Anyone noticed how the courtesy of motorhomers is going away... (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I think its a season thing, Ive noticed we get more "waves back" in the cooler months, I put this down to "hirers" in the summer who dont know the rules

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We are wavers, it adds interest to the journey. We notice the smaller panel van types often don't wave. Many mhomers do not wave on mways and dcarriageways, perhaps the distance away.
Funsters are now well aware of the wave but there are many mhomers that don't visit this site and think that us wavers are daft. :Sad:
Keep waving ::bigsmile:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We always wave and if people are too miserable to wave back then let them stay miserable. We occasionally have amusing moments when we are not sure whether what is approaching is a M/H or not. When not in the van and a M/H approaches we tell each other to remember not to wave. On most journeys we are waving so often that we are considering installing a mechanical arm to do a kind of royal wave as we pass each M/H

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaygee32

Free Member
Oct 9, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 1976
motorhome waves

We took our young grandaughter out in the 'van, she noticed we kept waving to other vans. "Are they friends of yours" she asked. "No" we replied, "just fellow travellers" to which she replied "How Cool!" that just about sums us all up doesn't it?::bigsmile:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Seems to be down to younger people coming into the fold.They dont seem to be as social as us oldies are.

Cough, cough splutter splutter. Us youngsters alway wave and have found it to be the other way round that its the older end of the scale that dont bother to wave. I feel guilty if I miss anyone then when they dont wave back I think why did I bother :Eeek:

OP
OP
parkay3560

parkay3560

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Almost Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Seems to be down to younger people coming into the fold.They dont seem to be as social as us oldies are.

Cough, cough splutter splutter. Us youngsters alway wave and have found it to be the other way round that its the older end of the scale that dont bother to wave. I feel guilty if I miss anyone then when they dont wave back I think why did I bother :Eeek:

LOL. I wasnt trying to put down younger people driving MH. I still think I am young yet LOL. Its just that when I found that people didnt wave back they seemed to be of the younger generation. When I passed older people in MH's I got really fab waves off them :)

Bessy regs

Kenny

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
I tend to get my waving mixed up,as a bus and coach driver I wave at them and having had old Vw`s for years I wave at them .Now Ive got a motor-home I now also wave at them ,trouble is I forget what Im driving at the time.:roflmto: So if you see some idiot in a coach waving its only me with my wrong head on :roflmto:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Sorted - why dont we have one them large hands made of foam with the Funsters written on it and then we know who's a funster or not when we wave??? ::bigsmile:

No offence taken, I'm 51 so not exactly a youngster

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
I don't think it's a case of wavers and non wavers, or social or antisocial motorhomers. I'ts just a case of whatever they're doing when you wave,if they're talking or not particularly watching for someone waving,then the chances are they will notice to late,if at all,and not wave back,or wave back once you've passed.I always wave,but I bet you I've missed a few because I've been pre occupied.Or maybe there's just a few ignorant motorhomers who are in cahoots with the antisocial brigade, and are out to spoil all our waving fun,either way I'll carry on waving like a madman when my wife's driving and my wife will wave like a lunatic when I'm driving:thumb:Happy travels everyone and carry on waving I will,Barry:yeah:

viks

Free Member
Jun 20, 2010
Funster No
We are 'younger' motorhomers and always wave, the only thing now is there are soooo many on the roads that you are doing it every couple of mins. Kids wave at the truck drivers through the dinette window, or make funny faces which keeps them amused!
Viksxx

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
Well it's nice to know MH owners also wave at each other. We have a Morris Minor and most Minor owners wave at one-another too. Can't beat a good wave ::bigsmile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
On the way back from Leyburn to Wakefield last Sunday , we had a run of 11 wavers . Everyone single one waved. It was brilliant .
Usually we get 1 waver to 3 /4 non wavers.:Sad:
We wave regardless , I wouldn't mind , half of the time they are looking right at you.
I can honestly say in our case , its the older ones that dont wave .
That is probably down to the fact that there are more older MH users on the road though .

