Anyone have a folding bike (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I was thinking of getting a couple of folding bikes for me and the boss.

We've saved-up LOTS of points on the American Express card over the years and one of the gifts you can get using the points is Raleigh Boardwalk.

<Broken link removed>

I know they don't exactly look like boy racer bikes, but me and the boss are not exactly going to be hitting the high speeds on them.

Does anyone have these bikes, or folding bikes in general? Are they any good?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Someone in Chat last night had a pair of folding bikes for sale. I think it was Canopus, give him a shout or pop into chat tonight around 10pm he should be there then, or at least someone will remember who had them for sale.

S

stagman

Deleted User

I bought a pair of Dahon folding bikes once put together they are like full size bikes with 26" wheels and 24 gears brilliant . :thumb:[/QUOTE]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I was thinking of getting a couple of folding bikes for me and the boss.

We've saved-up LOTS of points on the American Express card over the years and one of the gifts you can get using the points is Raleigh Boardwalk.

<Broken link removed>

I know they don't exactly look like boy racer bikes, but me and the boss are not exactly going to be hitting the high speeds on them.

We have a folding bike that came with our mh when we bought it; we have never used it nor even taken it away with us.
The beauty of a mh is to be able to park up and put the kettle on; we found the folding bike just got in the way and also was difficult to man handle into the habitation area.
If we had a garage in our mh then it would fit in there, then again so would a non folding bike, so no need for the extra expense of buying extra bikes.
We have thought of a bike rack for the back of our mh, but as we off site camp we were concerened about security when we were away from our mh and the bikes did not go with us.
Just our thoughts, which I know will not be shared by everyone but as you asked for comments I thought I would share with you. If bikes folding or otherwise work for you go for it, there can be no doubt they are an inexpensive and very green mode of transport.

Norman

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Yes we have a couple of Dahons for sale. Both are immaculate and will go for fraction of the price new

Link Removed

Link Removed

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I bought a pair of Dahon folding bikes once put together they are like full size bikes with 26" wheels and 24 gears brilliant . :thumb:
[/QUOTE]

They look really nice. I like the idea of the full size wheels.

I'll have to measure our garage to see just what we can fit in. I think with folding bikes we should be fine. I can't get my full size bike in, which is a shame.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Watch the leg size though, it can be an issue. Mine are a tad short and Pete's are a tad long for our folders. I can't really get going and hone my skills which are exceedigly shaky - only go 100 yards and all me clothing has gone where the sun don't shine plus my lady parts feel crushed. I can't easily put one foot down whilst actually sitting on the saddle, can stop fine - but then just fall over.

I hate the thing, frankly.

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
I can strongly reccommend the Dahon folders, we bought 2 for use in the motorhome, easily put together and a joy to ride. Dont take up too much space either.:thumb:
Here's me modelling one in Avignon:Broken Link Removed
Geoff.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi.

I have the AS Bikes folding electric bike which I have used for about 2.5 years and it works well. The folding aspect of any bike does not seem to be a problem and if it suits your storage area better it is the way to go. The only thing which affects performance is the size of the wheels, the smaller the more difficult to pedal. I use the electric aspects on my bike to overcome this.

Mike

S

stagman

Deleted User

They look really nice. I like the idea of the full size wheels.

I'll have to measure our garage to see just what we can fit in. I think with folding bikes we should be fine. I can't get my full size bike in, which is a shame.[/QUOTE]

You can also get storage bags for them which is handy keeps them clean ,and stops them getting scratched also the bikes have very light alloy frame which makes them a joy to ride ,you sometimes see them on ebay but they do hold their value pretty well :thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
A cheap, and seemingly very reliable, courier service if you need bikes delivered to you, is Parcels Please. Lots of ex pats here use them to have items sent out (from small boxes to sofas). I checked them out for a bike to be brought out here--ÂŁ14 door to door.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We had a couple of Raleigh Eclipse folding bikes but had very little use out of them for a couple of reasons. We replaced them with AS folders mentioned by Mike in July 2010 and find them fine.

With the other van I used to fold them and put them in bags for transportation in the dinette area (using the seat belts to keep them in place. Our current van has a bike rack, though, so we will use that in future.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We have a couple of Dahon folding bikes. We have had them for about 5 years and they are very good. 20in wheels - not full size but not so small as to be a problem - and 7 speed gears.

They will fit in a car boot and travel in our garage in the MH, which has plenty of room. That said, I think you would struggle with them in the storage space in some vans, we have seen french bed models with tiny outside doors that would not take the folding bikes, and if you are forced to have a bike rack anyway you may as well have full size bikes.

Personally I have always been a bit against bike racks, they are not as secure and add to the van length, and looking at how dirty the rear of our van gets sometimes I would not like that to happen to the bikes in transit. But I guess sometimes they are necessary.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Watch the leg size though, it can be an issue. Mine are a tad short and Pete's are a tad long for our folders. I can't really get going and hone my skills which are exceedigly shaky - only go 100 yards and all me clothing has gone where the sun don't shine plus my lady parts feel crushed. I can't easily put one foot down whilst actually sitting on the saddle, can stop fine - but then just fall over.

I hate the thing, frankly.

That made me laugh as you sound exactly like my wife. She says pretty much what you've said every time she gets on a bike :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back