Anyone nearby willing to meet to give advice? (1 Viewer)

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We have really bitten the bullet and bought an autotrail chieftan. Our dream is to travel next year for 12 months, but now we are thinking what have we done? How will we handle this beast and are we totally mad? If anyone lives near Holmfirth in West Yorkshire who wouldn't mind meeting us (you to us, or us to you, whichever is best) we would be very grateful. We really need to meet seasoned, experienced motorhomes to help and advice. Any one please?

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Not got a mh (yet lol) but as a starter for 10 in the mean time have you seen ourtour.co.uk?

They travelled for 18mths full time, lots of hints and lists and info.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Sue you may be better going to the Lincoln show-there will be around 150 funsters there and I am sure there will be a few that do long stays /full timers that love to talk/discuss what you have to do -It may also be better to ask specific questions on the forum-that way you will have a written record and many different experiences to go by -IE what others do --The longest I have ever been away is only 4 weeks and that was in the UK so I cannot comment on ins bits or perhaps renting out your house-I can imagine all your questions but what my imagination and your questions have in common could be miles apart :D
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Good idea from Terry. I went to my first show in Peterborough at the beginning of this year's season and picked up lots of tips from other funsters. It will be too late to join the funsters section at Lincoln because advanced booking is closed. But you can always pay on the gate. You will get placed in the general section, but by the look of the map that is next to the funsters section You can always come along and join us in one of the evening get-togethers.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Sue..

we lived in our van for three years with two kids.. age 6 and 16. Packed the job in, sold up and hit the road.. traveled all over Europe and had a great time.. now back to the hum drum.

There are quite a few long termers/ full timers on here , so ask away.. you will get plenty of replies.. not all agreeing but all helpful.. and no question is too silly..

once you are 'on the road' the nerves will quieten down and after a few weeks will feel like seasoned travelers..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The best way is to get out there and do it..
Once you start using the van and meeting people you will pick up tips, advise etc,

The suggestion of going to Lincoln is good, your going to have 150 Funster vans there and all the chat you could want... At Stratford show last year there was a young couple who, instead of just chatting to salesmen, came around the FUN area and spoke with several of us.. They even returned on the evening to have a drink and get more input..

Good luck...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
T
Hi Sue..

we lived in our van for three years with two kids.. age 6 and 16. Packed the job in, sold up and hit the road.. traveled all over Europe and had a great time.. now back to the hum drum.

There are quite a few long termers/ full timers on here , so ask away.. you will get plenty of replies.. not all agreeing but all helpful.. and no question is too silly..

once you are 'on the road' the nerves will quieten down and after a few weeks will feel like seasoned travelers..

Thanks for this...sounds like it went good for you..
My biggest worry is that we have bought a motorhome that is too big...it is stored away now till next April, so,can't go to any of the shows to stay. I am a worrier and I just think we were mad to buy one so big with all the probable problems that go with it. What do you think? What motorhome did you have?

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
T

My biggest worry is that we have bought a motorhome that is too big...it is stored away now till next April, so,can't go to any of the shows to stay. I am a worrier and I just think we were mad to buy one so big with all the probable problems that go with it. What do you think? What motorhome did you have?

How big is too big ?
don't worry.. you need lots of space when full time.. ours was 36ft USRV .. with a twin axle trailer .

A picture tells a thousand words .. at Oban

DSC_2463.jpg

Morocco .. single axle trailer
DSC_1711_3.jpg

Morocco
DSC_1536.JPG

Morocco High Atlas mountains
PICT0278.JPG

Upvote 0

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Hi and welcome :)

What is it about the size, that you are worried about? You could always have a course of advanced driving lessons in it, to give you confidence?

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
T

We have an Autotrail Savannah which is 7.6 metres in length plus it has a tow bar fitted. I refused to drive it at first as I was so worried about a) the length and b) not being able to see out the back when driving forward (we have a reverse camera). I then went on a motorhome manoeuvring course because I knew I had to bite the bullet and get behind the wheel sooner or later. Best thing I ever did - was driving the beast up the M1 the very next day. (y) Not cheap, but then again neither is the motorhome. :)

Upvote 0

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
We have had two Autotrails in the past, one being the Chieftan. So ask away if you have any questions in particular about the actual motorhome!

