Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
Nice one.

I think Mosley is an unrecognised genius and we should thank the producers of Horizon for regularly televising his ideas.

In a world where drug companies will make billions from diabetes and the endless prescribing of metformin, and an NHS where doctors are rewarded for prescribing such drugs and penalised for getting patients to lose weight, he's a rare voice.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Jenny was brought up in a house where they had chips once a week, bacon, sausage and black pudding were all grilled not fried, though of course the eggs were and that all only happened rarely. Spuds and bread never appeared at the same mealtime, cakes were baked and had to last X no of days so you weren't allowed to pig out on them - and sweets were still on ration so eg a Mars bar was always cut up into slices and shared, one slice a day, between her and her sister.

Starchy, fatty and sugary foods were known to make people fat and nobody wanted to be fat or have fat kids, end of story. Later her older sister did O level Domestic Science and learned about the actual science of good nutrition - the GCSE exam choice of meal types to present whatever menu the pupil chose had to be nutritionally balanced with a mixture of hot and cold food, properly cooked, correctly and attractively presented and garnished accompanied with suitable condiments, cutlery, and drinks.

None of this was a revelation in her house!

Her mother wasn't super intelligent, nobody until Big Sis had been to Grammar School let alone University - just a totally normal family.

She carried this over into her married life, as did Jenny, so when Jenny was diagnosed Type 1 in 1972 - she never needed to change a thing about her dietary habits, other than spacing the carbs out a bit more with the insulins available back then. However EVERYBODY that had anything whatever to do with diabetes of any sort - not just the medical professional - knew for an absolute fact that anyone with any type of D could not process carbohydrate of any kind sort or variety, properly.

She still eats less than 80g of carbohydrate most days. Let's face it - protein tastes far nicer!

Why, HOW, do people generally not know this fact now?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
May I ask if you have Diabetes and how the blood sugar diet affected it?
Yes I have Diabetes,using the diet my HBA1C reading dropped from 69 to 45. It has slowly gone up to 55 by cutting the carbs. I have now started to stick closely to the diet again to get it back down.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Spooky this should come up. I am just into day two of a trial of the carnivore diet. Basically all I can eat is meat. This may sound like it is crazy but I have read a lot about the science behind this.
Processed carbs are the reason for most of todays health issues.

I am not going to write a full wall of text. But the human body can power itself from 2 sources. Ketones and Glucose. If you eat food that is readily converted to glucose the body will use it first. If you produce too much glucose it will store it as fat. However, if you eat no carbs, then you body can go into ketosis which is where your body converts fat to ketones which are then used via a variety of processes to power your body.

If you can get your body into ketosis your body will start consuming the fat inside your body rapidly.

The carnivore diet takes the Keto diet one step further by removing all carbs. I have read quite a bit about this and have been convinced enough to test the theory. Basically I am eating a high fat diet with zero carbs to persuade my body to go into ketosis. The beauty of this diet is that there is no calorie counting, no health risks (except in for some people) and it is easy to manage.

I am not one to do diets and certainly not the nuttiers ones and I avoided things like the atkins diet.

I have bought a load of different meats and have eaten each one with nothing else on the side over the last two days. I have discovered that both chicken and pork which I usually love aren't great on their own, however steak with only a sprinkling of salt is delicious and I can't see myself getting bored of that. Also eggs are on the menu as well.

I wasnt' going to mention this until after I was 30 days in and knew the results.

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
I am diabetic, type 2, and did the blood sugar diet a few months back for 8 weeks losing 12 lbs. A bit of discipline, a bit of ecercise and it's not difficult. It's a mindset thing for me.

I had 2 stents on the 27th June and, since the 22nd June, pre op, have, until today, lost another 7.5lbs by doing a modified blood sugar diet ( more like 5:2)

The prceived wisdom of the medics is 'little and often' for diabetics but I find that one good meal a day with crudites mid afternoon and fruit afterwards is the best way for me to lose weight and control my diabetes.whic is now not really an issue. I rarely eat carbs but other than that have a good range of foods, including the odd bit of cheese.

When having a diabetic check, after losing the 12lbs, the nurse asked what I had been doing and I told her about the blood sugar diet of which she had no previous knowledge. My diabetic check have not shown raised sugar levels for 2-3 years now and I feel much better and looking forward to 3 months in Switz, France, Ceramy and Spain from next week.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Well i can tell you that my Daughter and Son in law have been using Ketosis for ages....and it works
Cant wail to hear how you are getting on
Steak and eggs for breakfast....or Special K with skimmed milk....no contest

I did consider the Keto diet but too hard to maintain ketosis from what I could see and the only way to be sure is blood tests (thumb prick)..

