Anyone near or know Papworth near Cambridge ? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Be aware that they are modifying the M6/A14 interchange at the moment.

Yes it was a bit tricky there i had to ignore the sat nav and follow the new directions along the interchange for a while, there is a dangerous bit further along where the 2 A14 routes merge, it`s a bit dodgy if you miss it and try to pull out to the outside lane to soon.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Don't rule out M4, M5, M42, M6, A14, A1198.
Yep, same route for us, and have been doing it for many years, travelling back and forth to visit Rita's family near Swansea, and Funster friends near Hereford. The only part missing from that route, is the A449 (Newport to Monmouth), and the M50 to the M5, a lovely scenic route, cutting out the need to cross the Severn.

So, from Swansea.........M4, A449, M50, (Strensham Services - Half way point), M5, M42, M6 (South), A14, A1198. (y)

Safe journey.

Jock. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
This is the route we used and it was fine all the way, probably travelling on a Sunday helped ? Good fast roads all the way it took 5-6 hours plodding along at average 60mph,plus a few stops enroute. There is a shop, cafe and post office in the village and i heard there`s a restaurant somewhere too, on the hospital grounds there is a good cafe, small shop and a food van near the entrance so not as bad as i imagined. The parking is £15 for a week in a nice spot in the grounds which is cheaper than a site away from here :), Thanks for all the tips, Jack.
Sorry Jack,

Not all the posts were initially available to me when I responded to your request. :( Glad to see you arrived safely, and are sorted out. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks, we did take J24 Newport off the M4 up to the M50 instead of the route through the valleys which looked quicker.
We had a nose around today and found a place called Rockys bar just down the road with cheap enough menu boards outside and fairly sure there is a bar though we didnt go in i saw a few barrels out back, Also a good size mini market shop with post office a deli and a nice cafe full english £5 as we walked back i noticed a chip shop too at the rear end of the shop area. So not as desolate a place as i expected ;) hahaha, Cheers.

Feb 9, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon R
Exp
Huntingdon Boathaven great place to stay to visit Papworth Hospital and another endorsement for Steve's Taxis
IMG_20180726_170215.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
That's the way i'd go. Had to do virtually the same route in reverse (Royston to Swansea) a few years back. Avoid the M25 at all costs and getting round Oxford can also be a pig if you get your timing wrong.
The way to go, M11 route will add a lot of miles

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi autoswan

Worked at Papworth for 5 years before retiring and if I lived in Swansea I would use this route

Swansea M4 to Swindon
Swindon A420 to Oxford
Oxford A34 to Bicester
Bicester A321 to Bedford
Bedford A421 to Ai junk
A1 to St Neots
St Neots A428 to Papworth this route is 95% dual carriageway

hope this helps
Would use M4 to Newbury then A34 to Oxford and then your route,,BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back