Anyone using Front and rear view cameras? (1 Viewer)

Hamishrocks

Free Member
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Since 2013
hi
We often take a bike trailer on the back of the MH and are interested in setting up a rear view camera which would allow us to check behind us at any given time.
Has anyone got one of these in use and if so can you advise me as to the best model etc and ease of fitting. Cheers

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
lots of vans come with rearview cameras as standard now. avoid the wireless kits and go with hard wired

OP
OP
Hamishrocks

Hamishrocks

Free Member
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Since 2013
Ok will do. I think I’ve heard that’s a better thing to do so thanks for reminding me. Have you any recommendations for type and make?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome.

I’d also avoid wireless, in spite of the ease of installation. Chep cameras appear to work but may not perform so well in adverse conditions (dark or direct sunlight). A dual rear-facing camera has the advantage that you can use it as a ‘proper’ rear view mirror better whilst travelling. A single camera will show what’s immediately behind if it’s wide angle (most are) but I think you’ll be watching your trailer waggling around, more than the size of queue building up behind, with just one.

You ask about forward-facing: This is something I have planned to do (even got a camera for) but not got around to doing yet. My idea was to put it on the roof to check bridge clearances (I used to be 3.4m high) and on the LHS to provide a better view before overtaking on the continent (I was RHD). A third was to go over the waste outlet so that I could improve my ‘aim’ when dumping. Cameras to go to a switch-box (which I have not yet got) to select which view to display.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hamishrocks

Hamishrocks

Free Member
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Since 2013
Hello treetops1. Thanks for your welcome

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i would recommend the waeco kits, bit more expensive but worth it. the generic kits on ebay work well but the cameras dont last long

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
As a bit of an experiment I installed a rear view wireless camera, which feeds into a two camera input DVR. I used the second input to give me a view to the left, mainly on the continent, at junctions angled so as driver you have no view. Both cameras on temporary brackets mounted internally. The DVR feeds to a screen right on the left of the dash, velcro’d temporarily and angled so I have to really look to get the view, and so it doesn’t obstruct the windscreen or impact in the event of airbag operation. You still need a cable for power.

You will see reviews elsewhere about interference using wireless systems. Yes, I do get some, but of very short duration, perhaps a second or two, and very infrequently.

This was very much a trial to see if it was of any benefit over the mirrors, and if wireless was up to the job.

I am well used to hard wired systems in security based cctv applications.

My personal views are it has been a worthwhile experiment, great in daylight, and the way some approach you from the rear at a great rate of knots well worth having it recording not just giving the view. It certainly gives me a much better view of things in the blind spots just out of range of number one eyeball using the mirrors and the reversing camera angle view.

As a temporary install I have too many loose cables, and though the temporary rear internal install is ok, it’s a bit of a nuisance using blinds and fly screens on the rear window, so I would look to having it fitted externally higher up so the winter road grime did not degrade the view too much.

I am not too good at removing panels to find or lay cables neatly, and I think for me an installer who has experience of doing this is my way forward.

My cheap cameras give good images, are time and date stamped and get GPS off the dvr.

All in all I personally like the added feeling of safety I have in the extra eye, but I will when upgrading look for:
1 a hard wired system with a switch so I could leave it on if parked for a few minutes with the ignition off and vehicle locked, e.g. when paying for petrol.
2. The better the camera the better the image.
3. It would need to record (DVR) and write over the first image as it became full.
4. For me it would need Time/date stamps and GPS
5. I would seriously think about 360 degree systems, if they are pulling panels off for one feed, they may as well do the rest.
6. I would get professionals to do it.

You may not need 3 onwards, every stage from 2 onwards increases the price.

Good luck.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Recently fitted a two camera system from Reversing Cameras UK . Everything worked first time and so far am delighted to get a full rear view at last and by picking up a reversing light feed it turns into a reversing camera automatically. Only had 1 question to ask and that was answered straight away by a chap who knew what he was talking about. Cost a bit more but I hope that its "fitted and forget" and much cheaper than having it installed. They had also taken the trouble to write a tutorial which I found on Ebay. Worth also buying the plastic tubing/ conduit to run the cable underneath the van. all very tidy. Take your time don't rush and its quite straightforward to install.

Mike
PS Annie has a dislike of unnecessary holes so I had to be careful!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There are some very small and very good quality CCTV cameras around that make excellent rear view cameras. They're designed for reliability under all weather conditions. They require 12v power and have the same video output as a rear view camera so match the various monitors used in motorhomes. I had one on my last van. They're well worth a look.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Look for CCD cameras rather than CMOS
Look for large size CCD (1/3)
Look for a high "TVL" (700)
Look for ones with integrated IR LED's to enable it to be useful in the dark.. (0 LUX)
Nothing worse than meeting someone head on down some narrow devon lane and not being able to see behind you properly.

