Anyone had problems with Nationwide CC this year in France. (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've been using a Nationwide Credit Card for years never had any problems with it apart from the odd Aire not accepting it.
On this trip no Carrefour anywhere will accept it and an Auchan filling station wouldn't either& Decathlon.
Used the same card in a Carrefour in March without a problem.
I phoned Nationwide they said no problem with the card, did offer to send a new card but not much help until we get home.
I wonder if Carrefour & Auchan have updated their systems and my card is a couple of years old, will get a new one when I get home & hope it works on next trip.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We were sent new cards not that long ago although the existing ones hadn't expired and weren't due to do so, still don't know why as we didn't request them either, this did cause us a bit of 'grief' at Eurotunnel though as I'd used my original card to pay for the crossings so it wouldn't accept the new card even though everything on it appeared to be the same as the old one.

I wonder if there is a 'new' one sitting at home for you?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just another thought ... have you tried to use it in an ATM to see if it is accepted (you don't need to actually draw any money out)? It could be that your card has gone faulty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just another thought ... have you tried to use it in an ATM to see if it is accepted (you don't need to actually draw any money out)? It could be that your card has gone faulty.
Been using it everywhere else without a problem apart from Decathlon forgot to mention that in original post(edited).
Works fine in Lidi & Aldi and independent shops.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Been using it everywhere else without a problem apart from Decathlon forgot to mention that in original post(edited).
Works fine in Lidi & Aldi and independent shops.
Muppet :D

Perhaps they have 'black-listed' you :LOL:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Removed as not the card i thought

Last edited:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not been to France this year so don't know if our cards would be OK but we certainly haven't had new ones recently so don't know if they are sending them out to everyone at the moment.

Denise

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
We had no problems in France and Spain from Jan to end of march this year. Used it in Decathlon and Carrefour and many other places.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
In Carrefour?
How new is your card?
Scrap that as just checked card and it was my vigrinmbna that was replaced not Nationwide. Sorry about that, my nationwide card is still the old one and not due to be replaced till end of the year. I will amend the post above

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Lenny - from the replies it's looking like it might be your card that is the problem rather than Nationwide CC not being accepted!

Denise

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We had the same problem as Mindy girl. Nationwide changed our cards without telling us, then told us we could not look at any previous statements as our new cards had a different card number. We were on our way to France and it caused us a lot of problems. We have been with nationwide for years and have never had a problem using cards in France. I got no sense out of them at all, and no reply to my last emails, so I am closing my account.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We had no problems in France and Spain from Jan to end of march this year. Used it in Decathlon and Carrefour and many other places.
As I said it worked fine in March just this month.
Not a faulty card as I said works everywhere else.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Not with that card but, suddenly, our Tesco MasterCard has stopped being accepted in filling station automatic machines belonging to Auchan group, including ATAC.

Never had the problem before and the same card worked OK 3 weeks ago in their machines. Tesco say no problem with card and it has worked elsewhere.

Can manage with other cards but will regret the loss of points for our next Tunnel crossing.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We are in Scandinavia and both using our Nationwide cards without any problem.

I have probably put the kiss of death on them now !

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Sounds like the French are updating their software.
I wouldn't use my tesco card abroad the charges and exchange rate they give are from the dark ages and since they reduced the point to 1 for 8 quid spent not worth it for the points.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back