Anyone nearby willing to meet to give advice? (1 Viewer)

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We have really bitten the bullet and bought an autotrail chieftan. Our dream is to travel next year for 12 months, but now we are thinking what have we done? How will we handle this beast and are we totally mad? If anyone lives near Holmfirth in West Yorkshire who wouldn't mind meeting us (you to us, or us to you, whichever is best) we would be very grateful. We really need to meet seasoned, experienced motorhomes to help and advice. Any one please?

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Not got a mh (yet lol) but as a starter for 10 in the mean time have you seen ourtour.co.uk?

They travelled for 18mths full time, lots of hints and lists and info.
Thanks for this...just had a look, and it's a great site

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi Sue

Yes, I found it when we first decided to swop from a caravan to mh. It never occurred to me that people full time but I found their site inspiring. (Turns out they're quite local to us as well).

Think there's bits on youtube of theirs too.

I wasn't sure how far down the line you are and thought it might give you some food for thought until you get to meet some funsters face to face.

Best of luck

Upvote 0

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Sue. Don't panic. Many of us have been in the same position as you. We bought an Autotrail Arapaho just over 12 months ago having ummed anr arred about whether it was just too large for us to manage. Three couples came into the vehicle one after the other and each one convinced us we would not regret buying. AND WE DON'T! It hasn't all been plain sailing.

Reactions: Sue
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Hi Sue. Don't panic. Many of us have been in the same position as you. We bought an Autotrail Arapaho just over 12 months ago having ummed anr arred about whether it was just too large for us to manage. Three couples came into the vehicle one after the other and each one convinced us we would not regret buying. AND WE DON'T! It hasn't all been plain sailing.
It hasn't all been plain sailing.....why? What happened?

Upvote 0

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
Southport is comming up soon lots of funsters going
It's not that far for you

Hi Sue, sorry I've not managed to read each reply yet but there'd be nothing to stop you popping along to meet everyone at the Southport meet, as Peter & Elaine suggested, even if your MH is still in storage. You'd be given a warm welcome and have a lovely captive audience of brains to pick! (y)

Graham & Shirley are organising the meet if you're interested

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Hi Sue, we changed our 7.5meter mh for a cheiftain in june and spent whole of august touring through Belgium,Austria, & France, when we found a pitch we do as the germans do, walk on to the pitch, if it is not suitable walk away. The only problem we found was the grass pitches,, very soft after all the rain.
we tried to do as little moving around on grass as possible and made sure i had an easy run off.
Also, a few sites don't like tag axles, it chews up the grass,but if they don't want my money somewhere else will.
And you'll easy fit on most aires.
Beautiful m/h the cheiftain, glides gracefully on the motorways,, a real joy to drive,,, Dont worry you'll love it.
mind,,i have driven arctic trucks for the best part of 30 years.
I notice you live in huddersfield? Where do you store your van?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Hi Sue, sorry I've not managed to read each reply yet but there'd be nothing to stop you popping along to meet everyone at the Southport meet, as Peter & Elaine suggested, even if your MH is still in storage. You'd be given a warm welcome and have a lovely captive audience of brains to pick! (y)

Graham & Shirley are organising the meet if you're interested
Can't find when the southport meet is! Can you give me dates and details?
Would love to come.

Upvote 0

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
I notice you live in huddersfield? Where do you store your van?
Hi Sue,
I keep mine at home,,, i know there is somewhere near Castle hill that stores them,i think it's a farm on the Almondbury road.
The other storage places i have seen is white rose car sales at Colne bridge and there is a place on the Kirkheaton to Grange moor road,,called Mirfield something or other,, fishing & golf.
have you tried Peter roberts caravans at honley,he might do storage.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Hi Sue,
I keep mine at home,,, i know there is somewhere near Castle hill that stores them,i think it's a farm on the Almondbury road.
The other storage places i have seen is white rose car sales at Colne bridge and there is a place on the Kirkheaton to Grange moor road,,called Mirfield something or other,, fishing & golf.
have you tried Peter roberts caravans at honley,he might do storage.
Thanks so much, I will give them all a go

Upvote 0

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
It hasn't all been plain sailing.....why? What happened?
Sorry I did a couple of pages and lost the lot....... Technology!!:)

Vehicle really isn't a problem for any competent driver to handle. Reversing camera makes manoeuvring and parking easy. and the engine has plenty of power. parking - you just need to survey where you are going to drive into in advance, Some petrol stations can be a challenge if you don't take a good look at which line of pumps to drive alongside and take a good look at how you will get out (how sharp the turning is).

