Anyone planning on driving south now France has opened? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
Have just cancelled our intended crossing from Harwich to Hook of Holland and booked a crack of dawn start from Dover for this Friday.

For testing, I have ordered antigen kits (£20 each) from EGL (Everything Genetics Ltd) which we hope to complete via phone/app on Thursday morning and then drive up to Dover in the afternoon & park on the seafront overnight.

The fall back plan is a firm called DAM Health in Swindon who will do in-clinic tests for £29 pre-booked, or £39 on the day.
I too have researched the "photo or video link" debate, but can find nothing to say the French have specified one or the other, so am keeping fingers crossed. Countries such as South Africa apparently specify clearly that it must be a supervised video link test if done other than in a clinic.

Garratt - a little alarm bell rang when I saw you were heading for Samoens - do note that if you intend to go out of France (ie routing thru Switzerland etc) you are required to comply with the same entry requirements as when you leave the UK, probably meaning another test unless you're still within the 24hr window of your UK test. I only noticed this on the French site last night.

For those travelling from Wales/Scotland, in theory you could still pre-order your test kits and take them with you to complete nearer your departure port (internet signal permitting!) I know that doesn't help if your come up positive, but it may be the only practical option. The other good point about ferry crossings is that one you're checked in it doesn't matter if there is a delay as your Covid test has already been checked.

We're off down to the Massif Central to check out a few of the smaller ski resorts en route to the French Alps and some of our favourite haunts such a Huez and Montgenevre. Here's hoping the temperatures start dropping and the snow falling!

Best to all.

Cb.

Pirahna

Free Member
Aug 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
Since never. I've been a lightweight tent camper for the last 45 years.
I've been in Spain for the last 10 days (got a ferry from Ireland) and have stayed inland. I'm pretty far south and have started to meet people coming in from the coast. They all say it's packed and are having trouble finding anywhere to park.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 22, 2018
Fairlight, Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
A class
Booked last week, so confident (hopeful) was I of improvement in situation.
Off at end of March, (Belgium/Holland) start of May (Vercors) and back end of June (Austria or Northern Germany) thanks to getting hold of 3 Frequent Traveller tickets to be used by end of June
Considering April but with all the changes, does anyone know when you can get a list of all paperwork now needed to travel to France and Spain please?

Aug 22, 2018
Fairlight, Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
A class
Would like to go May but does anyone know where you can get an updated list of paperwork that is now needed to drive france and spain? Thank you in advance?

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Hi
How do you get on taking your MH to Greece, are there plenty of places to stay? Where do you go? Sorry lots of questions! I absolutely love Greece and have so missed going there these last couple of Covid years. We have our first MH on order, hopefully be here April/May and trying to decide where to go first once we hit Europe. I don't want to get my hopes up as we have been trying to buy one for a year...have had to bite the bullet and buy new now.. and until it is here, or at least know its definitely coming I don't want to get my hopes up and start the trip planning until I know that it is finally happening!
Our experience of motor homing in Greece is quite limited so I suggest you read and follow Northernraider ’s current thread https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/tam-co-the-great-winter-escape.251858/ and also his previous one called hunting Zorba (or something similar!)
There are a few other good ones including Mousy ’s a couple of years ago.
We go twice a year - end of April to beginning of July and end of August until end of October-ish, last year it was November - as we keep a yacht in the Ionian. Until last year we had used the motor home purely to get to the boatyard via France and Italy, then were on the boat the rest of the time. But last year, after the boat had been lifted for the winter, we spent a couple of weeks touring around and saw some amazing places. We hope to do the same this year, if my mother’s health permits 🤞
Wild camping is “not allowed” in Greece, but as long as you don’t leave a mess it’s usually tolerated.

Apr 26, 2016
Preston
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Been in Spain for two months now and there are certainly a lot of motorhomes about, perhaps more than usual especially German vans. Usual wild spots very busy 134 vans between Villaricos and Palomares beaches last week and not a single Brit amongst them. Cabo de Gata beaches packed with plenty of young hippie types amongst them. But the sun is shining so get on down it will be great to get a few more Brits here before we head home until May.

I

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Would like to go May but does anyone know where you can get an updated list of paperwork that is now needed to drive france and spain? Thank you in advance?
I really really wouldnt be concerned about entry to or transit through france or spain until a week before travelling.

