Anyone use a chrome book?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by chaser, Apr 3, 2018.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

Ratings:
    +16,154
    i am thinking of swopping my iPad, and as I only use it for internet stuff, and all my other stuff is android , I have been looking at chrome books , but are they any good , can you use them for internet banking and stuff, or are they just one up from a toy?

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Ratings:
    +16,154
    well it seems no one knows, anyway iv been and bought one today, so hopfully ill be able to enlighten you;)if anyone is interested iv bought acer r11, at the moment , well impressed, but early days.

3. monzer

monzer Funster

Ratings:
    +273
    I'm interested :hi:

I was just about to post similar. I haven't got a tablet but my lap top is on it's way out and I was also looking at chromebooks. I realise I won't be able to get a CB with similar screen size to my current laptop (15") but they do look pretty cool.

How you getting on with yours?

I am a big fan of google products but the price difference between their pixel CB and the rest is about 5-600 quid. Any idea what it has that the other haven't?

It's mostly just social stuff I would be using it for. I do like having a lot of films downloaded to watch when away in the van though.

4. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,561
    Both Mrs T and I have Chrome books for use in the MoHo - find them fine for internet stuff, emails, uploading & downloading fotos, Google maps etc.

5. monzer

monzer Funster

Ratings:
    +273
    Can I ask what model you have? I am tempted to splash out on googles pixel model as I have always been fond of their products.

It is a lot of money though.

Also if you have been using a lap top before, what differences have you noticed between the two?

6. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,936
    I got a chromebook with keyboard and touchscreen about 6 months ago. Like it a lot. Mrs mikebeaches also likes it, so she got one too. Seems OK for most things we do. Lightweight, compact and ideal for travelling. Got them both from John Lewis - never knowingly undersold - and they come with a free 2-year warranty.

7. chaser

chaser Funster

Ratings:
    +16,154
    :rolleyes:
    I have the acer r 11 , must say at the moment found it brilliant, my old ipad , that i have had for eight years cant hold a candle to it but i suppose time moves on.
    havnt had a laptop since having the ipad so cant realy help on that but you will notice i am missing predictive text by useing the keyboard:rolleyes: probably move back to the tablet mode.
    one definite thing i have come across is the wifi works for a far greater distance than the ipad.
    anything else you would like to know just ask, at the moment cant fault it apart from the keyboard thing, which is down to me being thick rather than the machine, if you are coming from a laptop you wont notice the difference.
    one thing to make sure of is if the model you are looking at has touchscreen or not , most havnt.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,561
    I still have a laptop & desktop at home - the only real difference I have found is that you cannot download "third party" programs - such as microsoft word etc. - however Google seems to have acceptable alternatives for most of them

As to what model - not sure they are in the van (where they live) however I bought them from Currys/PC World last year for a bit over £100 - no touchscreen (which suits us fine - not a fan of touchscreens!) - keypad only - so they are probably bottom of the range but they do us fine when camping!! :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. airwave

airwave Funster

Ratings:
    +1,015
    I've had an acer chomebook 11 , c83-11 , since my laptop fried a good few year's ago . Does everything i want , emails , ebay , youtube , google search . Excellent battery life , small and compact . Uses an android operating system , with it's own inbuilt security , so actually saves me money , no third party involved . I ent found any bad issues . Only thing i've not tried is downloading music , but i somehow think it would do that too . Well happy .

edit . Quick add on , it play's music

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    • Like it Like it x 1
  10. Paul1958

Paul1958 Funster

Ratings:
    +3
    I have had a Samsung Chromebook (with a sim card in it) for at least 6 years. I also have a chromebox desktop at home and a chromebit upstairs, plus a google chromecast. I find them all great. I don't do any complicated computing but for internet, photos etc they are fine, as they use the Goggle Chrome Operating System which has equivalents to windows programmes
    They are allegedly totally secure and I have never had a problem. I would never go back to windows.

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +30,728
    yes, 'allegedly' isn't that what Mark Zuckerberg claimed ;)

Google Analytics tracks everything you do .. wouldn't trust them or FB.. but it's difficult not to be tracked

• Like it Like it x 1