Anyone on the NC 500 now or in recent days? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
We’re in Scotland with no particular agenda and find ourselves looking towards the next days travel on the west potentially taking us onto the NC 500 route. It’s clear there are plenty of mohos about, many hired and therefore inexperienced; I’m wondering if current conditions allow for a reasonable drive and places we can wild where we can find room should we continue up the west coast?

Thanks in anticipation.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
It’s seemingly very busy, I just read on another forum that a group of friends on motorbikes abandoned their planned holiday due to congestion. Queues, vehicles reversing to let others pass were some of the main issues, perhaps ok in a van, but on two wheels an enjoyable ride should hopefully flow without constant obstructions. I believe they intend to try again later in the year.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We are on it currently going anti clockwise.

Loads of hire vehicles about, however it’s pleasantly not busy. Roads have all been fine and we haven’t hit a jot of traffic.

Left Sango Sands this morning right at the top and that wasn’t heaving either.

Loads of places suitable for wilding and no midges so far either.

I would go for it! 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It’s seemingly very busy, I just read on another forum that a group of friends on motorbikes abandoned their planned holiday due to congestion. Queues, vehicles reversing to let others pass were some of the main issues, perhaps ok in a van, but on two wheels an enjoyable ride should hopefully flow without constant obstructions. I believe they intend to try again later in the year.
We’ve ridden up that area for over thirty years on motorbikes. Haven’t been for a good few years now since they named it. Ruined it would be a better word.
I tend to organise the route and the lads want to go all the way North next year. Hopefully the motorhome brigade will be abroad again by then. I’ll try to find the very small tight roads again which The Moho and caravan gang don’t use. Usually it’s trying to find good twisty motorcycling routes. Next year will be more about avoiding traffic. I’m thinking Helmsdale again, not the main road although that is very small but the none tarmac road/ track south of it.
We stayed west and south of the NC 500 this year, Oban, Mull, Ardnamurchan area then down to Montrose for our last night. The Buddhist monastery at Eskdalemuir is still closed and doesn’t look like opening anytime soon.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Biker friend of mine just got back from a week up on the NC 500. She said generally it was quite free and not busy. Couple of jams due to road works but mostly ok. Lot's of MHs she was saying.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
We’ve ridden up that area for over thirty years on motorbikes. Haven’t been for a good few years now since they named it. Ruined it would be a better word.
I tend to organise the route and the lads want to go all the way North next year. Hopefully the motorhome brigade will be abroad again by then. I’ll try to find the very small tight roads again which The Moho and caravan gang don’t use. Usually it’s trying to find good twisty motorcycling routes. Next year will be more about avoiding traffic. I’m thinking Helmsdale again, not the main road although that is very small but the none tarmac road/ track south of it.
We stayed west and south of the NC 500 this year, Oban, Mull, Ardnamurchan area then down to Montrose for our last night. The Buddhist monastery at Eskdalemuir is still closed and doesn’t look like opening anytime soon.
The irony is that the route now known as the 500 was I’ve read put together by a group of bikers. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
H
Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
Thanks for all your comments. We’re heading slowly north, on the 500 now we’re surprised that the traffic levels aren’t particularly high, at least so far.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We lived near Thurso for 14 years and obviously saw it at its best :)

Chatting on the phone to friends who live in Halkirk recently . Peter And a few guys headed west for their annual golf trip early morning No problem usual 1 hr 45mins to arrive . Coming home nearly 3 hours ! Traffic volume and people with no sense on how to drive single track roads !

When there in 2017 we pulled into passing places to allow oncoming traffic to pass and stupid b.....ds pulling out behind us to pass us !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back