Anyone looking for a great trip? (1 Viewer)

2escapees

Deleted User
Hi

Next year we are going hopefully going with a Swiss couple and some Germans to drive to Singapore. The journey will go through Belgium, Germany, Poland, Belarus, Russia, Mongolia, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaya and then Singapore and will take 6 months and 23,000 kms. From there some will ship their units back home by sea but we and a few others will ship to Darwin and start a long trip around Australia. From there who knows but hopefully to New Zealand and then the USA.

Originally we hoped to go to China via Turkey and Iran and back via Tibet, Nepal, India and Pakistan. But that has proved difficult and not enough people will to go. Unless of course there are few of you game for adventure?

We have already taken out Rapido to Russia in 2004 and to North Africa (Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Jordan, Syria and then into Turkey) in 2006 so this just seems like a natural continuation. With a motorhome anything is possible and you certainly don't have to limit yourselves to the UK and Europe.

What else is retirement for?

Mike::bigsmile:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Sounds absolutely fantastic I like your sense of adventure.

I've just finished work for a few years to do some travelling and have just completed a 3 week m/bike trip around Thailand and am itching to do more, some Rving some m/bike road trips.

Good luck I hope you have a fabulous trip, if my 1st journey was anything to go by you'll see things the average tourist could'nt even start to imagine. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Mike .. this is a serious motorhome trip.. not for the faint hearted.

I wish you well and look forward to reading about how your preparations go.

I'm sure you are familiar with the Silk Route Club.. if not then they have some excellent advice about planning and vehicle preparation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Mike, as soon as we lose the kids and as long as we are not too old by then, we will be undertaking trips as exciting as yours promises to be.

Wishing you the best of luck, and now you have found us we look forward to some stories of your travels, you could even keep a blog here if you like. The blogging software is good fast and free:thumb:

Safe Travels

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Mike,

Your trip sounds absoloutely fantastic! I do hope you will keep a blog I for one would love to follow your journey! :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Suzy thats only £9.500 in fuel, talk to bryan and TELL him your going too:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo
PS wev'e just made it to Warwick, sat at the Racecouse site waiting for fish-n-chips or Curry van to call, G&T Bryan? Hic!!

Last edited:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
What a fabulous trip! I would love to read about it and would love to go with you, but my hubby would freak out.
Best of luck and I can't wait to see the photos- you are living a lot of peoples' dreams!
Lucille

OP
OP

2escapees

Deleted User
What do you drive a bendy bus?

Suzy thats only £9.500 in fuel, talk to bryan and TELL him your going too:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo
PS wev'e just made it to Warwick, sat at the Racecouse site waiting for fish-n-chips or Curry van to call, G&T Bryan? Hic!!

That fuel cost is ridiculous my A class does 27mpg or 10 litres per 100 kms so that is 2,300 litres for the trip. Say 1 Euro per litre average, and that is too high because in Russia Diesel is only 20p and even less in China, it makes 2,300 Euros or £1600!

In France at the moment you can get diesel for about 82p! Don't calculate long trips based on UK prices. In North Africa we were paying 5p a litre!!!!!::bigsmile:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I look forward to seeing this adventure on the Discovery Chanel or BBC, so don't forget your video and still cameras.

Ralph

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We have already taken out Rapido to Russia in 2004 and to North Africa (Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Jordan, Syria and then into Turkey) in 2006 so this just seems like a natural continuation.

Love to hear more about your North African trip, do you have a blog or website.. ?

cheers

Jim

OP
OP

2escapees

Deleted User
Jim

Hi

The details of my North Africa trip formed three monthly articles in MMM this year I think it was June, July & August editions. Happy to answer any questions.

I'll post a few more pictures in my gallery in a few minutes!:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim

Hi

The details of my North Africa trip formed three monthly articles in MMM this year I think it was June, July & August editions. Happy to answer any questions.

I'll post a few more pictures in my gallery in a few minutes!:thumb:

Cheers , unfortunately I don't subscribe to MMM .. but I look forward to your pics and might have a few questions later ..

Jim

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
That is really some trip guys and glad your definitely getting your money worth out of your motor home:thumb:

8 to 9 mpg in my bus would slow me up:RollEyes:

OP
OP

2escapees

Deleted User
Jim

I'll email you the text of the articles if that would help?:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
That sounds really really ace.
I so qwish I had the guts to do something similar, good luck and make sure you keep a blog going.

OP
OP

2escapees

Deleted User
Just got more info so Jude is searching web for anything about Mongolia. We will have to put our motorhome on a flat bed train to cross the Gobi desert so that will bring a new meaning to camping on board since the journey takes 2 days and then train has no carriages.

But should be in Beijing for the last week of the Olympics.

:thumb::thumb:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Just got more info so Jude is searching web for anything about Mongolia. We will have to put our motorhome on a flat bed train to cross the Gobi desert so that will bring a new meaning to camping on board since the journey takes 2 days and then train has no carriages.

But should be in Beijing for the last week of the Olympics.

:thumb::thumb:

That sounds wonderful - what an exciting life you lead !:whatthe::thumb:

OP
OP

2escapees

Deleted User
The trips are exciting and I don't intend to spend my retirement years protecting my children's inheritance... they'll be lucky if they is anything left. Life is for living it is not a rehearsal.

:thumb:

Quintapedro

Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
blog!!!!

Fantastic! !

You must do a blog, that you post same photos and tell us same funny things and problems (that I hop not to much ) that will happen during that adventure. ..
I hop same day I will do that.
Have fun
Pedro

Hi

Next year we are going hopefully going with a Swiss couple and some Germans to drive to Singapore. The journey will go through Belgium, Germany, Poland, Belarus, Russia, Mongolia, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaya and then Singapore and will take 6 months and 23,000 kms. From there some will ship their units back home by sea but we and a few others will ship to Darwin and start a long trip around Australia. From there who knows but hopefully to New Zealand and then the USA.

Originally we hoped to go to China via Turkey and Iran and back via Tibet, Nepal, India and Pakistan. But that has proved difficult and not enough people will to go. Unless of course there are few of you game for adventure?

We have already taken out Rapido to Russia in 2004 and to North Africa (Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Jordan, Syria and then into Turkey) in 2006 so this just seems like a natural continuation. With a motorhome anything is possible and you certainly don't have to limit yourselves to the UK and Europe.

What else is retirement for?

Mike::bigsmile:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Pedro,

This thread was started in Dec 2007 with the last entry in Jan 2008........

I would hope they've been and returned home by now!

Simon

PS. Unless you know something I don't?

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi

I know Mike got to India, not sure about the australian part.

I am friends with him on facebook. They now have sold their Rapido I think it had some incredible miles on it, and it never broke down for the whole trip.

He now has a narrowboat, a great guy and a true adventurer.

Pat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back