Anyone used DUCT/DUCK tape on an EPDM Roof? (1 Viewer)

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
:thumb:Hi,

I need to find a temporary way of stopping water ingress into the roof while taking the RV to get it assessed in a Repairers. (It is currently under cover)

I was thinking of running DUCK/DUCT Tape along the joins in the roof where the original tape has lifted away due to the water getting under it.

I was wondering whether anyone has used this as a temporary fix. There is some oxidisation of the original rubber roof coating which will have to be brushed off.

Thanks to JSW and his links to EPDM roof repairs, this is looking more straightforward now.:thumb:

All I have to do is look at the reality of obtaining the necessary materials, although the insurance company say they will cover it if I can get it to a local, reputable repairer that is capable of repairs to ARV's.

Is there anyone on this forum who will undertake such a repair or knows of a supplier of roof materials.?

Steve.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Has the roof been physically damaged or is it just generally failing with age? Was Newark the first proper water test it has had since you bought it?:Smile:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi steve how about these there is a DIY option!!!:thumb:

EPDM rubber flat roofing, roof material for DIY and trade

Or these

Link Removed

However duck/duct tape would be a temporary effective solution at least to get the RV to the repairers, but it is sometimes very very hard to see where the water is getting in! It is some times way away from where it shows itself inside!

Regards Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Has the roof been physically damaged or is it just generally failing with age? Was Newark the first proper water test it has had since you bought it?:Smile:

Judging by the marks on the roof, it looks like something has brushed/scraped along it and torn the Sealing tape between the rubber in the middle of the roof.

It has never leaked before and looked ok when I did a visual check the other day.

It withstood the torrential storms of last year and at the beginning of last month.

Crazy.I was thinking of coating it again soon as a matter of routine maintenance.

Beginning to wonder whether a low branch has caught it.There are a few twigs stuck under the roof box.:Sad:

Last edited:
OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi steve how about these there is a DIY option!!!:thumb:

EPDM rubber flat roofing, roof material for DIY and trade

Or these

Link Removed

However duck/duct tape would be a temporary effective solution at least to get the RV to the repairers, but it is sometimes very very hard to see where the water is getting in! It is some times way away from where it shows itself inside!

Regards Pat

That's brilliant Pat.

I didn't realise you can get it in one piece to fit.That will mean there will be no joins at all to fail in the future.

Many thanks for the post.I am looking for someone to undertake the work for me.

Now I need a supplier of the Ply/foam/Ply laminate "sandwich" material and the aluminium extrusion that runs around the roof.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I was thinking of running DUCK/DUCT Tape along the joins in the roof where the original tape has lifted away due to the water getting under it.

I was wondering whether anyone has used this as a temporary fix. There is some oxidisation of the original rubber roof coating which will have to be brushed off.

Thanks to JSW and his links to EPDM roof repairs, this is looking more straightforward now.:thumb:

:Cool: I have used Duct/Gaffa tape as a temporary repair. The thing I have used for a more permanent repair is this:-

Link Removed

EternaBond RoofSeal White

I believe Linda sells something along the same lines.

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
not trying to be funny steve, but why not take it on a dry day and due to the problem ask for it to be stored under cover.

john

Will try to John,

The problem is, I am having to book it in to get it assessed for the insurance, (At Brownhills) so I am tied to a day and time.The weather has been so unpredictable at the moment.:Doh:

She's drying out under cover at the moment.I have a supplier that will supply one piece of EPDM Rubber for around £140 + vat, thanks to another link from another forum member, which sounds very good.

My aim is to rebuild the roof , minus and joins.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back