LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Just got little Maggie who will be pretty big Maggie soon.

16198855688727195174360692992041.jpg

Second time away in the MH and her food smell is not great. She's a bit of a grazer which is unusual for this type of Mut.

Has anyone tried this or something similar?

Amazon product ASIN B01C49GGC0
I like the idea it closes and stops the smell.

Thoughts or experiences welcome.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You really need to set proper meal times rather than leave food out, that way they get used to eating when they should, our Tazzy is a bit like that and sometimes likes to eat a bit of her tea then leave the rest for supper, so we just take it away and bring it back out later.

Alternatively use dried food which won't smell, you could do a mix with a small portion of wet for her to eat immediately then leave some dry out for her to nibble if she feels the need, so long as it is taken from her daily food allowance she shouldn't put on weight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You really need to set proper meal times rather than leave food out, that way they get used to eating when they should, our Tazzy is a bit like that and sometimes likes to eat a bit of her tea then leave the rest for supper, so we just take it away and bring it back out later.

Alternatively use dried food which won't smell, you could do a mix with a small portion of wet for her to eat immediately then leave some dry out for her to nibble if she feels the need, so long as it is taken from her daily food allowance she shouldn't put on weight.
Dried food only and twice a day morning and tea time - wolfs the lot each time and no mess or smell

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
yep, dried food and feed regular times morning and evening, any left overs (fat chance) are picked up.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What you really need to do is get another dog ... most fussy dogs will then suddenly turn into devil dogs if the other tries to finish off his/her food. :giggle:

There are exceptions though, our Tazzy being one who will let other dogs have her stuff when she's in one of her fussy moods ... this is despite being named after the Tazmanian Devil! :LOL:

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years

The food is dry food (Simpsons still stinks).
We do take the food away sometimes but there are times when she's just not bothered at the times we put it down. She'll eat 75% when it's put down but will then pop back a few times to finish it off.

Mar 21, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
You need to decide who is the master or she will lead you a merry dance and be problematic for the rest of your days...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You need to decide who is the master or she will lead you a merry dance and be problematic for the rest of your days...
You've met our Tazzy then! :giggle:

Tazzy body board.JPG

Mar 21, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
You've met our Tazzy then! :giggle:

View attachment 492403
No I’ve not yet but I look forward to looking anywhere near that cool on a paddle-board !
Many years ago I did puppy walking for RNIB which involved having a puppy at home for months in it’s early life and being strict with things like feeding and toileting was crucial to it having a serviceable future

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No I’ve not yet but I look forward to looking anywhere near that cool on a paddle-board !
Many years ago I did puppy walking for RNIB which involved having a puppy at home for months in it’s early life and being strict with things like feeding and toileting was crucial to it having a serviceable future
Unfortunately we weren't Tazzy's first family, she was a few months old when we bought her from a chap who had changed jobs and had to work shifts so it wasn't fair to keep her especially since his Mum didn't want to have to look after his dog, although she didn't object to her generally. They were an Indian family so she'd been fed various types of food including curries and the vet though her digestive system was to some extent 'shot' by having spicy etc food thus we've had ups and downs with her ever since. We always make sure we have some doggy tummy medicine (comes in a really like a big syringe which we squirt into her mouth) which works a treat but we've never been able to fully get shot of the issue, however she's happy even with a funny tummy .. she's currently sat on the back of the couch behind me with her paws on my shoulder 'reading' what I'm typing to make sure it's correct!

Tazzy - back of sofa 1.jpg

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Agreed.
I do like a gadget and saw this as a "gadget solution" but on reflection you're correct. Bowl down for 10-15 mins (a bit longer in the morning maybe?) and then it's up until the next feed.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Food twice a day, weighed portions, set times, no begging at the table

Fresh food only ( frozen)