Anyone runs hot water off there solar panel? (1 Viewer)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Talking to a woman who is selling her late husbands Motor Home. She said the solar panel on the roof of the MH doesn't charge the batteries but gives her hot water. I haven't heard of that before. Am I missing out on something?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Technically possible if somewhat heavy. Presumably on the same principle as the ones that fit on the roofs of houses with water flowing through to boost the hot water supply. The simplest home version is a black-painted radiator absorbing the sun's energy and heating water inside. The Centre for Alternative Technology used to display those.

I've used half filled PVC solar shower bags on the MH roof in southern Europe and have ended up with water hotter than the Truma boiler produced. Handy for washing up. I've even showered with it.

Aussie surfers living in VWs have been known to stick a black plastic wide bore pipe on the roof filled with water, and a tap on one end, to take advantage of the sun's heat.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Number One Son (elder) has his entire north facing roof covered with standard black hosepipe. The swimming pool filter pump pushes the water up the onto the roof and by the time it gets back to the pool it's noticeably warmer.
Quite common to see hosepipe filled dustbin lids on the roofs of rural dwellings all over Africa. Free energy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
You can get Thermal Solar panels and Tubes normally for houses the most efficient can take water at 20°C and by the time it comes out it is over 50°C

The Black pipe method is quite famous for supplying hot water for a shower on the beach

But not heard of a permanent motorhome mounted thermal panel it must weigh quite a bit when full and the pump to push the water around may be a draw on older batteries

to give you an idea of a self build that doesn't cost an arm and leg check out http://www.solarfriend.co.uk/

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
bowman-roof.jpg

A roof top water heater. It seems, having Googled the question, that this is not a new idea.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Of course the problem with having any system with lukewarm to warm water swilling around in it for a while is the potential risk of Legionella over 20C. Not something that does for people in their tens of thousands of course, but it's worth knowing about. Middle-aged men are particularly susceptible, apparently. It's a recognised health risk at my workplace, where there's a lot of water swooshing about in summer heat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
It is possible to fit a system into a water heaters tank in the form of a sealed coil to heat the water, be it from the engine, Eberspächer or similar HYDRONIC Water Heaters, or a solar water panel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back