PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We're trying to identify what's happening to my friends caravan floor.

He's a dragger and brought a 7 year old Bailey Pageant Series 6 Burgundy and only had it one season. It's like new.

Looking at the pictures, the floor looks like it's showing signs of corrosion, but that's not possible. The black spots look like someone has laid the flooring over grit or tiny stones. I've looked and can't explain it. There's been no caustic cleaner dropped or anything that cause this to happen. The dimensions are approx 8 x 6 inches.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Has anyone seen anything like it before.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Looks like a fault in the laminate floor..
Sort of grit under the final skin of gloss/varnish or what ever they use and the constant walking over has worn through the coating..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If that's simply the floor covering (patterned vinyl) as I believe it is then he's had grit trapped under the carpet that normally covers it. Whatever it is it's only in the surface of the vinyl and can't be anything to do with the floor below. Cosmetic and unimportant.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
No idea if it's even relevant but the last time we stayed on the c&cc Conkers site (Jan '12) we got talking to the very nice wardens who told us that their Bailey caravan was due to go back to have a whole new floor as they had major damp problems:(

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Knock on the floor all over if that bit sounds different then it may be a problem otherwise fine, if it's damp it will sound dull. I agree with those who say it is nothing but surface contamination.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
If it's the floor structure, below the vinyl, then there are serious damp problems. Not sure grit under the carpet would cause the same damage. Look at the last image. There is an area bottom right, erupting but not yet showing black staining.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The only way to check for sure would be to lift the vinyl, to me it looks like damp underneath as there is a 'spreading' area on the bottom right of the last photo which to me looks like the floor surface underneath the vinyl is 'expanding' hence the expanding bump. It is similar to what you can get on contiboard cabinets etc, such as a bedsite chest of drawers coverd with a vinyl 'mock wood' film where damp gets underneath and swells the contiboard and 'distorts' the vinyl covering.

Without lifting the vinyl the problem won't be able to be sorted I'm afraid and will only get worse IMV.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Without actually touching it, is difficult to say but my first thought also was that it was surface and probably caused by a rubber backed carpet that had previously been left down whilst damp or with stones underneath it ... which had been scrunched in... It certainly doesn't look serious ... Is the wood around the black blobs raised? If not then I doubt it coming from underneath. :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I agree with old-mo. If you look at the bumps around the reflection of the flash in photos 1 & 2, you can see light reflected in the clear final surface on top of the wood-effect vinyl as it rises up, which seems to show something gritty is trapped between the two. It's difficult to see how mould could produce bumps like that, and surely there'd be much more of it along the seams than in the middle of each strip.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Thanks fellow Funsters. It's always so refreshing and reassuring to have the access to such a huge wealth of knowledge :)

I don't think it's damp. It's very gritty so I think it's possible that either something has been trapped beneath and finally worn through, or simple grit, however the next step is for him to have cheeked for dampness :)

Much appreciated for your guidance too :)

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Thanks fellow Funsters. It's always so refreshing and reassuring to have the access to such a huge wealth of knowledge :)

I don't think it's damp. It's very gritty so I think it's possible that either something has been trapped beneath and finally worn through, or simple grit, however the next step is for him to have cheeked for dampness :)

Much appreciated for your guidance too :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back