Anyone use a drone to check out the area before wild camping? (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We're thinking of getting a small drone so that when we visit unknown areas we can send it up to check where best to stop. We're thinking of its uses mainly in terms of wild camping in Norway. We've sometimes found that we've parked up not realising there is a lovely river/lake/view just out of view.

Does anyone use a drone for this purpose?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use these.

two-eyeballs-white-d-render-48589443.jpg

But on a serious note, I doubt the range of a typical drone would gain you much advantage over just looking out of the window. Less chance of getting into trouble flying your drone somewhere you shouldn't too. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
No but the biggest problem doing that you will face is the weather as you usually arrive on "site" late afternoon when you may NOTE may encounter stronger winds and some of the smaller cheaper drones are very unstable in gusty winds

That said if you have a decent mobile phone and data stream Google Earth have already got it covered

And yes I have a DJI Phantom 3

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
But on a serious note, I doubt the range of a typical drone would gain you much advantage over just looking out of the window. Less chance of getting into trouble flying your drone somewhere you shouldn't too. :)

Range of mine 30 minutes and 2km

Don't fly without consulting the Drone Assist APP to ensure safe to fly (unfortunately only in the UK)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My Son-in-law took me and his daughters onto the green by his home to show me his brand new £200 + super duper drone with full remote TV camera and remote control that would put an X-box to shame. He started off by putting it in hover mode about 15 feet above our heads and then he said look how high it can go and up it went and last we saw of it, was it heading towards Iraq at about 50 MPH. I started to wave bye, bye to it and my granddaughters just cracked up with my son-in-law effing and blinding at the remote control. It was never seen again. PMSL

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Be careful. Use of drones is VERY VERY tightly legally controlled here in Spain (I assume many other countries now have regulatory control).
Invasion-of-privacy protection laws are strong here. The fines if caught overflying private houses for example can be tens of thousands of euros.

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
My Son-in-law took me and his daughters onto the green by his home to show me his brand new £200 + super duper drone with full remote TV camera and remote control that would put an X-box to shame. He started off by putting it in hover mode about 15 feet above our heads and then he said look how high it can go and up it went and last we saw of it, was it heading towards Iraq at about 50 MPH. I started to wave bye, bye to it and my granddaughters just cracked up with my son-in-law effing and blinding at the remote control. It was never seen again. PMSL

LOL
There are lots of regulations and although my drone can fly over 400m high the law says I can't

If your drone is under 20kg and you're not using it for commercial reasons, then you still have some rules to follow. Anyone filming with a drone for their own purposes must avoid flying it within 150 metres of a congested area and 50 metres of a person, vessel, vehicle or structure not under the control of the pilot.You will also need to fly the aircraft within sight. This means you can’t go above 400ft in altitude or further than 500 metres horizontally.

And they are looking to tighten rules even tighter by looking at ALL drones needing a registration and the pilot a licence

but

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Camper Culture
The guy who did a few video's of his Artic trip use a drone I am led to believe ,with good effect .But would it work elsewhere ? I don't know.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for replies :)

The areas we hope to visit are very remote so I doubt we'll fall foul of any legalities but will look into it just in case.

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
Have a look on u tube & see how drones are used inappropriately ... Sadly genuine use will soon be compromised by legal usage / licence to use ....
Stratford show this year .... Drones about ... I would have thrown something at it as at it hoovering over our vans ...
Now ... Warners ....No drones allowed ...
I've seen amazing drone videos & they are great ... Time & place for usage ..... BUT, I reckon soon users will all have to be licensed. .. at a cost no doubt ..... ..

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Have a look on u tube & see how drones are used inappropriately ... Sadly genuine use will soon be compromised by legal usage / licence to use ....
Stratford show this year .... Drones about ... I would have thrown something at it as at it hoovering over our vans ...
Now ... Warners ....No drones allowed ...
I've seen amazing drone videos & they are great ... Time & place for usage ..... BUT, I reckon soon users will all have to be licensed. .. at a cost no doubt ..... ..

The cost of the CAA licence to use one to get paid is RATHER high the approved course being in the thousand, and then you have to renew it every year at I think £165 per year. Not bad income for an organisation that ASSUMED the right to charge and govern the use of these cameras. The CAA is a quango and not a government department, they have a big wage bill to pay and look for the public to supply it.
Stratford was for the organisers benefit.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
No,we don’t use a drone. Usually rely on map,eyes, ears. You can always move on if you find summink better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back