Anyone help with roller team 746 (1 Viewer)

Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
C Class
Hi everyone, after spending all my childhood years in a motor home for most school holidays and summer weekends, I’ve come full circle ano we’ve just laid down a deposit for a brand new Roller Team 746. Whilst we much preferred the outside look of the low profile 747 we just couldn’t resist the inside space of the 746 with the massive over cab double bed With no need to drop down the bed from the roof. We will live with the massive and outdated over cab hump :) Anyway my question is are there any fellow 746 or 747 owners in the group and if so:

1/ Do any of you have weight issues with keeping bellow the 3500kg limit? (448kg seems very tight)
2/ Is there any must have extras that don’t come as standard with the Roller Team? (We’ve already added rear TV bracket, Canopy awning and extra 230v sockets at the rear)
3/ Any tips and tricks/words of advice that any current owners can offer us?

thank you so much in advance, I can’t wait to get the family in the motorhome world.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Unfortunately I have no C1 licence otherwise we would be going for something in the higher weight class. I certainly did say we wanted it for 5 people and actually now I’m thinking of it I believe that it’s possible in the UK to cancel any contract in the UK without forfeiting any money within 14 days right?
SpeedyDux Chris Silver-Fox

Lets ask the briefs

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
believe that it’s possible in the UK to cancel any contract in the UK without forfeiting any money within 14 days right?
I think you may correct if distance selling, i.e. if you did the sale over the internet or phone. If in doubt get some legal advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
C Class
Thanks everyone, is adding a tow bar and small trailer one solution to the payload issue as I understand I can tow a 750kg trailer on my B1 licence. Or does this cause other issues?

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Thanks everyone, is adding a tow bar and small trailer one solution to the payload issue as I understand I can tow a 750kg trailer on my B1 licence. Or does this cause other issues?
Dont forget, Towbars are heavy!

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Only the obvious ones afaik. length, 3 point turns, additional weight on the van itself, limiting some places to stay (not many)

I would see going down the towing route as putting off the inevitable of resolving the issue forever by getting a C1

"All C1 training is charged at £50/hr, DVSA Test Fee is £115 (£141 out of hours). This means that your C1 training and test could cost as little as £515 including test fee!" Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
"All C1 training is charged at £50/hr, DVSA Test Fee is £115 (£141 out of hours). This means that your C1 training and test could cost as little as £515 including test fee!
and a towbar, wiring, trailer, etc would probably be more.:unsure:

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Unfortunately I have no C1 licence otherwise we would be going for something in the higher weight class. I certainly did say we wanted it for 5 people and actually now I’m thinking of it I believe that it’s possible in the UK to cancel any contract in the UK without forfeiting any money within 14 days right?
I think the 14 day thing only applies to online or telephone sale.

If you told the dealer you wanted to carry 5 people you have been missold so they must refund your deposit.
Unfortunately most dealers don't give a toss if the van is fit for your purpose they just want a sale.

In the overall scheme of owning a Motorhome the cost of getting a C1 licence will be well worth it, you should be able to do it for around £800 and it doesn't take long.

Edit:
Just seen your post about a trailer, a towbar will cost around £1k and add 50kg in weight to the van and depending on the chassis arrangement not all Motorhomes can be fitted with a towbar.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
C Class
You shouldn’t lose the deposit as they weren’t really very forthcoming with the weight information.
Getting the C1 and uprating the weight would be the best way forward and if this is your ideal van then don’t be put off .I am going to have to look on it online now and see what it’s like .
You could always get someone to follow you in a car which would help to keep the weight down until you get the C1 and weight upgrades done .
This is an option and one I was thinking of, did you have a look at the vehicle?

Upvote 0

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
That sounds like a plan to me.