Today it was ham and fried eggs for breakfast. Steak for lunch, and I have just finished eating to roast chicken drumsticks and two pork chops. Oh and had a tin of mackeral as a snack.
Apparently I am eating out of habit at the moment but within a week or less my eating will drop down dramatically to perhaps 1 or 2 meals a day with zero desire to snack.

Tomorrow it it thick cut bacon and eggs for breakfast (or whenever I get hungry 1st). Then a large sirloin steak for main meal.

It was a Jordan Peterson video that made me aware of this and must have spent around 20+ hours reading and watching videos by doctors etc..

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Spooky this should come up. I am just into day two of a trial of the carnivore diet. Basically all I can eat is meat. This may sound like it is crazy but I have read a lot about the science behind this.
Processed carbs are the reason for most of todays health issues.

I am not going to write a full wall of text. But the human body can power itself from 2 sources. Ketones and Glucose. If you eat food that is readily converted to glucose the body will use it first. If you produce too much glucose it will store it as fat. However, if you eat no carbs, then you body can go into ketosis which is where your body converts fat to ketones which are then used via a variety of processes to power your body.

If you can get your body into ketosis your body will start consuming the fat inside your body rapidly.

The carnivore diet takes the Keto diet one step further by removing all carbs. I have read quite a bit about this and have been convinced enough to test the theory. Basically I am eating a high fat diet with zero carbs to persuade my body to go into ketosis. The beauty of this diet is that there is no calorie counting, no health risks (except in for some people) and it is easy to manage.

I am not one to do diets and certainly not the nuttiers ones and I avoided things like the atkins diet.

I have bought a load of different meats and have eaten each one with nothing else on the side over the last two days. I have discovered that both chicken and pork which I usually love aren't great on their own, however steak with only a sprinkling of salt is delicious and I can't see myself getting bored of that. Also eggs are on the menu as well.

I wasnt' going to mention this until after I was 30 days in and knew the results.

I certainly agree that carbs, especially processed carbs are bad, but what about veggies and fruit for fibre and vitamins?

Is a meat only diet sustainable?

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Thank you for posting about the Jordan Peterson meat only diet Gromett.

My wife was diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic about 5 years ago, the medical profession tried her on various pill based solutions to help but she could not tolerate any of them so had to resort to insulin injections.

The problem is that it is a fact that the insulin does result in an increase in weight and then the vicious circle starts with an increase in insulin requirement as the weight piles on. She is now on double the amount that she started on.

This diet seems the ideal way forward in an endeavour to start the weight decrease and the gradual decrease in insulin requirement which will follow. She is going to try it so Iā€™ll let you know how she progresses after a monthā€™s trial.

Mike

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you for posting about the Jordan Peterson meat only diet Gromett.

My wife was diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic about 5 years ago, the medical profession tried her on various pill based solutions to help but she could not tolerate any of them so had to resort to insulin injections.

The problem is that it is a fact that the insulin does result in an increase in weight and then the vicious circle starts with an increase in insulin requirement as the weight piles on. She is now on double the amount that she started on.

This diet seems the ideal way forward in an endeavour to start the weight decrease and the gradual decrease in insulin requirement which will follow. She is going to try it so Iā€™ll let you know how she progresses after a monthā€™s trial.

Mike
Good luck. Please don't take my experiment on this as advice that it is good. Like Peterson I am not an expert. I have read an awful lot with me in mind and I think it will suite me. Only time will tell.

One thing to watch out for is Keto Flu. Look it up.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I certainly agree that carbs, especially processed carbs are bad, but what about veggies and fruit for fibre and vitamins?

Is a meat only diet sustainable?

Fibre is actually over rated. It is thought that the standard nutritional advice on this is wrong by a growing number of doctors. There have been experiments with people who have constipation by removing all fibre and they have recovered much quicker.
( Broken Link Removed )

For vitamins and minerals, meat actually contains everything you need except for Vitamin C. However Vitamin C is thought to be used in the Glucose chain of processing energy and is not required on a meat only diet. The small amount required can be gotten from eating organ meat such as livers.

I have watched maybe 15 hours of videos around food science over the last 5+ days since seeing that peterson video and I am fairly convinced though that although we can process vegetable matter it is not what we were originally designed for. The evidence is not 100% conclusive but it is extremely persuasive. I am extremely sceptical on stuff like this so I did take some persuading.
If it hadn't been for the Peterson interview someone who I respect I would have dismissed it as another fad.

Is a meat only diet sustainable.. I don't intend to be on it for the rest of my life. I will use it to get down to my ideal weight, then slowly reintroduce stuff one each week. For instance I will look forward to adding back onions, mushrooms, peas, carrots and Broccoli. However I will probably never go back to eating processed carbs like bread, pasta or even rice and I will certainly be avoiding batter and similar coatings.

