Anyone still hoping to still go to France this year? (2 Viewers)

Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
Caravanned for 30 years, nearly two years in with the motorhome.
As above, tunnel booked for early September, no campsites current booked after cancelling a caravan and motorhome site earlier this week (balance became due). However, we are still hoping to go if the quareteening is relaxed both ways. Does anyone else share our optimismn?

Oct 1, 2019
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680 A Cl
Exp
Since June 20
Tunnel booked for 27th August. If we are permitted to travel we will be going. Will deal with any quarantining when we are on the way back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
France....or Scotland for us late September.

I think if Boris does what seems to being suggested and removes ALL restrictions (including mask wearing) when there will be little point in continuing any travel restrictions. (If anyone will have us of course!)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We’re looking to go in 2-3 weeks time. 🤞

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We are still hoping, but as long as there is still testing and stuff, no.
No worries about covid, would go now but can't do with the hassle.
Bloody masks are bad enough here.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
As above, tunnel booked for early September, no campsites current booked after cancelling a caravan and motorhome site earlier this week (balance became due). However, we are still hoping to go if the quareteening is relaxed both ways. Does anyone else share our optimismn?
We are booked on the tunnel on the 8th sept ,hopefully traveling through France spain and into Portugal.we are going with the mind set if we get to France and no further then that’s where we holiday if we only get to the tunnel then the south coast is where we will holiday. Our friends who have a more Cavalier attitude than us went on Monday with the same attitude and are now sunning them selfs in Portugal,the only checks being at folkestone (proof of vaccination and pcr test)then not one check all the way down.

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Have Hull to Rotterdam booked for the 3rd of September, although we don’t plan on spending much time in the Netherlands we still need it to be on green list for way home. As it’s an overnight ferry they class that as being in the Netherlands and we’d have to follow the rules regarding travel from there, as we both work full time we can’t quarantine for 10days.
if it’s cancelled like last year we’ll do the U.K. again.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
🤞Yes🤞 probably September, nothing booked but I still have 6 frequent travel singles to use before the end of the year 🥺

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We were caught in the first lockdown arriving in France from Spain in March 2020. Got back to UK in October. Found being “trapped” in rural France a lot less stressful than it appeared in UK. No crowds and one friendly knock on door from gendarmes asking whether we were ok and if we needed anything.
So are prepared to put up with the small annoyance and expense of pre-travel tests and uploading all docs for Eurotunnel.
There were other stressful events on that trip but that’s another story.😱

OP
OP
PaulandAngie
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
Caravanned for 30 years, nearly two years in with the motorhome.
We also have Scotland as the back up plan. I converse weekly with a colleague who lives in the Cairngorm mountains, and he's not selling it with the midges and the changeable weather. At least it's predically cloudy and damp down South!.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We've just booked the tunnel for the 25th August. If the rules stay as they are currently then we'll cope with it: testing is a bit of a hassle (and expense) but quarantining on our return doesn't bother us (we both work from home anyway). I'm really hoping that things are a little easier by then though.

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
On a slightly different note. We have a one way ticket to Bilboa sailing August 9th , our idea is to then slowly drive up through France for approx 6 weeks , we have pre booked a couple of campsites, we are then aiming to cross the channel , not yet booked.

I was speaking to friend over the weekend and he has said that I need to prove I have a pre booked return ferry/train to prove I'm not staying >90days. To be fair he was talking about flights not ferrys/trains but it,s the same , he has said that Spain/France are checking your return details.

I'm not to sure about this, could anyone please shed some light on this

Cheers

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Spain for us at the end of August to watch a few stages of the Tour of Spain (La Vuelta) but if that’s not possible we will go to Cornwall

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
No!! , not worth the hassle or the expense, next year hopefully for me. Tunnel was booked for 6th August (3 changes last year and couldn't move it again ) phone call to Eurotunnel got me a voucher for use up to next July.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Tunnel booked for 1st September.
Will pootle through France for 5-6 weeks if all goes to plan. :france:
We are hoping to get over in September but will keep options open until last minute in case there are any setbacks. Itching to get away over (under) the water.
See you as usual at 'you know where'. (y)
Just bought another bike for rides around the marina and along by the Med. :cycle:

Richard.

