Anyone heard of this solar controller? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Due to space/supply issues GoEuropean (GMC) are only able to put a single 150w panel on our new Carthago (instead of 2 x 100w) which AFAIK is being installed with the below controller but I've not come across one of these before so I'd appreciate comments from solar 'aficionados' about it and if anyone else has had one what their experience of it was:

1570035292615.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it lives up to the spec (I just downloaded the manual) it should be ok as it is a multi stage charger.
If it was me I'd rather have a Votronic.
Do make sure they wire the panels properly most dealers haven't a clue where the pre installed cables run and often fit their own undersized cables.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
.......most dealers haven't a clue where the pre installed cables run and often fit their own undersized cables.

Interesting point; are you saying that some/ all new Motorhomes come with preinstalled wiring?

I’m considering installing panels on my new(ish) Chausson rather than getting the dealer to install. Having preinstalled wiring would obviously make it easier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Just an observation but “space/supply issues” is a bit vague you know it’s wise to get as much Solar as possible some dealers will simply go with convenience have you asked on here what Solar others have with same MH. Just suggesting I had a similar issue and when I got it home I managed to put another 2 x 80 panels on.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just an observation but “space/supply issues” is a bit vague you know it’s wise to get as much Solar as possible some dealers will simply go with convenience have you asked on here what Solar others have with same MH. Just suggesting I had a similar issue and when I got it home I managed to put another 2 x 80 panels on.
Oops, forgot about this thread! :RollEyes: I updated my 'oh heck' thread but not this one.

We got a call from the dealer's workshop technician a couple of days ago who said they couldn't fit a single solar (150w or 140w) panel on the rear, only on the front which will cause wind noise issues so they 'suggested' we have 2 x 100w on the rear instead ... which is exactly what we wanted in the first place so that's what we're now having. :Grin:

Hopefully this will be more than sufficient for our needs and if not I'll just fit more if needs be.

I've never heard/seen this solar controller before though, hence this thread.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Interesting point; are you saying that some/ all new Motorhomes come with preinstalled wiring?
Hymer's and Carthago's do.
In Carthago A Class cables will be up behind one of the roof lockers and will run down to under the dash. From under the dash another pair of cables will run in the double floor to near the batteries. The two sets of cables are not connected.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
My mh is 11 years old and has preinstalled wiring. I didnt use it though as wires too thin for my 4 panels.

This is an interesting observation because it appears to me that nothing has changed, I’ve only ever fitted Victron Solar Panels latterly the new Black Monocrystalline which is prewired with 3/4mm wire,however,when connecting to the MH prewire which appears to be normal automotive wire of 2mm, this has been on N+B and Concorde MH’s.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Oops, forgot about this thread! :RollEyes: I updated my 'oh heck' thread but not this one.

We got a call from the dealer's workshop technician a couple of days ago who said they couldn't fit a single solar (150w or 140w) panel on the rear, only on the front which will cause wind noise issues so they 'suggested' we have 2 x 100w on the rear instead ... which is exactly what we wanted in the first place so that's what we're now having. :Grin:

Hopefully this will be more than sufficient for our needs and if not I'll just fit more if needs be.

I've never heard/seen this solar controller before though, hence this thread.

Just a thought for the future,do consider the Flat Solars that are stuck on with Adhesive they are quite brilliant and obviously no wind noise,available with 10 Year warranty.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Malibu's are generally Pre-wired but all that means is they pre-wire from the leisure battery under the cab seat to under the fridge.
Pre-wired means partially wired. I am an ex-tech GMC Technician.
I also have the SUN charge controller that I will be fitting to My own van.

I have the remote display.
MAX 150W solar input + MAX 150W solar input and an engine battery charge output { Dual controller }

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
This is an interesting observation because it appears to me that nothing has changed, I’ve only ever fitted Victron Solar Panels latterly the new Black Monocrystalline which is prewired with 3/4mm wire,however,when connecting to the MH prewire which appears to be normal automotive wire of 2mm, this has been on N+B and Concorde MH’s.
Hymer currently pressure with 4mm sq cable, Carthago with 6mm sq.
2mm sq auto cable will be less than 1.5mn sq real cable as on auto cables go by the external dia., including insulation.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
My 255watt solar panel the size of a reasonable size door, covers the rear skylight, as we have big windows it’s not an issue.
I just lift the panel when on site.
I fitted 6mm cables from the panel to the controller

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Broken Link Removed, my 2019 Chausson 530 (Welcome VIP Premium spec') is pre-wired for solar, even has the cable gland box fitted on the roof. The solar pre-wiring is located behind a removable screwed cover in the top of the cupboard above the hob.

Have a look and maybe yours will be the same.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Meanwhile back to the OP ... has anyone actually USED one of the controllers I mentioned?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Judging by the answers I would say no. I would get what you know works fitted even if you have to give the dealer a few quid to stop him wining.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Judging by the answers I would say no. I would get what you know works fitted even if you have to give the dealer a few quid to stop him wining.
whining? or winning? :unsure:

As they sell Carthagos and do solar panel installs at a fair cost I assume the controller is up to the job so will see how we get on with it first. It may well be that people simply haven't heard of it hence why it's not been as they go for the usual Victron or Votronic ones.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Or get panels fitted by an expert later on, wish I had as dealer put them on the only spot where a sat dish would fit after me asking them to leave space for sat.
Ended up taking them off within 30 days for a full refund- got odd looks walking into service dept with a panel under each arm!
They also charged for a dual bat regulator and fitted a single so that also came off.
Then got them fitted properly but lots of effort and grief.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I’d have replied to your original query, Mel, but I have no expertise whatsoever in van electrics, so can’t really speak with knowledge. But we do have that controller with our 150w panel, and it seems fine. Doesn’t give you much information but appears to work. Fitted by GMC on our CTourer T150 when we bought it nearly 2 years ago.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
whining? or winning? :unsure:

As they sell Carthagos and do solar panel installs at a fair cost I assume the controller is up to the job so will see how we get on with it first. It may well be that people simply haven't heard of it hence why it's not been as they go for the usual Victron or Votronic ones.
My mates last Carthago, I was going to fit the panel for him but he decided as it was a new van he would get the dealer to do it.
I've never seen such a bodge. Stuck the 100w panel on the roof Sika 20 mm thick one side 5 mm the other. Didn't use the pre installed 6 mm sq cables used 1.5 mm sq mains cable & fitted a 5 quid controller all for £500 that was after he haggled a deal. :eek:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My mates last Carthago, I was going to fit the panel for him but he decided as it was a new van he would get the dealer to do it.
I've never seen such a bodge. Stuck the 100w panel on the roof Sika 20 mm thick one side 5 mm the other. Didn't use the pre installed 6 mm sq cables used 1.5 mm sq mains cable & fitted a 5 quid controller all for £500 that was after he haggled a deal. :eek:
I need to climb up the ladder to the roof and check on ours but I think they have been installed correctly as the fitter contacted us a couple of times about it and we definitely have the controller I showed in the OP and it already had wiring for solar from Carthago.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
But did he use it?
I can't see why not ... seems stupid not to ... when it's not raining I'll have to have a shuftie.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Meanwhile back to the OP ... has anyone actually USED one of the controllers I mentioned?
No, I have a Votronic MPP controller and rate it highly, but I do have two NDS solar panels and am very happy with them. I believe NDS have a good reputation. RoadPro are the UK distributor I believe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back