However, this all presumes it works. If I feel terrible at the end of 30 days and have put on weight I drop it like a hot brick... I am not prejudging this and I am still cautious about the possibilities it was a coincidence for Peterson and others are just fibbing in some way... Only a 30 day trial for me will prove it one way or the other.

But on the science I am convinced there is something to it. Especially on the vegetable oil stuff and the polyunsaturated fat being bad for you.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Fibre is actually over rated. It is thought that the standard nutritional advice on this is wrong by a growing number of doctors. There have been experiments with people who have constipation by removing all fibre and they have recovered much quicker.

For vitamins and minerals, meat actually contains everything you need except for Vitamin C. However Vitamin C is thought to be used in the Glucose chain of processing energy and is not required on a meat only diet. The small amount required can be gotten from eating organ meat such as livers.

I have watched maybe 15 hours of videos around food science over the last 5+ days since seeing that peterson video and I am fairly convinced though that although we can process vegetable matter it is not what we were originally designed for. The evidence is not 100% conclusive but it is extremely persuasive. I am extremely sceptical on stuff like this so I did take some persuading.
If it hadn't been for the Peterson interview someone who I respect I would have dismissed it as another fad.

Is a meat only diet sustainable.. I don't intend to be on it for the rest of my life. I will use it to get down to my ideal weight, then slowly reintroduce stuff one each week. For instance I will look forward to adding back onions, mushrooms, peas, carrots and Broccoli. However I will probably never go back to eating processed carbs like bread, pasta or even rice and I will certainly be avoiding batter and similar coatings.

However, this all presumes it works. If I feel terrible at the end of 30 days and have put on weight I drop it like a hot brick... I am not prejudging this and I am still cautious about the possibilities it was a coincidence for Peterson and others are just fibbing in some way... Only a 30 day trial for me will prove it one way or the other.

But on the science I am convinced there is something to it. Especially on the vegetable oil stuff and the polyunsaturated fat being bad for you.
The great thing about the 5:2 diet is that youā€™re only dieting for 2 days a week, then you can eat normally for 5

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
oh and I am eating 2-3 tins of oily fish a week as a treat (yuk)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The great thing about the 5:2 diet is that youā€™re only dieting for 2 days a week, then you can eat normally for 5
But on the carnivore diet I eat 7 days a week and bacon is not only allowed it is recommended :p
Any diet that recommends bacon can't be bad :D

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
To be fair, I think the 5:2 diet is excellent and I think it works on a slightly less extreme version of the Keto/Carnivore principle of putting your body into starvation mode where it uses fat and goes into repair mode.

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
Exactly that Gromett. You have to eat normally, within reason, on the 5 days to 'shock' your body on the other two.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
But on the carnivore diet I eat 7 days a week and bacon is not only allowed it is recommended :p
Any diet that recommends bacon can't be bad :D

Itā€™s nice to enjoy pasta, cheesecake, ice cream, bacon, fried bread, chips, crisps, beer, wine etc 5 days a week and still lose weight

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Itā€™s nice to enjoy pasta, cheesecake, ice cream, bacon, fried bread, chips, crisps, beer, wine etc 5 days a week and still lose weight
Yup, but I couldn't stick to the 2 days a week with such low amounts of food. I am a greedy snacker...

As I say, I am not an expert on this stuff. I just know I think this one has more of a chance of working for me...

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
This is Sedge.

So where do you intend getting the trace elements, enzymes and stuff that the body needs, Karl?

Meat's never a bad thing as long as it isn't processed - and the body can make the glucose it needs to fuel its cells from both protein and fat, it's just that it's lazy and it's far easier to make glucose out of carbs - but the main thing in any diet whether you are diabetic or not, is portion control. The protein part of a meal is supposed to be no larger than a pack of playing cards - in your dreams it would be for most people over the age of 7 !

Incidentally you can get strips to test your urine to see if you have ketones over the counter at pharmacies, about Ā£5 a pot, but they do not differentiate between the purely dietary ones and the ones which turn a diabetic person's blood acidic and can (and does!) kill them - so it's not whatsoever recommended to anyone with diabetes. I have a meter, similar to a Glucometer in appearance, which I can use to test my blood for the dangerous little swines, and they are buggers to get rid of I can tell you.

Only available on prescription in the UK, they cannot be purchased direct and the strips are much more expensive and supplied in less quantity than those for Glucometers. For interest due to my own stupidity forgetting to take a supply of extra glucometer strips up to Doncaster the other week, I had to buy some. Ā£28 odd for a tub of 50.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This is Sedge.