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I'm here at the moment - albeit with the car rather than the MoHo, retuning to the UK tomorrow. I'm coming back to France mid August for a few weeks with the Hymer.

It's really not a problem getting out here, apart from the cost of testing both ways and the 10 day Q on return.

It's worked out at £200 per person for all the testing. - £60 to leave UK, though I reckon you can get that for about £30 now, free test in France to leave, though due to be charged for from next week at about €25 euro, and then £130 for the day 2 & 8 tests on return to the UK, though that may change soon if double vacc'd.

Worth every penny to get some time off the island!!

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
I share your optimism, though for the first time in 20 years of travelling, first to our boat, then in the TinTent, I have paid for the more expensive flexible option tickets, going outbound on the 6th September. . Shan't book the return, as normal, unless I hear somewhere that this is a bad idea.

Fingers crossed.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
John is optimistic, I am wavering, but need to use our tunnell before April next year, that is too early for our plans (if they can go ahead) don't want to lose it. I am favouring x3 60 day trips John not keen but I could go on my own and change the vehicle and go in Dobbie.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I must say that, since almost deciding to be off in the next few weeks, we’re meeting obstacle, over obstacle such that we are likey to abandon the trip. There is so much confusion over which tests are acceptable, when they are required, where to get them, who’ll accept them, how long they’re valid for etc etc. Living in York, it seems the nearest centre that we can order pre-booked, acceptable to Eurotunnel and France, lateral flow tests is Manchester. Then when you go to the booking site, there are no appointments available.

Yet we sat outside a centre for free NHS testing in York last Thursday seeing no one going in for the 2 hours we were watching. It was staffed but the tests are not suitable for travel. So what a pointless, futile system. The staff and overhead costs remain but no one being tested. The tests are either good or they’re not. Why, one asks rhetorically, have testes that aren’t suitable for travel purposes? It’s not like we were taking up any spaces for people desperate for asymptomatic testing. And then to be lectured about how well the Govt has managed the COVID crisis. Not.

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I must say that, since almost deciding to be off in the next few weeks, we’re meeting obstacle, over obstacle such that we are likey to abandon the trip. There is so much confusion over which tests are acceptable, when they are required, where to get them, who’ll accept them, how long they’re valid for etc etc. Living in York, it seems the nearest centre that we can order pre-booked, acceptable to Eurotunnel and France, lateral flow tests is Manchester. Then when you go to the booking site, there are no appointments available.
Try the drive in centre at East Midlands Airport - that's on the way down to the tunnel from York: -

£30 for Antigen which gets you into France if you are double jabbed. Needs to be within 48 hours of travel.

Leaving France - our local chemist in the Dept 17 is doing our tests free of charge!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

Yet we sat outside a centre for free NHS testing in York last Thursday seeing no one going in for the 2 hours we were watching. It was staffed but the tests are not suitable for travel. So what a pointless, futile system. The staff and overhead costs remain but no one being tested. The tests are either good or they’re not. Why, one asks rhetorically, have testes that aren’t suitable for travel purposes? It’s not like we were taking up any spaces for people desperate for asymptomatic testing. And then to be lectured about how well the Govt has managed the COVID crisis. Not.
Not sure if this is any good to you.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Not sure if this is any good to you.
Don’t know whether this will have the same problem as NHS self tests in the sense that there is no independent verification, not of the result of the test, but how the test was conducted.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We are booked to go out on the 14th July ..... But I am not confident at all (which is 100% reversal from where I was a month ago.) The cost and uncertainty of jabs, quarantine, returning home etc all add to the picture - plus we would prob have three caravans to open (been left since october last year) and they might only be used for four weeks, as the kids are all teachers and need to be back and out of any potential quarantine before term starts ..... decisions, decisions - i think i will ring the tunnel tomorrow and see if there are any FT places after the 19th - which appears to be the date from which things MAY change in our favour ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back