The thought of losing a deposit hurts my insides. Its just some workarounds that are needed that appear insurmountable but they arent.
I agree. In the meantime the OP can get the C1 and weight upgrades and even get someone to follow in another vehicle .
This is an option and one I was thinking of, did you have a look at the vehicle?
Yes I looked and it’s absolutely lovely . We have a swift sundance with the over cab bed and rear lounge . It’s a great layout 👍🏻

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Hi everyone, after spending all my childhood years in a motor home for most school holidays and summer weekends, I’ve come full circle ano we’ve just laid down a deposit for a brand new Roller Team 746. Whilst we much preferred the outside look of the low profile 747 we just couldn’t resist the inside space of the 746 with the massive over cab double bed With no need to drop down the bed from the roof. We will live with the massive and outdated over cab hump :) Anyway my question is are there any fellow 746 or 747 owners in the group and if so:

1/ Do any of you have weight issues with keeping bellow the 3500kg limit? (448kg seems very tight)
2/ Is there any must have extras that don’t come as standard with the Roller Team? (We’ve already added rear TV bracket, Canopy awning and extra 230v sockets at the rear)
3/ Any tips and tricks/words of advice that any current owners can offer us?

thank you so much in advance, I can’t wait to get the family in the motorhome world.

Just have it up plated to 3650kg and you'll not have any problem with an 8 year old. You're not full timing so don't need 1001 items onboard. If you're planning on predominately using sites for weekly hol's with your child you won't need to be lugging 100kg of water around with you nor will you need a 2nd leisure battery.

You could also look at the Zefiro 690 G. It's got nearly 90kg's more payload and you wouldn't need to upgrade the engine as Fords 130 has more pull than Fiat's 160. That'll put £900 back in your pocket and it has a rear garage.

Get the drivers pack and if Roller team have started offering the pleated cab window blinds have a look at them too although my missus prefers the silver ones that come with them.

Awning will weigh around 35kg, the new Fiamma's are lighter.

...and if your happy with Roller Team and if your dealer stocks them look at AT's F lines, you may well save a few quid, get a lot more in your cab with both option packs, a spare wheel and possibly have a slightly better payload too even with the cost option dinette.

Book says ours weighs 3000kg, nope, 2886 on the weighbridge they used prior to dealer delivery.

Never had C1 and the two of us who aren't stick thin, me especially at 140kg, have never had a problem with 3500kg vans and by my avatar we'll even lug an inflatable awning with all the trimmings with us and a B&Q plancha.

Upvote 0

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Just have it up plated to 3650kg and you'll not have any problem with an 8 year old. You're not full timing so don't need 1001 items onboard. If you're planning on predominately using sites for weekly hol's with your child you won't need to be lugging 100kg of water around with you nor will you need a 2nd leisure battery.

You could also look at the Zefiro 690 G. It's got nearly 90kg's more payload and you wouldn't need to upgrade the engine as Fords 130 has more pull than Fiat's 160. That'll put £900 back in your pocket and it has a rear garage.

Get the drivers pack and if Roller team have started offering the pleated cab window blinds have a look at them too although my missus prefers the silver ones that come with them.

Awning will weigh around 35kg, the new Fiamma's are lighter.

...and if your happy with Roller Team and if your dealer stocks them look at AT's F lines, you may well save a few quid, get a lot more in your cab with both option packs, a spare wheel and possibly have a slightly better payload too even with the cost option dinette.

Book says ours weighs 3000kg, nope, 2886 on the weighbridge they used prior to dealer delivery.

Never had C1 and the two of us who aren't stick thin, me especially at 140kg, have never had a problem with 3500kg vans and by my avatar we'll even lug an inflatable awning with all the trimmings with us and a B&Q plancha.
Interesting .
What sort of weight does the van come in at on the weigh bridge in “ holiday mode “? 👍🏻

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry I’m late to this thread, I have a roller team 600 for the 12 years. previous model to 746. New it weighed 2950kg on delivery. we love the overcab bed, loads of space to store bedding during the day The bed cost about 2-3mpg due to drag. We never fitted an awning and never missed it would save you weight.

Unfortunately a trailer will not help you as class b driving licence is train weight (mh + trailer) 3500kg.

we love our RT and would not change it, good luck.

