Anyone in Morzine, Les Gets or Montgenevre aires (1 Viewer)

Nov 13, 2019
Husbands Bosworth
Funster No
MH
Laika A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi,

Looking at doing our first motorhome ski trip, intending to be on the slopes for a month starting around 5th Feb. We like and know Morzine/Ports du Soleil and we did a recce trip to Montgenevre late 2019 by car.

I think that ideally I'd book a campsite for a few days to get us started rather than rely on spaces being available in an aire although that won't be possible if we head to Montgenevre, no campsites on the slope nearby.

If anyone has any suggestions that'd be very helpful, if there are any reports from Morzine, Les Gets or Montgenevre it would be really good to know how things are shaping up.

Thanks

John

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We have some friends in Montgnevre now = They said the Aire was very quiet - good snow - Our experience there is if you can get there mid week - it is OK - Weekends can be absolutely choka blok as Italians just fill the place. It is very good - says 10 amps on hook up - but we had everything on we could as very cold temps and it was fine - ski in and out - good place to start

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
We've been to Montgeneve on a few occasions now. The aire as you know is big and parking on a ski aire can sometimes prove difficult but there is a good camaraderie among people who do this. We have double parked in spaces with other people before now. The lucky thing for you is there are funsters actually there when you go so you could post on here and they maybe able to send you a picture? Armytwowheels . I think we may go early March and take a trip through Serre chevalier. and see whats happening. Les Gets is nice and Morizine great with snow but not camped there.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Hi,

Looking at doing our first motorhome ski trip, intending to be on the slopes for a month starting around 5th Feb. We like and know Morzine/Ports du Soleil and we did a recce trip to Montgenevre late 2019 by car.

I think that ideally I'd book a campsite for a few days to get us started rather than rely on spaces being available in an aire although that won't be possible if we head to Montgenevre, no campsites on the slope nearby.

If anyone has any suggestions that'd be very helpful, if there are any reports from Morzine, Les Gets or Montgenevre it would be really good to know how things are shaping up.

Thanks

John
Hi John, we know Les Gets well and Montgenevre too. not Morzine so well. Les Gets Aire does get pretty rammed in Feb as it seems to attract French Belgians and Dutch who stay during the school hols. I second what has been said about Montgenevre arriving midweek and not weekend, it’s starling the influx of Italians at weekends - big vans full of the whole extended family. The Italians don’t have half terms as such. Campsites, you could consider some around Les Arcs and La Plagne. There are some in the valley between the two, a big one at Bourg St Maurice and our favourite the municipal at Montchavin. That one has great views and easy access into both ski areas as it is just down from the link. You’d probably need to book though in Feb. Same would apply for most French campsites. If you want smaller ski resorts take a look at High Maurienne Valley or La Toussuire in Les Sybelles ski area in the Low Maurienne Valley. Valloire has a paying Aire ( camping car parks) with charging electric and water/ Waste, as well as a campsite.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi. As said we are at Montgenèvre now and plan to be here as long as the snow is good, which it is at the moment. There is plenty of space at the aire now the Italian and French kids have gone back to school.

It has filled up a bit this afternoon and will empty out again during Sunday afternoon, but you would still get in. If you arrive before the 9th Feb (French half term starts) you should be ok to get in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J
Nov 13, 2019
Husbands Bosworth
Funster No
MH
Laika A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for your updates, think I might just try Morzine or Les Gets aires to see how things go. Currently thinking it's best to follow the weather.

John

Aug 19, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Concord
Exp
Since 2009
I have just checked the meteo for Les Gets today .. loks like too warm until Saturday, 3 days of cold and then going warmer. No new snow forecast. Lower slopes show as 30 cms but my experience with LG is that they over estimate whewn it starts to get thin.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Morzine aire is away from the town centre, there is hookups available and ski bus stops alongside, carrfour supermarket and the sports centre motorhome parking is possible if discreet. Of course Avoriaz is available if snow lacking down in Morzine.

OP
OP
J
Nov 13, 2019
Husbands Bosworth
Funster No
MH
Laika A class
Exp
Since 2013
Back again ... booked the chunnel for the 3rd Feb, allowed two days to travel so we should be in the ski areas 5th or at worst 6th Feb.

Looking at the snow cover a lot of the lower resorts are a bit thin or green in places but it does look like some snow coming this weekend. With that in mind is anyone in a resort at present, could you say which and what the snow is like, maybe add how busy the aire is ?

Thanks

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Plenty of snow in Montgenevre, blizzard conditions today so photos taken from inside. As you can see there is plenty of room today.
20200128_122432.jpg
20200128_122416.jpg

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
We have just returned from a month of skiing. We did 4 resorts and the toll free route. A couple of days in Les Rousses for cheap ski passes and to get the ski legs back. We spent a week at Les Gets and although it is 20 euro a night we never saw the gendarme to pay. Last year we had 3 weeks on this aire/car park and only paid for 4 nights. The beauty of it is ski in ski out but its basically a car park. There is the shit pit to empty but no water. The fot blue is a long way away so water is a long slog with heavy containers. Last year we took water from the ski lift toilets but they stunk to high heaven this trip so didn't bother. LPG is cluses but its an easy drive up and down so no bother. We had a week in Grand Bornand on the campsite because my wife broke her arm trying out boarding and a camp site shower is easier with a cast on. Great doc in Grand Bo. Consultation, Xray and plaster all for 140 euro. The insurance was impressed at the price. We then spent a week in Les Saisies on the aire in town. I think we paid about 8 euro for 24 hours. The gendarme come round to check every day here. There is a fot blue but get a metal hose connector as its the push in type and comes out at a high pressure. The aire tetras that used to be the camp site is 19 euro a night and that comes with 16 amp hook up. We didn't stay here but ski'd in to have a look. The shower block is decommissioned. It is a long walk into town and a hard hike up the hill back after some apres ski. There is a tiny bar near though and apparently the bakery is very good. We were going to move to Montgenevre but the wife got fed up skiing with a cast on and showering in the van with it was like doing the hokey cokey. In the month we were out it only snowed a couple of times but there was plenty on the slopes and it was blue sky skiing nearly every day. I should say that the aire in Morzine is horrible. We went for a look and it was full of long termers. We met a youngish chap who had moved from there because he had had enough of drum and bass until 6 every morning. Of course you may enjoy that sort of thing but thats just my opinion. I should also say that the aire in Les Gets is right at the end of a red run and the snow blowers are on most nights as are the piste bashers. It also gets rammed like most places at the weekends.

OP
OP
J
Nov 13, 2019
Husbands Bosworth
Funster No
MH
Laika A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi and thanks for all your updates, we're at the Les Gets aire now and the weather is great but a bit too warm during the day, it's melting all the south facing slopes. Can't complain though as it makes for fantastic holiday weather.

Unfortunately our little generator is playing up which makes a non-EHU site a bit risky as we need the leisure battery to run the Alde wet system. I'm of a mind to get down to Montgenevre on Monday or Tuesday given that Montgenvre has EHU for all pitches. I've looked at La Plagne but it is fully booked according to the web site. Any other suggestions for a next stop ?

Thanks

John

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
The snow is still good in Montgenèvre and if you arrive after the weekend you will have no trouble finding a place.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Hi and thanks for all your updates, we're at the Les Gets aire now and the weather is great but a bit too warm during the day, it's melting all the south facing slopes. Can't complain though as it makes for fantastic holiday weather.

. I've looked at La Plagne but it is fully booked according to the web site. Any other suggestions for a next stop ?

Thanks

John
I have parked at La plagne Montalbert, tarmaced area, ski in and out, laundrette and cafe/restaurants, small shops

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back