Anyone have an Elddis 175 (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are on our eighth motorhome over about 40 years. We have had a generally good experience with all but one of them.

We currently have a Marquis Majestic 125, (an Elddis Accordo with a few dealer extras). We are very pleased with it but have had a couple of problems.

1. Elddis cut the flexible hose from the fresh water filler to to the tank too short to connect properly causing a leak. Careless on building but corrected easily, by the dealer, under warranty.

2. The rear view camera was found to be faulty on PDI. A new one was ordered and fitted but also failed. The replacement will be fitted in ten days time. That is an equipment failure.

To sum up.......

The layout is exactly what we wanted.

General build quality is pretty good. Everything seems well screwed together. (Except for that pipe).

We deliberately went for ā€œsimpleā€. ie manual switchover of fridge after numerous problems with so called automatic switch over units.

Everything works as it should, every time.

There are a few more rattles than I would like but we are working on them.

Itā€™s true that you can buy better, (for that read more expensive), units but you get a lot for your money with Elddis.

On the Forum you can read about ā€œbetterā€ motorhomes, Hymer with ā€œexploding headlights at Ā£1.5k each and water leaks becoming more prevalent on recent models. Rapido (?) with Ā£1.5k for a plastic strip.

Every manufacturer has problems with individual units as they are built by humans and humans are fallible. It is a fact of human nature that people who have bought a bad one will shout loudly. Those who have had a good one tend not to say anything.

I would certainly consider another Elddis if the need arises.

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
Hi we have 175 we have had it nearly.7 years, love it not changing it.
Ok lots of add-ons, these are for our pleasure.
As my wife would say it's your hobby.
I suppose we have been lucky/ or unlucky šŸ˜ to have met two on your( Paul), who has helped me/us so much.
Same vehicle as us.
We haven't had any problems.
Now a Swift caravan that's another story ā˜¹ļø.
Give it a good check as with anything you buy.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Every manufacturer has problems with individual units as they are built by humans and humans are fallible. It is a fact of human nature that people who have bought a bad one will shout loudly. Those who have had a good one tend not to say anything.

Maybe so, but when they are designed and built as awfully as mine was there is clearly a huge amount of fallibility in all areas of the factory. The list of significant faults within the first month of use was staggering, and some of them were very serious. Would you feel safe in a van where a 5ft chunk of plywood falls off the ceiling after the first week of use for instance?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Maybe so, but when they are designed and built as awfully as mine was there is clearly a huge amount of fallibility in all areas of the factory. The list of significant faults within the first month of use was staggering, and some of them were very serious. Would you feel safe in a van where a 5ft chunk of plywood falls off the ceiling after the first week of use for instance?
No, I certainly wouldnā€™t but you seem to have been very unlucky with the particular one you had and you clearly had a bad experience.

I always wanted an Autosleeper during my early years of motorhoming as they were regarded as good quality. When we finally bought one, brand new, we had five internal gas leaks in fifteen months, and lost confidence in it. We traded it in.

As a result I would not buy another Autosleeper but accept that my experience has made me biased against them. Many people have Autosleepers and are happy.

You only have to read the threads on here to realise that many of the ā€œqualityā€ (for that read read expensive) marques also have problems. When they do, repairs can be eye wateringly expensive.

My Elddis is not at the top end of the market by a long say but not everyone can afford to buy Ā£80k+ motorhomes and some, like me, prefer to keep utility systems simple rather than pay for problematic electronics, speaking from personal experience of repetitive error codes.

As a result I feel that my Elddis is good value for money. It has had its faults as I have outlined previously but, to date, I am very happy with it. I am sorry that yours was a cause of such problems.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
No, I certainly wouldnā€™t but you seem to have been very unlucky with the particular one you had and you clearly had a bad experience.