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
1,000kg payload 😲 looking around that doesn’t exist even on larger Motorhomes. In my research average is 4-500kg for most on market nowadays. Not planning 5 people on 2 week trips but weekends at most. 3 of us my thoughts are 442kg (avg passenger 65kg) so 312kg for the extras (100kg for attached extras) leaving 200kg payload surely that’s enough for clothes, food, kitchen accessories etc?? Or am I missing something?
It’s not just payload to worry about - axle loading is very important

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I wouldnt.
I would uprate immediately and if you havent got your licence, get it. You will have it for life.
Or look at something that fits better your circs, with the same dealer.
I would not forfeit my deposit. (unless it was extremely minimal)
Once you reach 45 it has to be renewed every 5 years

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

We don't have all the details so I would hesitate to say anything specific. It looks as though there might be a potential remedy based on an alleged breach of the implied term of fitness for purpose (called suitability nowadays). If it is an Order placed on the dealer's premises, then there is no cooling-off period unless the terms and conditions of the Order says so (unlikely). Those T&Cs hopefully should also state whether the deposit is refundable and if so in what circumstances.

Distance selling is covered by this:

Happy reading!

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting .
What sort of weight does the van come in at on the weigh bridge in “ holiday mode “? 👍🏻
Last one was 3420 with everything.

We had the air con refitted to the roof and an awning which took 67kg off the payload. The van is 3104 with just us two in it, 2 x 8kg gas bottles, full tank of diesel & Adblue and 30 litres of water..

Plancha 29kg, Awning 32kg, 2 chairs 8 kg, 2 tables 8 kg, Aqua roll & Waste master 9kg, windbreak 8kg, cloths combined including towels 45kg. I only need 1 pair of shoes, 1 pair of sliders and one pair of trainers.

That only takes us to just over 3240.

Tool kit including a rivet gun, 16.8v cordless drill & T handle allen keys weigh in at 6kg, 3 bottles, pink, blue and grey tank cleaner concentrates, 3 kg's.

I could go on and on and on...

We were careful in not opting for van with stuff we'll never use like a drop down bed or dinette with travel seats, waste of payload. I'm paranoid about payload, the farm weighbridge we use by Harrogate know me by name now and I weigh everything down to the 12v lead used for the water pump for the aquaroll.

We only holiday in the van so always tend to be on a site plus the missus won't stop overnight on an Aire or Stellplatz etc. We've already done a hell of a lot of travelling in the past so the van and sites are really a quiet NHS respite for her to stop her head falling off.

I retired at 47 so I'm happy just to go with the flow.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Tow bar will take about 28kg off your payload and YOU CAN two a 750kg unbraked trailer on a B1 licence, you have a maximum of 4250 kg... 3500 + 750.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
C Class
Hi all, so the dealer has sent me this today….. what are the thoughts and based on the numbers what’s the MRO?

A32A8043-F643-49BB-BCF2-76DF7FF68CEF.jpeg
A32A8043-F643-49BB-BCF2-76DF7FF68CEF.jpeg

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Hi all, so the dealer has sent me this today….. what are the thoughts and based on the numbers what’s the MRO?

View attachment 472758View attachment 472758
Its an expensive car for 5 !

So 502 kgs to play with according to their figures which includes the liquid already in there.
If you use the vehicle for you, the wife and the 8 year old and travel light.

Start taking things away from the 502 kgs
Weight of all passengers
Awning
Extra gas cylinder
solar panel
carrying water
clothing
Kitchen equipment
food
Fridge stuff
Wine, beer, gin, squash.
Pushbikes
Books

I wouldnt do it, but I have a C1 licence. If I were you in your situation, I think I would do it, but I would also get the C1 sooner rather than later. And I wouldnt bother with the tow bar

Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I think that’s looking very tight,,maybe not a good idea,,I’m with the rest, get a C1 and open up your options,,don’t spend your life worrying about loading,,you buy a MH to enjoy,,not poo your pants every time you go out in it,, (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back