Anyone using a personal hotspot device? (1 Viewer)

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Anyone had any experience with a personal hotspot device ( such as connect+) ? Saw this used by overlanding Sophia , one device , you can connect up to ten devices to it, worldwide, no roaming charges, keep your own sim, who has one, what do you think of it and which one do you recommend?

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Anyone had any experience with a personal hotspot device ( such as connect+) ? Saw this used by overlanding Sophia , one device , you can connect up to ten devices to it, worldwide, no roaming charges, keep your own sim, who has one, what do you think of it and which one do you recommend?
I don't understand the need. My Superdrug mobile SIM in my J6+ phone gave us unlimited Europe roaming and at any one time on it's Hotspot I could be running a PC, two TV's and Jan's phone!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I saw that in their vlog and googled it.
It seemed quite expensive to me but may suit others ?
I think theirs was complimentary as they're 'influencers' :mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I don't understand the need. My Superdrug mobile SIM in my J6+ phone gave us unlimited Europe roaming and at any one time on it's Hotspot I could be running a PC, two TV's and Jan's phone!
The trend is to stop the free unlimited roaming and charge per day, and also to apply a fair usage policy which sees your allowance when abroad decimated, so that’s why I am looking into alternatives, as we are planning to be away for long periods of time, and only hop back to the uk for a few weeks at the time, any suggestions welcome, Superdrug not applying fair usage?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I called EE and they said as an old customer they were happy to add free roaming for both Woman and myself.. And I use my phone as a hot spot like others...
I do wonder if some of the utubers who push things would ever actually BUY what they recommend

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I guess our Motorhome WiFi router is one of these devices, I use a Mac book in the van and Mrs funflair uses an Ipad without sim plus the TV does catch up so it is just convenient to have a WiFi hotspot always available.

OP
OP
D
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I guess our Motorhome WiFi router is one of these devices, I use a Mac book in the van and Mrs funflair uses an Ipad without sim plus the TV does catch up so it is just convenient to have a WiFi hotspot always available.
What do you run it on? Do you have a SIM card with a plan that still doesn’t charge for roaming and doesn’t apply fair usage restriction ?

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Run a Netgear Air card 810S Unlocked one with 3 UK Data Only sim, also as unlocked will take sim from any EU country, and others ? up 10 Devices, No Issues Dec - March in Spain this Year, using the same again when I leave Dec 2nd this Year...

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I use my phone as a hotspot in the UK.

If / when circumstances allow I would buy a data card for the country where I was an use the second slot in my phone for that one to use as a "local" hotspot. Assuming that would work of course - must be cheaper than buying yet another device.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
The trend is to stop the free unlimited roaming and charge per day, and also to apply a fair usage policy which sees your allowance when abroad decimated, so that’s why I am looking into alternatives, as we are planning to be away for long periods of time, and only hop back to the uk for a few weeks at the time, any suggestions welcome, Superdrug not applying fair usage?
If you read my post again you might notice that I said 'unlimited'...

OP
OP
D
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Run a Netgear Air card 810S Unlocked one with 3 UK Data Only sim, also as unlocked will take sim from any EU country, and others ? up 10 Devices, No Issues Dec - March in Spain this Year, using the same again when I leave Dec 2nd this Year...
Do you swap sim per country or i your 3 sim free roaming and no fair usage applied?

OP
OP
D
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
If you read my post again you might notice that I said 'unlimited'...
Thanks John, I have heard from others that currently Superdrug is still applying this policy, unfortunately I can see them following the other UK network operators , would be nice if they don’t , because then we will all follow your lead😎

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What do you run it on? Do you have a SIM card with a plan that still doesn’t charge for roaming and doesn’t apply fair usage restriction ?
It's on Vodafone 100gb monthly and no restrictions as far as I know unless they have changed the contract since I took it out.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I enquired about my Vodafone data abroad. 120gb inUK but now down to 25gb in Europe. Classed as fair usage. Maybe fair to them but I’m not too impressed 😡
that depends when the contract was taken out ours is pre July this year and i can use all my ipad 100gb in EU. however, my phone is unlimited and has always been restricted to fair use 25gb in the eU.

OP
OP
D
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I enquired about my Vodafone data abroad. 120gb inUK but now down to 25gb in Europe. Classed as fair usage. Maybe fair to them but I’m not too impressed 😡
Exactly, not what you signed up for , always lovely when they change T&c it’s always only one way, and that’s to their benefit.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Exactly, not what you signed up for , always lovely when they change T&c it’s always only one way, and that’s to their benefit.

Not defending Vodafone but to be accurate and I have checked this as i have contract's with Vodafone, and any vodafone contract taken out prior to announcement of the change to roaming continues with its T&Cs taken out at the time of contract, until it renews or a new contract is started.

so there have not been any T&Cs on my roaming contract changed that were originally signed up to. if you are now restricted to 25gn then either that was in place when the contract was taken out or the contract has been renewed or entered into since the change.

OP
OP
D
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Not defending Vodafone but to be accurate and I have checked this as i have contract's with Vodafone, and any vodafone contract taken out prior to announcement of the change to roaming continues with its T&Cs taken out at the time of contract, until it renews or a new contract is started.

so there have not been any T&Cs on my roaming contract changed that were originally signed up to. if you are now restricted to 25gn then either that was in place when the contract was taken out or the contract has been renewed or entered into since the change.
Hmmm , I have been on sim only with them for a while, never paid for roaming but then I haven’t been out of the country for a while, don’t know if my contract rolls over each year, but I guess I will find out when I start organising properly👍

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
If it any use, I have 100gb a month on Virgin, only £12. Don’t know if they still do the deal but worth looking at 👍

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If it any use, I have 100gb a month on Virgin, only £12. Don’t know if they still do the deal but worth looking at 👍
Yep, 100gb with a 50gb rollover. Will find out this winter but last winter running my iPad and the telly I used 122gb one month.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thanks John, I have heard from others that currently Superdrug is still applying this policy, unfortunately I can see them following the other UK network operators , would be nice if they don’t , because then we will all follow your lead😎
This was posted a couple of days ago regarding the Superdrug sim, Suspect they will soon follow other U.K. providers.
1A84E457-AE3C-4C96-8360-71B9CBB1CAB5.jpeg

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
A personal hotspot has one big advantage over your phone, especially a single-SIM phone like most UK phones seem to be. You can go into any phone shop and buy a PAYG data sim for the country that you are in at the time. It will connect to 4G, and allow local wifi.

Then you can connect several devices to it by wifi. You can use apps like WhatsApp to phone any of your contacts, using the local 4G connection. If you enable wifi calling you can even make and receive ordinary phone calls via the local 4G connection.

The only thing it won't do is fool the BBC IPlayer into thinking you are still in the UK. You'll have to use a VPN for that.

Oh, and the big advantage, you can roam with the local SIM to any EU country without roaming charges. So, buy one in France, and use it in Spain, Portugal, Italy or anywhere else.

A personal hotspot can be carried round with you on your excursions from the MH - it's not fixed in like an installed router + antenna. Powered by its internal battery or a small powerpack.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back