We suffered from flat batteries for a start. We find our vehicle battery will last about 3 weeks if we leave the vehicle completely switched off and the systems shut down. After that the battery is flat. So what I have come to do is to disconnect the clip on neutral lead if leaving the van for a few weeks or longer. Then I found not to leave the vehicle for any length of time with the fridge on - it runs off the vehicle battery not the leisure battery so guess what when you get back to the vehicle? Call the AA! now I am paranoid about switching over to gas whenever we leave the vehicle, even for a short while.

I posted a note for help due to a smell of bad water coming from the bathroom. I was confident that it wasn't the loo smelling but couldn't make out why the smell. Great advice from the forum to clean the water waste outlets by pouring cheap coke down the sinks and go for a drive. Then after emptied pour a small amount of fabric softner down the sink. Smells wonderfull!

This year we did a 4 week road trip. Brugge, Cologne, Koblenz, the Rhine, The romantic road from Wurzberg down to the Bavarian lakes then to lake constance, the Rhine falls, the black forrest, then back through France. We only did this after getting used tot he vehicle in the Uk, We had several trips for long weekends and a week here and there to get all the wrinkles out of the system first.

My wife would advise to be mindful of what electrics you have on when visiting some sites in Europe. On the lower amperage sites you might want to switch off the water heater before switching on the microwave (for example). Especially if you have to go to the reception to get the man to unlock the electrics box to re-set the trip! A real pain late at night.

Good luck and enjoy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Sorry I did a couple of pages and lost the lot....... Technology!!:)

Vehicle really isn't a problem for any competent driver to handle. Reversing camera makes manoeuvring and parking easy. and the engine has plenty of power. parking - you just need to survey where you are going to drive into in advance, Some petrol stations can be a challenge if you don't take a good look at which line of pumps to drive alongside and take a good look at how you will get out (how sharp the turning is).

We suffered from flat batteries for a start. We find our vehicle battery will last about 3 weeks if we leave the vehicle completely switched off and the systems shut down. After that the battery is flat. So what I have come to do is to disconnect the clip on neutral lead if leaving the van for a few weeks or longer. Then I found not to leave the vehicle for any length of time with the fridge on - it runs off the vehicle battery not the leisure battery so guess what when you get back to the vehicle? Call the AA! now I am paranoid about switching over to gas whenever we leave the vehicle, even for a short while.

I posted a note for help due to a smell of bad water coming from the bathroom. I was confident that it wasn't the loo smelling but couldn't make out why the smell. Great advice from the forum to clean the water waste outlets by pouring cheap coke down the sinks and go for a drive. Then after emptied pour a small amount of fabric softner down the sink. Smells wonderfull!

This year we did a 4 week road trip. Brugge, Cologne, Koblenz, the Rhine, The romantic road from Wurzberg down to the Bavarian lakes then to lake constance, the Rhine falls, the black forrest, then back through France. We only did this after getting used tot he vehicle in the Uk, We had several trips for long weekends and a week here and there to get all the wrinkles out of the system first.

My wife would advise to be mindful of what electrics you have on when visiting some sites in Europe. On the lower amperage sites you might want to switch off the water heater before switching on the microwave (for example). Especially if you have to go to the reception to get the man to unlock the electrics box to re-set the trip! A real pain late at night.

Good luck and enjoy
thanks
brilliant help

Upvote 0

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Only just seen this. We live in Linthwaite,no ideas on storage as we keep ours on the drive. If you need help let us know. Now on our 6th motorhome!

Upvote 0

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
I would advise putting a steel bumper across the back, I did when putting the towbar on, ive hit a ar with it and demolished some large concrete pots, but not a scratch on the motorhome, result.

Upvote 0

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
When you do store the MH remember to block all of the inlets/outlets otherwise you may find you have visitors

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Then I found not to leave the vehicle for any length of time with the fridge on - it runs off the vehicle battery not the leisure battery
It should only run off the vehicle battery when the ignition is on and engine running, sounds like you may have a faulty relay stuck in the open position.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, you really need to start using your motorhome, only if for weekends to start with, so you can find out what you need/don't need. I tend to prefer non electric sites, and to that reason, have 2 leisure batteries and a couple of solar panels.
heating and hot water run on gas or electric, and I have refillable gas bottles which I refill at local BP petrol station -- works out half the price of normal gas bottles.
I also have a rodent repellent, running on small batteries to keep the mice out. if it turns cold in the winter, they may seek refuge inside.
Read the instructions books, Perhaps sit in there one day with a coffee and read about the fridge, or water system or heating, and try an familiarise yourself with it. will they let you sleep in it overnight in the storage?
You don't even have to go far. my nearest camping is 1 1/2 miles away from home, all of 8 minutes lol
Good luck and enjoy!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Sue, are you coming to Southport then? :)
Hi again
We have a b&b at the moment, but it looks like we have no guests Sunday, so could come to southport them, but is that your last day, and will everyone be moving off then?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back