Anyone tried these (1 Viewer)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Yes, I have them. Not difficult if you are a competent DIYer. You would probably want to take a bit more care than this chap though:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RGCH999
Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
Wow. Looks like hard work to fit them. Not what it says in the description. How on earth do they fit in minutes without taking inner panel off.!!!!
Made from stainless steel and installed in minutes, this product requires no drilling as they are secured to the vehicle by slotting behind/around the existing handle using the silicon sealant supplied. In most instances, there is no need to remove the manufacturer’s internal door card either.

OP
OP
RGCH999
Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
Thanks all. Looks too much like hard work for me to bother with, Has anyone fitted them without removing inner door panel like they say.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Thanks all. Looks too much like hard work for me to bother with, Has anyone fitted them without removing inner door panel like they say.
The "in most instances" statement in the seller's description is generic to fitting their range of pro-plates in general, not specific to Sevel vans. For the Ducato/Boxer/Relay, the handle has to be removed because the handle fixing bolts fit through the pro-plate, and also secure the internal shield plate that reinforces the defence against manipulation of the door lock actuator with a thin blade.

If you modified them to fit without having to remove the handle, and relied solely on sealant to secure them, the same bladed instrument used by thieves to open the lock could also be used to remove the plates, rendering them little more than a cosmetic chocolate fireguard.

I'd also want to know if the ones from the supplier you linked to include the internal shield, as not all do. Trade Vehicle Locks, Garrison Locks and Locks4Vans are suppliers of decent items.

Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013
Got a mechanic mate to fit mine, took him an hour and a half and two mugs of tea plus a couple of beers owed when we can got to a pub!

Reactions: f6c

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Although a thief won't know that until after he's already pushed a blade through your door and possibly moved it around with increased gusto, trying to work out why it's not working. Whereas the additional external plates indicate that it's a waste of time trying, as well as strengthening the door skin around the handle fixings. And as you had to remove the door card and do most of the job of removing the handle anyway...

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
The stickers that are in place under the locks informing him that plates are fitted could be an indication.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back