Anyone had dealings with Chelston's of Wellington, Somerset? (1 Viewer)

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
We are interested in buying one of their motorhomes.... should we?
There are mixed reviews for them on Google??
All feed back would be helpful. Thank you :)

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We're going to buy an auto trail tracker some time ago from them as previously bought an auto trail cheyanne.
Got the same model and extras from Brownhills for £2000 less from John Baker in sales, we part exchanged it for a Frankia though

OP
OP
TerriSpirit

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
Thanks for replying. This one is used and it is the only one I can find that has our requirements. Bit nerve raking though as so much money! (n) x

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Bought our first motorhome from them. Good service , but we realised later that they are pricey. We should have bargained harder....so be sure you do!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I Know most of the guys there as its local to me - I have bought a couple of caravans in the past and have always had good service and excellent warranty. I have heard a lot more positives than negatives about them lately but like all things you seldom hear people shouting about good service only about bad service.. I do remember one day I went in their service department at about 4.30pm to listen to a customer berating the poor lady behind the counter about a list of 'faults' he wanted sorting 'there and then' as he was not satisfied with his van. He went through the list. The new smell was giving him a headache, the fire extinguisher rattled, a door squeaked etc.. a long list of similar petty claims. He was rightly told that all the techies were completing the days work and knocked off at 5 pm BUT if he would like to have a free parking overnight with EHU at the main depot they would get the jobs sorted first thing next day. The guy went Incandescent with rage and stormed out declaring never to buy from them again. I then found out he had only collected the vehicle a few days before brand new. I am sure that man would go off blackening their name at every opportunity .

Prices I cannot help with but I am sure if you get a few other prices then challenge their price you may well find they will help don't forget there are options not only of price reduction but also trade in price increase or even free goods and servicing as options !!

Reactions: f6c

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We bought our first and hopefully our last from Chelston.
The first one was a trigano tribute in 2005 and the last one was an autotrail In July last year..
I haven't had to use their after sales for service as the autotrail didn't need to go back and the tribute we I just keep for a year Before we traded it I. With someone else.
We stayed overnight on handover and all the staff were helpful and friendly.They have a well stocked shop with reasonable prices and they do an open. Day every few months with free burgers and drinks and camping for 3 days for £3 a day. What's not to like.

OP
OP
TerriSpirit

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
We are buying a used one and the price seems reasonable considering its a dealer. They were helpful on the phone as we have had to do the deal over the phone living 4 hours away! They have said our deposit will be refundable if we don't like it when we get there. Fingers crossed we don't need after sales service.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We are buying a used one and the price seems reasonable considering its a dealer. They were helpful on the phone as we have had to do the deal over the phone living 4 hours away! They have said our deposit will be refundable if we don't like it when we get there. Fingers crossed we don't need after sales service.
This is what we did with them when we were looking for our 1st van in 2014. We didn't like it when we got there. They spent ages with us, going through all the others they had for sale. Really patient.

They refunded the deposit, no problem. If they had a van I wanted I'd be happy to buy from them and they are a similar distance away from me.

Best of luck.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We had our C class from them, an ex-demonstrator. We had a good introduction to the van and a thorough test drive. They gave us 3 nights at a lovely local campsite for a shakedown trip - we only used one at the time as there was a problem with the electrics so we were back at the depot the next morning, when they had a new Sargent box couriered in and fixed. We had the extra nights on a subsequent visit. There were a few after-purchase niggles - aren't there always - but we found their after-sales very good. They are authorised to carry out fixes for many motorhome manufacturers (this saved us a recall visit to the manufacturer who wanted the van for 6 weeks!!! - Chelston wanted it for 2 days; we used it overnight on their EHU & had a couple of good days out in Taunton, easy by bus) and they are a Fiat Professional service centre. We had a problem with the hab door which we needed fixing pretty much straight away but they couldn't fit us in for some time; after the manufacturer had faffed around for a bit, and after a bit of persuading (don't take no for an answer!) Chelston again couriered the part to an authorised service centre near our home for them to fix that day under the warranty.
If they had what I wanted, and if I wasn't now living nearly 650 miles away, I'd be happy to buy from them again.

OP
OP
TerriSpirit

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
Thank you everyone for your great feed back! You really are an amazing group of people who have really helped us on our journey of buying our first motorhome.
Fingers crossed it all goes to plan. I look forward to sharing our trip experiences and maybe meeting up with some of you at a rally or two. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back