Anyone know a plumber another toilet thread HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Not MH related but I have another toilet thread
My loo keeps running only very little bit in runs into the bowl for ages then all on it's own tops up the sistern (systern ?) I have taken these apart before but for the life of me I cannot remember how to open it to adjust it.
I am attaching 2 pics and any advice will be very helpful (not a sledge hammer)
20200403_173843.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We get it with ours, often get lucky by just pressing both buttons a few times

if not I open the front part to get to the cistern then by random poking around the air line connection it stops

the front panel or lid should just pull off fir access

not very technical but effective for me

but a few months later concede failure and get our pet plumber in to change the whole flush mechanism for about £50 ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
May depend on how it is mounted, Mine is a hideaway cistern and the button is on the front of the cabinet. I pull the panel off and unscrew the holding collar from the inside

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You will probably have to change the valve in the cistern. They are about £10 from screwfix. The picture you posted is just the release mechanism and is attached to the valve by a wire. You need to take the panel off remove the cistern lid and unscrew the the valve after isolating the water inlet. And replace it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the outer ring unscrews to lift the lid off the cistern. inside there is a rod connected to a flap. this flap starts accumulating limescale or grit and becomes sticky, as in it wont fall closed easily. turn off the water, drain the cistern by flushing, clean the flap and mechanism and lubricate with silicone spray. refill and it should be back to working fine

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
You have a cable operated system that is probably on a dual flush, if you gently lift the lid you will see a float system on a big screw thread, in the first instance turn the thread anti clockwise and you will lower the float that controls the water into the cistern, give it three or 4 good full depression flushes as the seal can be contaminated with bits of grit in the water. If that does not work , turn off the water at the stop tap and flush and drain the system, the float assembly can be removed if on a close coupled system ( toilet fits flush with cistern) by two butterfly bolts under the seat pan. You will need a new seal for the coupling and a new seal for the cistern float assembly look on line as to what model you have. Its very straight forward and usually caused by a bit of grit in the water, take your time switch the water off and remember we all have all the time in the world at the moment and if need be you have a toilet in the motorhome

OP
OP
Nanniemate

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Thanks for all your help, I have tried to unscrew it's not having it, tried to lift the lid off. it sticking firm, but rattling it about and being a little firmer than I had been, the trickle has stopped (for now) I have ignored it for a while as it was not big deal but it is starting to irritate now. I don't have a panel. I will keep an eye or an ear on it to see how it goes . No I wont, I will be playing with this until I get the lid off, Maybe with lock down and limited trades about it may not be one of my better ideas......
I have two other loos in the house but this is my favourite :unsure: and it can in the middle of the night sometimes be a little concerning as I live on my own and when it suddenly decides to refill I wake up thinking not only do I have an intruder but the cheeky bugger is using my loo o_O

Attachments

• 20200403_182357.jpg
    20200403_182357.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 37

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
On ours you push the smaller part down, this will enable you to lift the larger part of the button out, with both buttons out you unscrew the screw to lift the lid off the system. ?
Always good to have a toilet thread sometimes. ? Bob.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
The cistern lid should just lift straight off and the button comes with it. It will have 2 rods underneath that touch onto the fill valve mechanisms, 1 for short and one for long flush. Then you can see the flush mechanism. The lid had possibly been stuck down with silicone to stop it ratting. Just check along the join.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
You need to remove the two push buttons, push one button down and you should see the release recess for the other button using a lever or screw driver prize the button out.
20200403_185304.jpg

Under the buttons is a white screw head, this needs to be undone, then you will be able to lift off the top of the cistern.
Cheers
Ed

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Sometimes the flush buttons stick. WD40 in the buttons recess normally fixes.

OP
OP
Nanniemate

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Well, I'm back, thank you all for your help trying each suggestion worked brilliantly I finally found the right fitting too it out took it all apart cleaned it turned the washer around put it back together (no spare bits) and guess what …….
It is still running, but it was a very entertaining for an hour or so. :doh:and far more fun than the rubbish on the telly and it stopped me staring at the computer doing unpaid overtime

Looks like it will be a new part, so off to the screwfix catalogue (not sure if they are open) but online should be fine
The next instalment to follow :imoutahere:

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I think the issue maybe that the seal between the valve, cistern & toilet is weeping into the toilet.

The tank empties over a period of time, as water is trickling into the bowl, hence the cistern re-filling.

Had the same problem on 2 of mine - replaced the seal & they were fine

I think the part is called a flush valve seal

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
best thing to do is take a photo of what you have and get one delivered try lunns dot com or just google toilet spares

OP
OP
Nanniemate

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
best thing to do is take a photo of what you have and get one delivered try lunns dot com or just google toilet spares
That's far more sensible I was going to take it out and take it to the store and ask 'have you got one of these

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Hi Nanniemate it sounds like at the end of the flush cycle the syphon isn't being terminated this will lead to a small trickle of water continuing to flow into the bowl causing the inlet valve to occasionally activate as the water level drops.

The issue is with the flapper in the flush valve (the big bit that sits in the middle of the cistern) and is usually a sticking / damaged flapper or debris getting stuck in it, WD 40 isn't going to be any good though a spray of silicone can sometimes help, you can try clearing it if you are confident enough to take it apart but I have generally found the 30 minute job of changing it (assuming of course that there is anywhere open selling them near you) is easier than trying to fix them.

I must add here that I am not a plumber but have fixed (well replaced mainly) quite a few in my time though would bow to the greater knowledge of a tradesman of course.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
If you take the siphon part out you can take the washer off the bottom , go to a plumbers merchant show them the washer. The problem with these is they bubble for some reason and then don’t seal the water just seeps through the join. Did you clean the seating before you put it back together.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
There can be one of 2 problems, either the ballvavle is passing (replace diaphragm) or the flush unit is passing at the seal , if you look at stealways picture , the unit with the buttons on it is normally a bayonet type so a turn to the left will release it then lift it out , try cleaning the rubber washer then apply a light smear of silicon grease or petroleum jelly (Vaseline) that normally stops it

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Nanniemate , if you look online at BES they are an online plumbing supplies, with pictures so if you know what is is you can buy the same one which means you won’t have to split the cistern from the pan, making yourself more work

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
On another note these siphons are also built in overflows, they discharge through the valve if the water level is too high.

OP
OP
Nanniemate

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Up date, it is still trickling not as bad but, yes the washer has bubbled to I turned it over as YouTube suggested and this has reduced the trickle so the loo was quiet all night I thought I'd fixed it but no, just reduced the flow> I am now looking for the new washer but they are all different sizes so before I order I will have to take it back apart and measure it.
But I will resolve it with the help of you kind people thank you

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
When you take it out again either keep it with you to see if you can get a match, because they are not generic and they don’t all fit

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
It might be this one

Ideal Standard/Sottini Flushvalve Spares - Seal And Seal Clip SV01967 x 50
Ideal Standard/Sottini Flushvalve Spares - Seal And Seal Clip SV01967 x 50
Product Code: SV01967 x 50
Brand: Ideal Standard
MPN: SV01967 x 50
GTIN: 5017830313076

ideal-standard-sottini-flushvalve-spares-seal-and-seal-clip-sv01967-x-50-[3]-19668-1-p[ekm]70x...jpg

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
the only way to sort the problem is to replace the washer I must have done hundreds of these some washers only last 18 months before they leak through feel the washer surface if there are lots off small bubbles it is shot

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back