As for panel vans and doblos , etc, we sometimes dont realize that they are MH till too late , and they are passing by .
But if they were to wave first , we would ,
so the moral is
Dont wait to be waved at , be a funster and wave first :roflmto:
Bev

OP
OP
parkay3560

parkay3560

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Almost Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On the way back from Leyburn to Wakefield last Sunday , we had a run of 11 wavers . Everyone single one waved. It was brilliant .
Usually we get 1 waver to 3 /4 non wavers.:Sad:
We wave regardless , I wouldn't mind , half of the time they are looking right at you.
I can honestly say in our case , its the older ones that dont wave .
That is probably down to the fact that there are more older MH users on the road though .

As for panel vans and doblos , etc, we sometimes dont realize that they are MH till too late , and they are passing by .
But if they were to wave first , we would ,
so the moral is
Dont wait to be waved at , be a funster and wave first :roflmto:
Bev

agree totally and I always do wave first LOL.....and Im going to be cheeky now and nick that last line of your post for my tagline....:ROFLMAO:

Bubbles

Free Member
Feb 21, 2010
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We just returned yesterday from our first trip to France in our motorhome and whilst away myself and the hubby commented on the this very fact. We found that very few waved (old or young) and when on some sites not that many wanted to interact either. At one point i got fed up waving and stopped but then I said No we're a friendly lot and i'm not gonna be put off.

Cheers

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
OK....On Friday I will be taking the A46, A1, A14, M11, M25 (then god knows) route to Eastbourne. I will be setting off at approximately 11am aiming to arrive around 4pm?

I will be grinning and waiving at all other MH's that come into sight and so PLEASE waive back or I'll sulk (and you don't want that to happen just ask SWMBO):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
agree totally and I always do wave first LOL.....and Im going to be cheeky now and nick that last line of your post for my tagline....:ROFLMAO:

Oh go on then , i'll let you:winky:
Bev

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I have noticed the smaller van conversions not waving - however, I think in general terms, the motorhome lifestyle has received a massive boost in recent years and there are many that are new to it....and don't understand or know of the wave!

If you look at how many posts are on this forum alone from people looking for their first motorhome.....and that is just the smart ones that do the research first!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I was standing on a bridge over the bypass watching the world go by last night and two people in a lovely old VW campervan (with a union jack painted on the front) waved to me.

How on earth did they know I am a motorhomer? Amazing! :roflmto:

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I drove back from Eastbourne today, having driven down on Friday and I found the waving to be about a fifty fifty split.

It was nice though, as I was all on my own, it really helped my journey along so a BIG thank you to all those MH ers who did manage to smile and wave hello.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I drove back from Eastbourne today, having driven down on Friday and I found the waving to be about a fifty fifty split.

It was nice though, as I was all on my own, it really helped my journey along so a BIG thank you to all those MH ers who did manage to smile and wave hello.

We were driving back to Eastbourne (where we live) same day, we may have waved at you (A class Rapido with blue Smartcar behind)

We always wave and mostly get a wave back, however panel van conversions are hard to spot, and A class drivers/passengers are a long way back from the windscreen so may not always be seen.
We have noticed that the number of 'wavers' in France seems to have increased, afew years ago only the GB waved back but now the French, Netherlands, Germans have joined in.

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
We wave to everyone followed by the words

"yep" if they wave back

or

"miserable gits" if they don't

(if they didn't see us it's not our fault - they're still "miserable gits")

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I was standing on a bridge over the bypass watching the world go by last night and two people in a lovely old VW campervan (with a union jack painted on the front) waved to me.

How on earth did they know I am a motorhomer? Amazing! :roflmto:

Did you have your MH Fun Knickers on ??:ROFLMAO::Blush:
Bev

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
First trip and waving

yes, we had about 50/50 wave on our first trip last week. M said I was obviously now in the 'club' and queried if i had my pant's leg rolled up....:ROFLMAO:

Being a newby, i am concentrating so much I missed quite a few who waved to me, and on motorways and the A55 out to North Wales it was difficult to see those going in the opposite direction with the traffic being so heavy.::bigsmile:riving2:

So, if i did not return a wave my apologies, and i promise to to better next time (tomorrow??) traffic conditions permitting.

Does this mean i am now officially flyingwelcome

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back