OK, so I was unlucky and just had a bad one. Explain this then, whilst we were waiting for the solicitor to put a bomb under the dealer so we could get our money back, we decided to go to the NEC to look at motorhomes. We spent 2 days there, and having convinced ourselves our choice was the best for us, we wandered onto the Elddis stand. Out of curiosity I had a look in the same model demonstrator as ours, but a year newer, and even on this brand new van you could see the microwave cupboard was parting with the wall just as ours did. They had "improved" :rofl:the mounting of the chunk of plywood round the stargazer light by fitting extra screws and covering them with screw caps. Lunar used the same rooflight but had a much neater plastic trim round. Our caravan had a very weak roof which was collapsing under its own weight. In a month from new it had dropped 2cm in the middle so water pooled on the roof and was in danger of coming over the rooflight and into the van over the bed. On the display model, I could push the roof physically up with just one hand. It was as weak as my caravan.

Was it me who was just unlucky, or was it down to shocking build quality? Perhaps I was being too picky, and I should just accept such a standard as being fine on a Ā£20k+ 2 berth caravan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
OK, so I was unlucky and just had a bad one. Explain this then, whilst we were waiting for the solicitor to put a bomb under the dealer so we could get our money back, we decided to go to the NEC to look at motorhomes. We spent 2 days there, and having convinced ourselves our choice was the best for us, we wandered onto the Elddis stand. Out of curiosity I had a look in the same model demonstrator as ours, but a year newer, and even on this brand new van you could see the microwave cupboard was parting with the wall just as ours did. They had "improved" :rofl:the mounting of the chunk of plywood round the stargazer light by fitting extra screws and covering them with screw caps. Lunar used the same rooflight but had a much neater plastic trim round. Our caravan had a very weak roof which was collapsing under its own weight. In a month from new it had dropped 2cm in the middle so water pooled on the roof and was in danger of coming over the rooflight and into the van over the bed. On the display model, I could push the roof physically up with just one hand. It was as weak as my caravan.

Was it me who was just unlucky, or was it down to shocking build quality? Perhaps I was being too picky, and I should just accept such a standard as being fine on a Ā£20k+ 2 berth caravan.
You have a clearly entrenched opinion which is opposite to many on here. There is no point in prolonging the discussion as it will just go round and around.

Stay safe in this difficult time.

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Wheel arches not sealed

alerted by your comment I asked our dealer to investigate during the vanā€™s service. They do not appear to have done so. I can see light through a gap at the bottom of the wardrobe. I wondered about filling the void with expanding foam. Might this prove to be a mistake?

Last edited:

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Zero issues with both the Elddis models ( 145 & 195 ) we have owned since Feb' 2016, apart from a blown heated mirror fuse on the 145 & a misting rear shock absorber on the 195.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
alerted by your comment I asked our dealer to investigate during the vanā€™s service. They do not appear to have done so. I can see light through a gap at the bottom of the wardrobe. I wondered about filling the void with expanding foam. Might this prove to be a mistake?
There is a gas drop out in our wardrobe, could it be that? You can see light through it.

You'd have to get underneath and look to check the wheel arches, it's where the black plastic wheel liner joins the floor. Even if not sealed you won't see light through it šŸ¤” even Elddis aren't that bad šŸ¤£

tommac

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
sold
Exp
Absolute NEWBIE
Just got back from our latest trip in our 175 Evolution(Brownhills version ). Saw 4 others the same on site.

Motorhome snobbery apart I think its a great MH for the price. Nice and easy to drive and the 2 dogs love it.
So far the only thing i`d change is the noisy water pump.

We looked at quite a few different makes when we were buying and to be honest , for the money, the quality is shocking on most of them. To be fair if we had upped the budget considerably then it might be a different story ( not prepared to pay more for 2 big dogs to mess up) but some prices are just insane. ( new Jag F type is cheaper --LOL) We also had 3 Elddis caravans before this and they were all fine as well.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
tommac
We have had a 125 since last December. We are very pleased with it, and we have had seven others before it over about 40 years.

Iā€™m sure you will get just as much pleasure from it as from any other, (and have some change in your pocket to spend). (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back