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Sue
Mine is 4250kg and over 24ft I wouldn't dream of downsizing. Mine is stored at Wyke Mills, Huddersfield Rd so I'm not millions of miles away.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Sue
Mine is 4250kg and over 24ft I wouldn't dream of downsizing. Mine is stored at Wyke Mills, Huddersfield Rd so I'm not millions of miles away.
That's interesting, we are looking for storage...will definitely try to find out about this. So any information would be very much appreciated.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We have an Autotrail Savannah which is 7.6 metres in length plus it has a tow bar fitted. I refused to drive it at first as I was so worried about a) the length and b) not being able to see out the back when driving forward (we have a reverse camera). I then went on a motorhome manoeuvring course because I knew I had to bite the bullet and get behind the wheel sooner or later. Best thing I ever did - was driving the beast up the M1 the very next day. (y) Not cheap, but then again neither is the motorhome. :)
Great idea, will definitely do one...was yours run by a caravan club?

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Why have you got it stored away till April? Is it having work done, or don't you want to use it in the winter?
There's lots of places you can go through out the winter, hard standing . By April you could be fully used to your van if you continue to use it.
As I said on another post , were only in Wakefield , but have never had an autotrail .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
How big is too big ?
don't worry.. you need lots of space when full time.. ours was 36ft USRV .. with a twin axle trailer .

A picture tells a thousand words .. at Oban

DSC_2463.jpg

Morocco .. single axle trailer
DSC_1711_3.jpg

Morocco
DSC_1536.JPG

Morocco High Atlas mountains
PICT0278.JPG
Wow, I am seriously impressed. This looks fantastic....had you driven anything so big before? Any problems getting on sites? Or did you avoid sites. Thanks so much.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Why have you got it stored away till April? Is it having work done, or don't you want to use it in the winter?
There's lots of places you can go through out the winter, hard standing . By April you could be fully used to your van if you continue to use it.
As I said on another post , were only in Wakefield , but have never had an autotrail .
Hi. We have just bought it and have asked the dealer to keep it and do a few jobs. What motorhome do you have?

Upvote 0

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Hubby needs to do a manoeuvring course I think, but have you found yours easy to handle...for example reversing?
Hi Sue,
Manoeuvring was never a problem for hubby, but I am sure after you/your hubby take a course then you will get the confidence to take it in your stride. Practice makes perfect, and as Bev mentions on last post, unless your wintering it for repairs etc., then get it out and start using it. Otherwise you may end up spending the entire winter thinking you've made a expensive mistake! Once you get out there you will be smitten with motorhoming. It is a great adventure,

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
The secret about reversing is to get someone always to guide you. Having someone behind is always a good idea even when you are experienced.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Hi Sue,
Manoeuvring was never a problem for hubby, but I am sure after you/your hubby take a course then you will get the confidence to take it in your stride. Practice makes perfect, and as Bev mentions on last post, unless your wintering it for repairs etc., then get it out and start using it. Otherwise you may end up spending the entire winter thinking you've made a expensive mistake! Once you get out there you will be smitten with motorhoming. It is a great adventure,
That's reassuring. We are storing it as it does need some work, but also we are both mad busy till next year, when hopefully the adventure starts. Also I hope we can get it on the drive (to stock) but it's the manoeuvring there that could be tricky. It's wide enough and long enough, but reversing out will be challenging. I also need to investigate storage locally. So at the moment I am doing just what you predict...thinking we have made an expensive mistake!

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Get a reversing camera fitted and use your mirrors and you will soon get the hang of it.

Just do everything slowly and you will be fine

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Sue the only downside to big is you cannot get to park where large cars park- you will adjust to going places where you can park or perhaps get pushbikes etc.All the major supermarkets have very large car parks so you will learn to park in the far cnrs and take up 2 car spaces -it's really no problem unless you want to venture out on some minor roads -you just need a little forward planing - remember buses and bin wagons get to almost every place in the UK so once you get driving out and about you will wonder what all the panic was -It's a long time between now and April so get out in your van and enjoy (y)
terry

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi. We have just bought it and have asked the dealer to keep it and do a few jobs. What motorhome do you have?

This is ours, it's a Mizar GTL Living Top Class . We've had 6 happy trouble free years with her.
She will be for sale after Christmas . As hopefully Ralph will be well away with our new project by then. Our "R&B" panel van conversion.
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back