Anyone have any thoughts on TEC Rotec T5850 (1 Viewer)

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Hi everyone,

Well I'm sure you'll all be glad to hear we made it to Manchester from Australia in one piece, spent Xmas and New Year with the relo's, chased aurora's through Scotland (unsuccessfully), holidayed in Wales for a time, and are now getting ready to purchase our motorhome.

We have our list of what we want (at one point seemingly ever changing, but setting down now) and been scouring as many MH yards as we can find getting a feel for features / sizes etc as well as diligently searching around online sales sites.

So with all that said and done we have spotted a layout that looks like us, if at the upper end of our budget, in Germany.

Here is a link if you would like to check it out, for as long as it's available:

I've searched around on the TEC Rotec's and from the little I could find on them they seem a reasonable enough build quality to warrant closer inspection, wherin lies the problem. While I'm not against travelling to Germany to check it out, assuming I can't find a similar offer any closer, I think it's a little bit frivolous with our limited finances so I'm wondering if there is anyone in Germany I could encourage to assist me with a visual inspection? I'd happily re-imburse expenses/petrol/beer money etc as it would be lots cheaper than me making the trip. Please PM me if you're interested.

Failing that does anyone have any opinions on the Rotec's in general or this particular vehicle in general or the dealership?

Any and all advice is welcome.

Also, if anyone is in the Manchester area and want to catch-up sometime for a drink/chat/whatever just let us know, we're on holidays and are sure to be able to accomodate something :beer:

Cheers,
Mark and De'ana

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I changed to a Tec Freetec (similar layout but slightly longer) in November the build quality is very good...part of the hymer group I have been told.
To date I am very pleased with it.
Good luck:Smile:

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Transit Coachbuilt
Exp
Well travelled ex tugger.
Hi I also have a TECFreeTec . I've had it for just over a year and I'm presently in Morocco with the van. Very strong build and I'm very happy with it. Build and layout are the same as Geist, so if you can't find a TEC check out Geist.

Dai

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
Hi I also have a TECFreeTec . I've had it for just over a year and I'm presently in Morocco with the van. Very strong build and I'm very happy with it. Build and layout are the same as Geist, so if you can't find a TEC check out Geist.

Dai

As Daiboy says they are the same as Geist and Also LMC, same vehicles different brand names, camper uk and camper ne are the dealers for them and usually have a decent stock so you can have a look at them before you decide. we are very pleased with ours. happy hunting :thumb:

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
We have a Geist after researching a TEC thank was sold before we closed the deal. They are manufactured by LMC which is a Hymer group company. They seem well assembled and have quality fittings. We have only been owners for a few months but are so far pleased with the MH.

Upvote 0

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
One slight caveat re build quality. We had a very close look at a Tec when we were buying our second van. We ended up with our LMC principally because the build quality of the cupboards, kitchen and other parts of the habitation on the competing Tec was not as good.

Don't know if the Tec / Rotec is actually a slightly bargain version of Geist / LMC, but it looked that way.

Having said that, the Tec was massively better quality than a lot of the other vans we looked at.

Dave

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
As Daiboy says they are the same as Geist and Also LMC, same vehicles different brand names, camper uk and camper ne are the dealers for them and usually have a decent stock so you can have a look at them before you decide. we are very pleased with ours. happy hunting :thumb:

Your prayers are answered, you wont find a better supplier than them:thumb:

Peter

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
We have a TEC Rotec Lift 652 and after owning it for about 6 months we are very happy with it. It is our first MH, so have nothing to compare it against other than the models we looked at before our purchase. It does seem very strong to date though and well put together.

You should be aware that the TEC brand is now no longer made, they are all sold as LMC now (Broken Link Removed).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thraxugrut

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Thanks for the replies all !!

I've been doing further research, and been in contact with snowbird regarding the problems I might face and have come across my first major hurdle.

Downunder insurance will not insure a vehicle based on the VIN, they will only ensure UK plated vehicles.

Given that I've only been in the UK a month, and intend to travel abroad for 10 months out of the next year I'm not sure I have many insurance options available to me, perhaps get a UK dealer to broker the deal for a fee, which would erode any cost savings I might have enjoyed.

How long does it take to MOT/get plates if I try and push it through? Perhaps I can leave it garaged somewhere and piggy back off the garages' insurance for theft/damage until it is plated?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm goign to ring around insurance companies to see what can happen.

I guess otherwise I can try and get my relatives to purchase the vehicle and they can insure it, mot it plate it then sell it to me. Seems a bit longwinded and more effort on their part than I was hoping to put them through.

ohh well. off to do some ringing around :)

Regards,
Mark

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thraxugrut

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
well had some good news (I think) today when I found out that due to my being a british citizen I don't have to wait 187 days to be considered a resident by the DVLA.

I can just hand in my aussie license now with a $50 transfer fee and get my UK license to go with my UK passport.

will then register with the local GP and get my NHS number.

Will then ring around insurance companies pleading my case about residency.

here's hoping, but considering the lack of luck by people trying this sort of thing in the past I'm keeping my hopes well in check :)

Cheers,
Mark

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Good to hear you are getting sorted Mark. Stick with it and am sure you will get there in the end. Bye the way, a good choice of van at a reasonable price :thumb:.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thraxugrut

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Thanks snowbird.

Big caravan/motorhome show here in manchester over the weekend so should be a lot of part-ex'd motorhomes being traded in on shiney bright ones.

So maybe there will be a glut in the market that I can exploit. Will shop around the dealers at the show and let them knowwhat I'm looking for. might get lucky and bypass all the fun of importing.

Here's hoping anyhow.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thraxugrut

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Another update, today I received my UK driving license. Unfortunately I do not have C1, so I am limited to 3500kg, which I guess helps my refine the motorhome search criteria.

Also unfortunately I have lost my open motorbike license (unlimited CC motorbike) that I had on my australian license. I'm going to enquire about that as I've been riding bikes for years and would like to retain that.

Anyhow, after talking with a number of insurance companies at the caravan and motorhome show I'm encouraged to try and shop around for a better insurance deal.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back