Anyone use freestanding sat dish? (1 Viewer)

kitetraveller

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay 2 bed
Exp
Getting there!
No room on the roof, so wondering about freestanding sat dish.
Anyone use one, any recommendations on size/brand etc?

We have a spare Humax box to put on a dish.

TIA
Andy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i used a domestic SKY mini dish with a quad LNB on an old camera tripod.....£30 plus a few quid for twin core cable (running two receivers) and 4 x plugs.
a couple of tent pegs and a small ratchet strap kept it secure even in gusty winds.

only problem is its open to abuse....isnt it Brian (hilldweller).....too easy to cover the LNB in tinfoil blocking the signal.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
i used a domestic SKY mini dish with a quad LNB on an old camera tripod.....£30 plus a few quid for twin core cable (running two receivers) and 4 x plugs.
a couple of tent pegs and a small ratchet strap kept it secure even in gusty winds.

only problem is its open to abuse....isnt it Brian (hilldweller).....too easy to cover the LNB in tinfoil blocking the signal.
I find a wet flannel can be equally annoying.:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I bought a G Camping Flat Kit with EasyFind and have been very pleased with it. The EasyFind works really well with my Avtex TV, which has a built in sat receiver. I didn't need the receiver it came with but I bought the kit to get the suction mount and travel case. I have found the suction mount effective on all but one occasion when I was under a tree and that time I strapped it to an outside table that I could better position.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Started out with basically the same setup, what a pain in the arse it was, then bought a Maxview Precision, nice and easy to use and packs away well.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

Brian's innocent "hurt" look when rumbled was worth an Oscar!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
...too easy to cover the LNB in tinfoil blocking the signal.

:mad: You dont mean someone did that !!!!!!!

It's as bad as the old CB radio days and a drawing pin in the coax.. :whistle:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
and much easier to spot when the signal suddenly drops.
took me quite a few minutes to spot the tinfoil.

Have to say.. Part of my retirement is owed to Spiders and their love of open feedhorns on Satellite dishes.. (y)

OP
OP
kitetraveller

kitetraveller

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay 2 bed
Exp
Getting there!
Thanks for the replies!
I bought a dish with tripod of ebay, and have it set up in the gardem at the moment. I used the 'Satfinder' iPhone app and didn't even have to move the dish at all after first setup; great app.

Mrs Kitetraveller busy recording onto the Humax box, and we probably won't bother taking the dish for our short trips into France.

Just need to figure a 12 volt supply for the Humax and we are totally off grid.

Cheers
Andy

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for the replies!
I bought a dish with tripod of ebay, and have it set up in the gardem at the moment. I used the 'Satfinder' iPhone app and didn't even have to move the dish at all after first setup; great app.

Mrs Kitetraveller busy recording onto the Humax box, and we probably won't bother taking the dish for our short trips into France.

Just need to figure a 12 volt supply for the Humax and we are totally off grid.

Cheers
Andy
I'd be interested in that too. Haven't found one yet. We have the tripod set up as well.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Must try mine I bought one of the sat in a plastic box kits at aldi on special but have never got around to trying it. Does anyone use one regularly any tips?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back