Personally I'd go with the sony one(s) like this
BROKEN LINK

Edit...
If you are looking for the "whole kit and caboodle" I'd probably get this one.
BROKEN LINK

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Parkingcameras.com are good they also have the screw up waterproof connectors.(y)(y)(y)

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
We followed a car with obvious front and rear cameras in our car yesterday, the rear camera was right in the middle of the rear window with an accompanying sign which read “ smile your on camera”
I don’t know why but this in your face camera got me a little agitated and I started thinking about plotting a messy end to this turnips miserable life. In the end I let someone out of a side turning so I wasn’t directly behind him, am I one step away from becoming a serial killer or would this irritate anyone else?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Look for CCD cameras rather than CMOS
That has changed dramatically in the last few years. CMOS is now the preferred technology for imaging devices mainly due to development driven by phone cameras.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
For a rear view camera I prefer these - but take great care choosing a monitor. Most on the market won't do a decent camera justice.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
That has changed dramatically in the last few years. CMOS is now the preferred technology for imaging devices mainly due to development driven by phone cameras.
Preffered technology because its cheap and fast but still suffers some drawbacks.
CCD cameras seem to be still out in front in terms of image quality though, which is what we look for in this application I think.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yea that link is mostly to do with process line imaging not video cameras for Motorhomes.
Fast moving video capture and inherent road vibration like that captured from vehicle type "dashcams" are still the stomping ground of CCD imaging tech as you don't get the "jello" effect with a CCD like you do with CMOS.
I'm still not convinced it matters for 'our' intended use. From the article linked above:

"With the promise of lower power consumption and higher integration for smaller components, CMOS designers focused efforts on imagers for mobile phones, the highest volume image sensor application in the world. An enormous amount of investment was made to develop and fine tune CMOS imagers and the fabrication processes that manufacture them. As a result of this investment, we witnessed great improvements in image quality, even as pixel sizes shrank. Therefore, in the case of high volume consumer area and line scan imagers, based on almost every performance parameter imaginable, CMOS imagers outperform CCDs."

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Just ask yourself what do you want and expect from a Joe Bloggs in-motorhome camera?

Are you looking at absolutely irrefutable images that would prove person x has murdered person z, or similar?
Or are you looking at proving that the mass of vehicle A crossed a red traffic light and broadsides vehicle B? Perhaps just providing the definition to read a number plate is sufficient, or is it?
Dusk/twilight and night time, especially with no good ambient street or other lighting may provide other challenges for identification, but if it is for your motorhome how many are actually being driven at night?
You can spend thousands on the ‘best’ camera, that will actually give terrific results even in darkness, much better images than many would even dream of ( you would be surprised even in total darkness how much coverage is made possible by headlights).

But, if for 99% of the time a motorhome is used a £25 camera will give sufficient to prove to an insurance company you are not the cause of the accident, then does it really matter.

Well, yes it does, it’s down to the personal choice of the individual.

If you personally want the best, and are willing to pay a bit extra for it, then good on you.

Alternatively, if your happy with the basics, and can save a few bob in the process,then that is your choice and good on you.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Whilst I don’t disagree that the more expensive cameras and monitors do give a better image, some even HD, and I have a good reversing camera built into the Motorhome, I would challenge the need for high quality images, when all you really want to know is “what is behind me, and how close is it?”
I tow a small car, so to supplement my rear view, have fitted a small cheap wireless camera looking behind the Toad. This allows me to see the part of the road hidden from me by my Toad. It is sufficiently clear that I can read the number plate, but I could not tell if the driver needed a shave.
I also have a front facing camera ( it is part of my SatNav) that onecontinuously records on a loop so if I ever need evidence of an accident or similar, then that would be useful, but I hope I never need it.
If the OP just wants to supplement his rear view behind the bike trailer, or to check his bike is still there :)D), then one or even two cheap wireless cameras might do the job. You can also get screens on which you can select which input you view.

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
In 1983 I drove from England to Lomé
We followed a car with obvious front and rear cameras in our car yesterday, the rear camera was right in the middle of the rear window with an accompanying sign which read “ smile your on camera”
I don’t know why but this in your face camera got me a little agitated and I started thinking about plotting a messy end to this turnips miserable life. In the end I let someone out of a side turning so I wasn’t directly behind him, am I one step away from becoming a serial killer or would this irritate anyone else?

Bl**dy hell. Does that mean shaving to look one's best every driving day?

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
They use them in IH Vans, maybe check what type they are

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
If anybody is after a third camera I have for sale a HD one with Waeco connections which I was going to fit under the van by the waste drain to make it easier to drop the grey waste but we have decided to change our van now so this is surplus to requirements the Waeco connectors were £27 on their own .I will take some pics tomorrow any offers ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back