anyone know what type of receiver this bung fits in (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm a bit surprised by the design of this water tank as the bung is really awkward to get to

It's only about 6" deep and as the drain plug us next to the cap I assume it's the same all over as this must be the low point

Anyway the plug leaks , a lot , not just a drip , almost a stream , I've tried warming it up in hot water to soften the rubber to push it in harder but it leaks just as much so I'm thinking whatever I'm pushing it in to is what's leaking
This is the style of plug but it's in such an awkward place you can't put it in straight and lock it
Screenshot_20200927-213654_Samsung Internet.jpg
20200925_184208.jpg

If the receiver is push in that would make it easy , I don't really fancy crawling about under the van if I can help it

Last edited:
OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hadn't noticed that but it looks like you're correct , I might see if I can just find a screw on cap the right thread , thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I would find a bend, length of pipe and a tap so you ain’t gota climb under the van, you can always use some sort of clip system to hold the pipe in place.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
The hole is to the left of the cap hole , there’s not enough room to put it in vertical and pull it over, I can’t understand why the drain hole is where it is

BC526216-0C98-498D-BE33-38C98DBB271A.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2017
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Starting to understand
I have 1 like that in my water tank right at the very bottom. You push it in before you fill with water & if you want to empty your tank out quickly you put your hand in & pull it back out.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
It goes in the fresh water tank. Pull the lever straight up and insert into the hole in the bottom of the tank and then push the lever down which expands the rubber sleeve. To empty the tank just pull the lever up and pull out the plug.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Looks like an afterthought, I would try and fit it from the outside and have room to operate the bung properly. A better idea would be to get a threaded piece with a valve to fit it from the outside. Or, you could cut the handle shorter so the it can be used inside the tank. It won't seal unless you can operate the handle properly.

Craig

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just looking at the picture there seems to be an awful lot of sealant around that plug, as if it's been broken off and repaired................................

Ask me how I know!

(A step ladder fell off the truck in front of me at speed, taking off the drain as I ran over it. One of these days I'll take the tank off and get it plastic-welded. One of these days!)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If that bung was designed for the outlet spigot I would expect it to be the same colour plastic, why make the spigot black and the bung white?
Look more like something you'd use to reseal a wine bottle.
Previous owner bodge!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The hole is to the left of the cap hole , there’s not enough room to put it in vertical and pull it over, I can’t understand why the drain hole is where it is

View attachment 428499
You could always shorten the 'handle' part so you can push it in vertically and then push it down, to make it easier to remove drill a hole though the shortened handle and put some cord on which you can then use to pull it vertical again for removal.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Aha! Awkward access to drain plugs is a German design speciality. They love to put them where you can't see them properly and have to pay extra for the optional double-jointed miniature hand transplant to operate the lever*.

* I might have made up that last bit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'll probably end up cutting the handle , at least I'll find out whether it's leaking through the bung or around the seal , the seal moves if you twist it which is why I was wondering whether it's just push fit

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Looking at the pivot point, it should be inserted with the handle upright, and as you fold the handle 90 degrees, it squeezes the rubber, so, in turn seals the hole.

Craig

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Looking at the pivot point, it should be inserted with the handle upright, and as you fold the handle 90 degrees, it squeezes the rubber, so, in turn seals the hole.

Craig

I'm going to have to cut the handle off, the tank is too shallow to put it in vertically and flip it over , had a look in B&Q today to see if I could find anything that might screw on to the bottom under the van but they had nothing

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Cut the handle off , got it in as tight as I can and it's still leaking , I can see what looks like black sealant spread out under the seal under the tank so it's looking like it's been a long term problem

It's going to need to go on a ramp , I can't get under it without jacking it up.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
It's the freshwater drain bung which sits inside the the tank, on a more modern van with this design you get two in order for you just to fill the tank to 20 litres.

After a degree of use they stop expanding wide enough to fill the drain hole, simple wear and tear, a length of self amalgamating tape wrapped around the expanding bung is a simple fix. Takes seconds... job done. Many owners replace them with rubber bungs used in homebrew demijohns.

The excessive use of black sealant under the van is quite standard practice in the European factories who build vans using the freshwater tank method.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
It just seems like it's leaking too much to be coming through the bung but i'll persevere

Thanks for the demijon tip i'll try that while I've still got some hair

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
The threaded external drainage point is a standard motorhome fitting. Many converters add a length of pipe to this and a tap allowing the owner to drain down the freshwater tank externally.

It's an easy job... length of pipe, tap, jubilee clip, sealant and a length of coat hanger wire to support the flexible pipe on the chassis under the van. If your really adventurous the last part looks far superior if you use a length of steel self tapped to the chassis and a spring clip to support the drain hose.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
How hard can it be to stop a drip!!!

Screwfix do this kit for £18 , but order only
Screenshot_20200929-182831_Samsung Internet.jpg

So wrapped some self amalgamating tape round the plug which has slowed it down by 50% but it's still leaking , and it was a pig to get in

There's a boat chandlery locally so I'll be paying them a visit tomorrow

When I get it stopped I might organise a street party to celebrate

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In the plumbing trade they are referred to as butt plugs, plenty of places stock them in different styles to suit. Do a search online or ask at your local plumbers merchants
I don't know that I'd want to go asking anyone for a 'butt plug' ... I was totally naive about them until I went to an Anne Summers party! :rolleyes: :oops::rofl:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
.... and .... does it leak????? :rolleyes:
It’s leaking from the sky too much to find out , I think the plug that was in it originally is the wrong one , it’s a very tight fit and doesn’t seal , this one went in easier and seemed to fill the gap when I threw the lever.

i‘ll find out tomorrow if it still leaks
if it does , it knows what’s coming
AA163119-B2F0-41E0-B4CB-1D9140B361C9.jpeg

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It’s leaking from the sky too much to find out , I think the plug that was in it originally is the wrong one , it’s a very tight fit and doesn’t seal , this one went in easier and seemed to fill the gap when I threw the lever.

i‘ll find out tomorrow if it still leaks
if it does , it knows what’s coming
View attachment 429420
Wimp! Get a bucket/bowl underneath the outlet and stick some water in the tank ... you REALLY want to find out NOW don't you! 🤪 :giggle:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back