Its all looking good for us not to have any tests at all for returning at the back end of this month or the start of the next (for double jabbed) so Schengen are a couple of weeks behind us and werent shy in opening up the last couple of years.
I foresee no issues with testing for the summer period.

If I were leaving now and coming back in 3 or 4 weeks, I would not be buying an LFT until a couple of days before returning. (as i m triple jabbed)

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
In all honesty it's way too far ahead, as you know things have been changing every few weeks. Probably best to wait till a couple of weeks before you plan to leave then check on the requirements at that time.

Jun 7, 2019
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Talisman
Exp
Since 2018
Thankyou for that do you have to travel to one of their centres and they do the test or do they post one to you never done this before and trying to figure out how to get one done within the 24hrs of when we go any advice is appreciate.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I've been in Spain for the last 10 days (got a ferry from Ireland) and have stayed inland. I'm pretty far south and have started to meet people coming in from the coast. They all say it's packed and are having trouble finding anywhere to park.
That's very true, in one particular spot which sees on average 15/20 units, it was reported by a visitor here that they had left because it became uncomfortable for them, he estimated 140 units.....mainly German and French....without doubt, its the busiest I have ever seen in 23 years." So much for Spain needs us Brits", I'm sure the can squeeze you in somewhere...please don't use inland locations, that's all ours....(y);):ROFLMAO:

Jun 7, 2019
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Talisman
Exp
Since 2018
Thankyou for that I was getting confused as to wether you have to get it done by someone else or if you could have a test delivered and do it yourself and send results back to get the certificate also getting the results back time with some saying within 12 hours so results in15 mins is really good had a quick look at website and being in Derbyshire there’s not one local but the asda at ashford looks like it’s on route to the euro tunnel folkestone.
You can tell we’ve not done this since covid but hoping this will be the first of many trips really appreciate your help so Thankyou

Jun 7, 2019
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Talisman
Exp
Since 2018
Your so helpful and carnt thank you enough and hopefully eventually I’ll be able to help others when I know what I’m doing
our departure time is 16.20 and with their results being quick was thinking of doing test on the way down or do you advise to do day before and stay over also went onto the site and it was asking for log in details couldn’t see where to register but could see appointments available at ashford so will allow me to book them so is registering done during booking the appointments or do you have to download an app sorry to keep asking you’ve been really helpful many thanks again

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
We are booked to drive through France on 31st Jan to Spain, have got paperwork and Covid test sorted for France … do we need anything for the entry to Spain ?
Some very useful info on this thread, thank you. Just ordering test kits from C19. Fingers crossed.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We will be at abbeywell vets feb 2nd to collect our dogs AHC then onto Asda to do our tests, tunnelling early doors feb 3rd. Straight through France to sunny Spain. Can not wait!

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Eurotunnel next Monday and down to Spain for a month or so☀️🍺🏍🚲😀

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Your so helpful and carnt thank you enough and hopefully eventually I’ll be able to help others when I know what I’m doing
our departure time is 16.20 and with their results being quick was thinking of doing test on the way down or do you advise to do day before and stay over also went onto the site and it was asking for log in details couldn’t see where to register but could see appointments available at ashford so will allow me to book them so is registering done during booking the appointments or do you have to download an app sorry to keep asking you’ve been really helpful many thanks again
Is you use the testing centre at Ashford you would get the results within 15 minutes for a lateral flow test.

If you use Simplytestme they guarantee results within 6 hours but my experience has been it is more like 1/1.5 hours to get the certificate.

We general booked the test as close to within 24 hours but with enough buffer incase of delays and the time of the result is from when you take the test not when you get the results.

Jun 7, 2019
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Talisman
Exp
Since 2018
Thankyou for that information iv just booked us both for our tests at 9am on day of travel which is at 16.20 results with certificates sent within 2 hrs £29 each booked through DAM who have several clinics in different areas including one in Derby so ideal for us so we can then after our tests start our journey down to Folkestone🤞🤞Thankyou to everyone with replies and help I’d still be struggling to understand it all without all your help👍Just got the 3 doggies AHC appointment on Wednesday and then hopefully we’re all good to go🤞🤞😍Can I get excited now😍

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Bobandfay , wp1234 , Where have you been staying in Aguilas? Just wondering how busy it is. We normally stay at the Anibal camper stop. We like it there, but I've noticed that there's also another camper stop at what used to be the municipal campsite. :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back