Anyone had damp problems on their newer "Solid" motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Hi all,

Looking for newish motorhome and much prefer British layout with decent cooking facilities and comfy lounges.

Tempted by 155 or 255 with parallel lounge and handy extra belted seats that would mean we could take grand kids with us when brave enough.

Otherwise we like several of the Autotrails but reading the posts on Fun, so many are about damp issues compared with none on the Elddis section.

Are you just keeping quiet or is it generally not a big problem.

Would appreciate your feedback as even a two year old Moho is a lot of money.

Paul

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We're on our 2nd Elddis now, neither have had any water ingress issues, Ist Moho was a 2010 145 & although not built with solid construction was watertight & I fully expect the 2015 195 to be the same.

Last edited:

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
2016 155 owner
First damp check in may all OK
Last mh was elddis 10 yr old no damp issues either

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Our Encore 265 is now over three years old and has no damp issues - recently tested when we briefly considered trading it in. Did have a leak from one of the roof vents but re-sealed by the dealer and all good now.

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Sounds encouraging compared with the re - named "Water-Trails" LoL

thank you, for all your comments and would be interested to here anymore feedback.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We had an Autosleeper, bought new and sold at just three years old. The garage we sold it to tested it for damp, none was found. The mechanic even said he didn't know why he had to do this, it's very rare to find a damp Autosleeper......not like the other vans he services, and pointed to a row of Autotrails.....

Dec 16, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New
We have a two year old 155.On it's second habitation check there was slight ingress at the bottom right corner of the bedroom window.The engineer said to keep an eye on it as it read "18".On a subsequent journey found water pouring down the inside of the same window.On examining the hinges,one part had straighted out from a " C " shape allowing water to turn van side instead of away from the body wall.A stripp of Duct tape has sealed the problem and is going to Glossop Caravans foer warrenty work
When are you thinking of buying?

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We had an Autosleeper, bought new and sold at just three years old. The garage we sold it to tested it for damp, none was found. The mechanic even said he didn't know why he had to do this, it's very rare to find a damp Autosleeper......not like the other vans he services, and pointed to a row of Autotrails.....

Looking on the Auto Sleeper forum a few Broadway's and Neuvos have damp caused by faulty fridge vents.

John.

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
Sorry to hear about your dodgy window. Sometime between now and next Summer depending on when the best deals are. Seem to be a few 2017 155's that may be discounted over the next few months but we will have to see.

How do you get on with the heating in yours, I was surprised to see no heating air vents towards front lounge in fact they are all off the bed box.

Does your front lounge get cold in the winter?

Paul

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our 3 year old Elddis accordo is dry, mind you it's garaged in England, in sunny Spain when on holiday but it does sometimes get rained on in France.

Dide46

Free Member
May 3, 2017
County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We had an Autoquest 180 with the solid construction with a small area of damp where the floor joined the back of the van this was picked up on its second service. Got it repaired under warranty however we have got rid of the van since then. If I'm honest the reading was a very small section on the seam but I was disappointed to have a damp issues after 24 months of use, to be fair the dealer sorted it out straight away.

We now have a new Bailey 75-2 another British van for the same reason as you stated Im really not that keen of the foreign van layout the British vans are more suited for our needs.

I think there is good and bad vans off all manufacturers just some more than others. My friend had a Hymer from new which was he got rid after a few months due to issues for another Hymer and that was fine.

Dec 16, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New
Heating ,we find is fine.Very rare to have to put output onto max and have hardly used the electric/gas combo which shoves out a lot of heat.
We have the reflective shades on the cab windows and then pull the thick curtains round making the front part of the van very cosy
We "maybe " interested in selling ours. (Two years old April 2015,13000 miles quite a few extras-Fiamma awning,bike rack,winterised tanks).Just after we bought the van,we became grandparents,twice.The 155 is not an infant friendly layout even with an awning.My son tells me his two year old was put to bed in the double bed quite happily.They then went to wind down in the awning.They then heard "click,click,click" He'd found the gas igniter button.So we might be moving to a six berth with over cab bunks or back to towing.Everything can change over the next few months.Currently in a very wet Croatia

stapleford50

Free Member
Jul 31, 2016
stapleford, nottingham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 180
Exp
since 2016 but caravaned before that
Hi we have a 2016 AutoQuest 180 at 1st Habitation check damp was found under overcab window reading 30 on damp meter. This has been fixed under warranty, by our dealer. Will be keeping a watch on this on next habitation check next March, apart from that nothing to complain about.
Andrew

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Paul,

The only problem with the Elddis SoLiD construction system is that it sounds very posh and upmarket but in reality it's just a bit of bonded wood - and hear lies the problem.

I can't say if one brand is more prone to water ingress issues than an other but I would personally avoid anything with a wooden frame.

All the best,

Andrew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back