So where do you intend getting the trace elements, enzymes and stuff that the body needs, Karl?

Meat's never a bad thing as long as it isn't processed - and the body can make the glucose it needs to fuel its cells from both protein and fat, it's just that it's lazy and it's far easier to make glucose out of carbs - but the main thing in any diet whether you are diabetic or not, is portion control. The protein part of a meal is supposed to be no larger than a pack of playing cards - in your dreams it would be for most people over the age of 7 !

Incidentally you can get strips to test your urine to see if you have ketones over the counter at pharmacies, about Ā£5 a pot, but they do not differentiate between the purely dietary ones and the ones which turn a diabetic person's blood acidic and can (and does!) kill them - so it's not whatsoever recommended to anyone with diabetes. I have a meter, similar to a Glucometer in appearance, which I can use to test my blood for the dangerous little swines, and they are buggers to get rid of I can tell you.

Only available on prescription in the UK, they cannot be purchased direct and the strips are much more expensive and supplied in less quantity than those for Glucometers. For interest due to my own stupidity forgetting to take a supply of extra glucometer strips up to Doncaster the other week, I had to buy some. Ā£28 odd for a tub of 50.

On the trace elements enzymes and stuff, from what I have read meat if you include organs and oily fish contains everything except the higher requirements for Vitamin C.

On the strips, they are not accurate enough from my reading. you need to use the blood tester to get a decently accurate result. But as I am not aiming to get into ketosis it is not necessary. The slightly higher level of protein (as a percentage) would likely knock me out of ketosis anyway on a meat only diet.

On the portion control side, apparently your body manages some of this by the satiety signals which are much stronger on a meat only diet and none existent from a lot of processed foods. Secondly, when you are eating normal food and fancy a snack you have a cornucopia of choices. When on a meat diet you think, I fancy a snack what should I have..... Your choice is to fry another steak..... I think after the first week or two you think, not hungry can't be arsed. I think this might be part of the high level of weight loss that is being seen by people doing this. The hunger levels drop, satiety signals increase and snacking practically stops. Combine this with a lower calorie diet in the first place (look how many calories in a plain steak) and no nutrient free carbs...

As I have said, I am not yet convinced by this diet, but over the next 30 days we will see.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Another option to consider is Intermittent Fasting(IF) based on a 16:8 hrs.
You fast for 16hrs and have a 8 hr window in which can eat normally. I do 11:7, so I break my fast at 11:00 in the morning and finish eating by 19:00. Often I donā€™t eat till 13:00 so in fact am fasting 18:6, the hours can be adjusted, the key is 16 hrs minimum of fasting. In 4.5 weeks I have dropped 12lbs. I do count my Calories as I am trying to be low carb too.
There is lots of research on fasting and the health benefits, not just weight loss, and I really havenā€™t found it difficult.
My oh is Type 2 and he did IF for 4 weeks which lowered his morning BMs.
Good luck

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I've done various different food plans and have come to the conclusion that for me anything which excludes one or more food group sets up a desperate desire to eat them even if I'm not hungry. Any kind of fasting eventually leads to binging... at the moment I'm using Huel to control 2 meals a day and having a decent meat and veg meal in the evening without carbs - I've been doing it now for 2 months and within that 2 months we had 2 individual week holidays - lots of food and drink, indulged myself totally and nothing was off limits (woops!), but I've still lost 2kg in the last 4 weeks and we had one of those weeks 3 weeks ago.

I definitely feel more in control and can honestly say that I'm never hungry!

I don't have diabetes although my doctor thinks that perhaps I should be pre-diabetic at the very least, I'm tested regularly and can feel his disappointment! I'm 57 and had my cataracts done 2 years ago, I have other medical issues which go hand in hand with diabetes but still don't have it, and nor do I want it!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Did the 5:2 5 years ago ........... lost 20kg ............ now do the odd diet day for maintenance (y)

I had an irregular heart beat before .......... that cured itself after the weight loss too :)

It's a great diet (y)

Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
11 years ago I was diagnosed on the day I left the Army. I was running 3-4 miles a day and eating well. My GP said I must do more exercise! I attended the courses and read the books and decided to follow my own destiny. I still eat well but with very few carbs, I still exercise daily but I try to keep my overall consumption of sugar down to a maximum of 40 to 45 grams a day which is about half the adult recommended intake. My blood sugar is stable and well within the limits. Porridge for breakfast and just keep the portions down for the rest of the day. It sometimes drives my wife mad when I don't eat puddings but I've never had a sweet tooth. It works for me but the one thing I have learnt from this disease is that everyone is different and we all must do what suits our own bodies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back