the date from 2010 this time to limit the number of vans, but Hymer not there now..maybe it was an earlier van. Can aways change the perimeters of search

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Whatever choice you make just make sure that you do your own PDI ! also make sure that the dealer shows you how to work everything and make sure you actually see it working !!
As previous poster have said you pays your money, you take your chance !! we have had a Bialy 740, nice van everything worked great for 5 months and then when on hols in Spain the 240v combined with the 12v decided one evening to give up the ghost and we were wakened by the fire alarm going off. ( see other post on here about that.
Bought a new AT Arapaho few years before that and it was the biggest heap of do da !! we ever had and had to resort to legal action over it !
The Bessacar tag axle we had gave us no problems whatsoever !!
Personally think that for most UK manufacturers it is pot luck if you get a good un and when you do it's worth keeping.
We know have an Elddis 175 2 berth and 6 month later are very happy with it, only small problem we had was that the kitchen cupboard above the cooker where the lover covering actually twisted with the heat !! called dealer/sent photograph and had a replacement within 2 weeks !!
Cannot really believe in the huge price difference for similar Uk spec motorhomes ! like you said is that difference really worth it ??
We fitted extra battery and a 120 solar panel, a Fiamma awning and of the cash we saved it will pay for several years trips to Spain ! Sorted !!

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
We have 2 kids and a dog and love our Apache 700 se ,However if your thinking of going skiing the vans your looking at are not fit for the job!
I'd be looking at a euramobil fully winterised some with end and middle lounge large tanks and built for all weather .

Vlad

OP
OP
S

sgooduk

Free Member
Jun 13, 2015
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
none
I'll be honest mate I see nothing on that german list inspiring, all very old ugly cabs, the 7 berth layout on a 7.2 metre vehicle with rear bunks is massively cramped when you get 6 round the table. The small dinette I struggled to get my legs under in the rollerteam 707 which is basically the same layout as the rimor 7berths etc..

If you find the hymer send me the link please.

tjay, thanks for the comments it really does seem a luck of the draw sort of thing. I have read bad things about every van...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'll be honest mate I see nothing on that german list inspiring, all very old ugly cabs, the 7 berth layout on a 7.2 metre vehicle with rear bunks is massively cramped when you get 6 round the table. The small dinette I struggled to get my legs under in the rollerteam 707 which is basically the same layout as the rimor 7berths etc..

If you find the hymer send me the link please.

tjay, thanks for the comments it really does seem a luck of the draw sort of thing. I have read bad things about every van...

I just did a quick generic search as I was on the way out. If you specify models of interest search can be refined. The other thread I was thinking about is here.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/suggestions-on-new-motorhome-upgrade-please.109598/

Martin also has 4 young children as well.....may be worth comparing notes:)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
A good point made by Vlad, if you are thinking of using the motorhome in the winter then non of the ones you have listed are fully winterised, you really need to be looking at one of the foreign built motorhomes.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Bailey is an inch wider,

Swift espirit vs bessacarr no real difference??
Are you sure, I have it as 2.42m Bailey against 2.31m the other 2
Probably why at shows they put big plant pots at the front where the cab joins the body so you can't see the extra width(y)

OP
OP
S

sgooduk

Free Member
Jun 13, 2015
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
none
Hi Vlad,

Apparently the bessacarr is winterised as standard with grade 3 insulation or summit. Also lagged pipes with heated waste and fresh water tanks. Still no good??

My friend is trying to get me to go for a kon tiki as we can then buy 2 but I told him he needs to get a substantial discount for me to be onboard :) 15% to be precise....

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
dont believe the hype? fully winterised are vans with heated double floors with all the tanks/pipework within....

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Have now done two winters in our Bailey Approach 740SE ( heated fresh water tank ) NEVER had a problem . All toasty warm with no freezing issues . Granted not been to the top of Mony Blanc in January but then again i have no intention of doing so !
Re the width of the Bailey , that's why we bought it !

OP
OP
S

sgooduk

Free Member
Jun 13, 2015
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
none
So the kon tiki no good either for winter? Despite the manufacturer claims.

Adbt, yeah the cold testing on the bailey reads well going to -20 or summit, I favored the bailey tbh but the missus dont like it in the flesh.... She loved it in the brochure :(

Gosh what a stressful purchase this is turning into ;) lol

OP
OP
S

sgooduk

Free Member
Jun 13, 2015
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
none
Ok the kon tiki and bessacarr both alko chassi (same as bailey) and have double floor just not heated but insulated. Is that not good enough???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back