Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,

I collected Airmiles for many years and never used them. I received a letter this week telling me I had 3062 Airmiles but that if I did not use them, or start saving again, I would lose them.

I emailed Airmiles and asked if I could use them on the Ferry or Channel tunnel, as they convert Tesco vouchers into Airmiles. I was pleasantly surprised when told we could book a ferry - albeit only P and O or Brittany - and have spent 2,500 airmiles (£150).

So in effect we have used something I thought was worthless and finished for our next trip to France!

Thought this information might be useful to someone else with lots of unused airmiles!

Ginny

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for that. I've got about 9500 of them and never used them because they aren't good value - every time I wanted to book something like a weekend away they always seemed to want a lot of money as well. Got them with Natwest MC.

Looks like I'll have to convert them to something - I'll have a look when I get home.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for that. I've got about 9500 of them and never used them because they aren't good value - every time I wanted to book something like a weekend away they always seemed to want a lot of money as well. Got them with Natwest MC.

Looks like I'll have to convert them to something - I'll have a look when I get home.

Hi, I collected mine with Nat West master card as well, but when they stopped giving Airmiles I never bothered collecting them.

With 9500, you will be able to book over £510 in ferry costs, the only slight snag is that if you have not contributed any airmiles for the last 12 months they charge you a £30 fee for booking.

Ginny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I have about 5000 airmiles mainly collected with Natwest but also with the ShellCard so you can still collect them when you fill up.
Regards, Dave:thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks for the info

I've got some but not many. When we started visiting the states the bank gave us a American Express Card which has no annual charge and no cost if you pay off monthly and it amasses Airmiles. Great I thought something for nothing off the bank. Just one problem in 6 months in America I've only managed to use it twice as nobody accepts it apparently it costs them a fortune. Knew it was too good to be true.

Myfanwy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Cheddar Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
nine years
Hi, we had loads of airmiles and used them last October for our ferry crossing from Poole to Cherbourg. Just cost us the £30 admin fee because they had been dormant for such a long time. I was told that when we go back in June just resurrect the account by buying something in Tescos. We shall be visiting the shop and save ourselves the admin fee for next winters crossing. We are in Almeria at the moment with loads of other snowbirds. The Roquetas campsite is quite full this year.:Cool::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

homenaway

Free Member
Nov 16, 2008
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
12+
Hi,

We tried to book a P & O Calais - Dover oneway crossing as we found we had about 1500 old Air Miles and it would have been 500 air miles (= £33) and as stated earlier a £30 charge to reactivate the dormant account. :Sad:
We booked it through the C&CC for £29 (+ £2 fuel surcharge - what a con that is)

I'm due a Homebase Spend and save card statement soon and will try to convert the points to Airmiles as I was told that should reactivate the account - then try to spend them but there isn't much on offer other than (non) cheap flights and hotels

Steve
motorhome and away

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back