Anyone tried one of these GPS speed displays? (1 Viewer)

Quantox

Free Member
Dec 20, 2020
The Lakes
Funster No
MH
V-Line 610 SE 2021
From memory, so may be wrong, but I thought that the UK "Construction & Use Regulations" require a speedo to over read by 10% at 30mph. Unsure if there is/was a % for 60/70mph.

Colin

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
From memory, so may be wrong, but I thought that the UK "Construction & Use Regulations" require a speedo to over read by 10% at 30mph. Unsure if there is/was a % for 60/70mph.

Colin
The percentage will remain the same if its 8% out at 30 mph it will be roughly 8% out at 70 mph there will be a very slight diffirence for the tyre circumference minutly changing due to centrifugal force, what at the time was a SVA test the vehicle was checked at 30, 50 and 70 mph.

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I find that the GPS reading on the sat nav reads about 3mph less than the actual speed that the speedometer reads so it's not accurate but I still use it out of habit :doh:
It will be the speedo which isn't accurate. They always display a higher speed than the actual speed.
My Speedo is 6mph high šŸ˜³ so I use my sat nag šŸ‘

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
How do you know that?:confused: It should be assumed that it's correct as that is what we're all judged by.
because next time you pass one of the road side speed checkers it will show you your accurate speed and I always note that my speed to be high by as much as 10% and my sat nav is almost always accurate.
look out for them and check against your speedo.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
because next time you pass one of the road side speed checkers it will show you your accurate speed and I always note that my speed to be high by as much as 10% and my sat nav is almost always accurate.
Thanks for that, not many around here but will give it a try (y)

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
How do you know that?:confused: It should be assumed that it's correct as that is what we're all judged by.

We are not judged by our speedo - which as has been noted are deliberatey set to over report speed by upto 10% and are not allowed by law to under report at all.

We are judged, if it comes to it, by very accruate and regularly calibrated speed cameras/hand-held police devices. Therefore, your satnav is a much more accurate proxy for the equipment you're judged by. I ignore the moho speedo entirely now and rely upon the satnav. The plus side of that is I move thruogh road works and average speed zones about 10% faster than before. :)

OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Just ordered one of the HUDs shown on original post. Will report back on accuracy and will cross check it with both the speedo and my satnav.

Thanks for all the responses.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I ignore the moho speedo entirely now and rely upon the satnav. The plus side of that is I move thruogh road works and average speed zones about 10% faster than before.
While driving the Mh I generally use the sat nav to check my speed (because I find it easier to see and read) but have always assumed that it was reading 10% out, so I adjusted my speed to allowed for that :doh:

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Just ordered one of the HUDs shown on original post. Will report back on accuracy and will cross check it with both the speedo and my satnav.

Thanks for all the responses.
As it looks the same as mine, the offset can be adjusted in the settings to make it 100% at least until the tyres wear šŸ˜‰

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My observations during a brief test this afternoon, car in cruise control set at 70mph on speedo. Car digital 113kph steady reading, Garmin sat nav 107kph +/- 1kph, app on iPhone Speedomter r55. Constant variation from 101 - 111 kph. I expect a HUD taking its signal from the obd would read the same as the cars digital speedo.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Where are you on the board
Screenshot_20211026-202631_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Just to round off my original post - plugged the HUD into the 12v and it picked up multiple sats quickly and has displayed the MPH the same as the MH speedo - just so much easier to read. A couple of mph faster than the sat nav reading but it can be adjusted easily. Really happy with it for the money and will be so useful on the continent showing KPH - the main reason for buying it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back