Anyone installed reversing sensors on Ducato? (1 Viewer)

Aug 16, 2014
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail GF70
Exp
since 1993
Just thinking of adding them to my PVC as already installed a camera but sometimes you're looking in the mirrors and not the monitor so useful to have an audible alarm too. Just realised though I've fitted a tow bar and this replaces the steel panel behind the plastic bumper with a heavy box section :-(

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Hi
I have been looking at the kit you recommend and I cannot find any ref to length of sensor cables, can you advise please.

From memory each one is about 2.5 metres long. I think I have a spare one in the garage and will let you know tomorrow.
They are definitely long enough to reach from the very right hand sensor to the left hand tail lights. I mounted the transmitter behind the tail light and
IMG_20200608_141359.jpg
in the garage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 25, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
2015 PVC, now from 2020 Coachbuilt
Hi
I have been looking at the kit you recommend and I cannot find any ref to length of sensor cables, can you advise please.

I have been fitting an identical kit this week after seeing Stealaway's recommendation. I wanted the transmitter box as high up as possible on the rear wall in the garage, and found that the sensor cables were too short for that. If Stealaway is measuring a spare, he will tell you what the supplied ones are. However there are sensor cable extension cables available: https://www.dolphinparkingsensors.c...Sensor_Extension_Leads/p3315236_14654218.aspx
I used those, I tested it and it was all working fine until this evening when it seems that the main unit has developed a fault. I have checked continuity, earth, sensors, and it all points to breakdown of the main processor/transmitter unit which I will have to get swapped over.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If Stealaway is measuring a spare, he will tell you what the supplied ones are

The sensors I have are over 2.5 metres long. I mounted my sender directly behind the nearside rear light, lowdown and behind the cover. I have haven't had any problems with signal strength. They work perfectly.
In the past I have mounted them in a waterproof plastic box outside and simply screwed under the floor.

Rustyspanners

Free Member
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi I've just ordered the from and rear sensor kit of eBay. While I'm at it I would like to change the reversing camera as mine is very low res.
Has anyone had experience of cheap cameras from say eBay what were they like and which ones did you get.
This could save me and others from buying something that's rubbish.
Cheers

Feb 10, 2022
Aberdeenshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40 Platinum
Exp
Campervanning for 5 years, now on our our second van. Mostly off-grid & remote park-ups
If it is a Ducato van conversion then it will have the original bumper I would have thought. I fitted front and rear sensors to my PVC but could only fit two sensors to the rear. The steel bar behind the Fiat bumper does not have enough clearance for sensors to be fitted and if drilled to allow fitting, the steel gives false signals to the sensors. I fitted one sensor to the plastic trim below each of the rear light clusters, where there is no steel reinforcing, and this gives warning of obstructions at each rear “corner” and still overlaps in the middle although the sensing range is a bit inaccurate. A reversing camera takes more care of the middle section.
I bought an inexpensive 8 sensor lorry system from the internet, about £60 if I remember right. Buying the lorry system gives you longer cables on the rear sensors, a standard car kit does not give you enough cable.
Could you possibly pass on any info on fitting the front sensors please, especially -
1 location of the sensors
2 does the bumper have to come off
3 did you have the control unit inside or under the bonnet
4 how did you route the cables into the cab
Any info, much appreciated, as following an altercation with a wall & a £300 repair job, I really need to fit some. We have a 2021 model by the way
Many thanks
Kevin

Johnra

Free Member
Sep 27, 2021
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 540 Blue Evltn
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've just fitted rear sensors on our Fiat Ducato based Hymer Free 540. The rear black plastic bumper cover was removed with 4 screws underneath. There are holes in the steel crash bar and the 4 sensor positions are marked in the plastic.

Cable holes to the rear cab are either side with square rubber covers with slits in as can be seen on photo 110211 lying loose on the right hand side.

The rear light cluster was removed with two nuts accessed from the inside to find the reversing light wire, and the buzzer was routed through to the front, but could have been left at the back.

<Broken link removed>

It works well and only took a couple of hours, total cost £80.

John

Attachments

• 20211210_160716.jpg
    20211210_160716.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20211210_161923.jpg
    20211210_161923.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20211209_110211.jpg
    20211209_110211.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20211211_115600.jpg
    20211211_115600.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Steve-N

Free Member
Sep 14, 2021
Cheltenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Camper
Exp
2nd Campervan since 2019
Hi - I've just got a Ducato-based camper, thinking of installing reversing sensors in the rear bumper - anyone done this? I see from the manual it's an option on Ducatos, so I'm wondering if the holes are marked on the back of the bumper perhaps. Looking underneath, there's a metal bar behind the bumper so I'm worried if I drill the bumper there won't be enough room behind for the depth of the sensors, so any help from someone who's done it would be great :)
Hi,
Yes the hole positions are pre marked on the inside of the bumper and are easy to drill using a hole cutter.
If you fit a genuine Fiat kit it will integrate to the reverse gear when selected. The module fits discretely behind a rear light unit.
Easy to install, took about 2 hours.
Steve.

Newcamperowner

Free Member
Jan 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
6 months
Why bother with sensors when you can fit wireless reversing cameras, at bumper level and or, high up. You can also wire them in as rear view cameras using the rear side lights.
Fitted to my Trafic with better night vision than factory fitted on my Jazz and Polo.
Mine is Auto-Vox with excellent after sales service. Other makes also on sale via Am and eB. Mine cost about £100 2 years ago.
You may need to make a small bracket if you fit the camera on a curved surface.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Why bother with sensors when you can fit wireless reversing cameras, at bumper level and or, high up. You can also wire them in as rear view cameras using the rear side lights.
Fitted to my Trafic with better night vision than factory fitted on my Jazz and Polo.
Mine is Auto-Vox with excellent after sales service. Other makes also on sale via Am and eB. Mine cost about £100 2 years ago.
You may need to make a small bracket if you fit the camera on a curved surface.
Or, if you have a compatible Garmin satnav, a Garmin BC40 wireless camera - no wiring required at all! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back