Anyone had any warranty issues caused by not being able to get van serviced at Dealer cos of the V (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Thats allowed 👍 :ROFLMAO:

I've never felt that a dealer was in a better position than myself to tell me what was or wasn't amis with my van..
Ill accept that not everyone is like me and some are more than happy to let others sort out their issues..id rather do my own .
You may well have secured a deal on future checks..but many haven't and it does cost them a pretty penny for any check..premium or otherwise( sounds like another money making scam to me..why have levels of checks..its either done thoroughly or its not ) to be done in order to maintain a warranty..
Andy..
Yes I guess you are right and that's what I am going to do. To protect my property and not to pander to the manufacturer

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Agree. But if there was a problem the manufacurer would run a mile. Is doing the checks whilst in warranty not a good 'investment/insurance'?
I think a better question would be how many people have had major damp problems in their motorhomes that has been resolved by the water ingress warranty? If the water leak is in the first few months it would be covered under warranty

Not many water leaks that start after 24 months are caused by a manufacturing fault when the van was being converted, they are normally caused by the customer twatting something (a tree for example) dislodging a seal or causing a hole which starts the water ingress. Many will disagree, but vans don't suddenly spring leaks at 3 or 4 years old without a reason

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Interesting slant. I don't think there is a process for "being on an Island during a pandemic and motorhome warranty". Its not a converted van, its a coach built so there is not a convertor only a manufacturer.

Your point is interesting then because the 'must do this/must do that' argument would not stand up in law if I had had a damp check by a competent person and it was clear and then had one done by the dealer "at the earliest opportunity" and that was Ok too. Surely I could demonstrate that I had done this and done that....and whether it was done by a Carado dealer or not would be immaterial. I think car manufacturers can no longer use this argument so why should motorhome manufacturers get away with it just to line their dealers pockets. The duty must be on the manufacturer to demonstrate that I had not done "it" and not the other way around.
I use the word "Converter" for anything that is converted from a delivery van. No converters deserve the moniker "manufacturer" as they mainly assemble things some time well, sometimes badly.

When a converter takes 100% of the responsibility for their product, and offer a Europe wide warranty and service arrangement with their dealers you could consider them a "manufacturer"

As it is, they are happy to leave you to have to deal with Fiat or Ford for the chassis warranty, would point you towards Dometic or Truma when they can and their warranty ethos is wash their hands if they can, as this, your thread demonstrates.

As for legality you haven't adhered to their terms and conditions for their extended damp ingress policy, the whys and wherefores and whether it is convenient or inconvenient doesn't actually change the law

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I think a better question would be how many people have had major damp problems in their motorhomes that has been resolved by the water ingress warranty? If the water leak is in the first few months it would be covered under warranty

Not many water leaks that start after 24 months are caused by a manufacturing fault when the van was being converted, they are normally caused by the customer twatting something (a tree for example) dislodging a seal or causing a hole which starts the water ingress. Many will disagree, but vans don't suddenly spring leaks at 3 or 4 years old without a reason
Genuine question

Doesn't sealant dry out over time and then fail due to movement of panels. I have no experience of damp in any motorhome I have had but I always though sealant could fail....like it does in my shower at home
I use the word "Converter" for anything that is converted from a delivery van. No converters deserve the moniker "manufacturer" as they mainly assemble things some time well, sometimes badly.

When a converter takes 100% of the responsibility for their product, and offer a Europe wide warranty and service arrangement with their dealers you could consider them a "manufacturer"

As it is, they are happy to leave you to have to deal with Fiat or Ford for the chassis warranty, would point you towards Dometic or Truma when they can and their warranty ethos is wash their hands if they can, as this, your thread demonstrates.

As for legality you haven't adhered to their terms and conditions for their extended damp ingress policy, the whys and wherefores and whether it is convenient or inconvenient doesn't actually change the law
Hi Eddie - You missed my point, or more likely I didn't explain it properly - I wouldn't be trying to claim on the dampness warranty I would be citing the sale of goods act and I would argue that a motorhome should be expected to last a reasonable time (its lifetime) without becoming damp

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Doesn't sealant dry out over time and then fail due to movement of panels. I have no experience of damp in any motorhome I have had but I always though sealant could fail....like it does in my shower at home
Thats spot on.. of course it does and needs continued maintenance throughout its life..just like your house..maybe more so..
The point made about water ingress not been as likely to be a manufacturing issue after say the first year or so is I think also a fair point.. but a motorhome is subject to some pretty harsh treatment over the course of its life..
Andy..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes, it just makes you feel a bit let down. My wife is in the vulnerable category as well and she would be terrified to travel from an Island with no cases for months just to get the bloody van serviced
I'd do what Minxy Girl said & contact Carado & explain the situation. you only have what the dealer is assuming to go on at the moment.

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I'd do what Minxy Girl said & contact Carado & explain the situation. you only have what the dealer is assuming to go on at the moment.
Mmmm:wasntme:. That's the bit I thought dealers did for you as part of their after sales service....seems I was wrong and will have to do what you recommend

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have had my dealer telling me that my warranty may be void because I have not had the van serviced this year. It only 18months old. Not so much worried about any faults/claims as I have no faults, but I am worried about the damp thing. I offered to get a mobile service and was told that's no good even though he is NCC approved. I have not been to a dealer as to do it I would have to break government advice about travelling. Seems harsh.

Not naming names at this time
I have our motorhome checked annually in order to preserve the warranty. However, I always use our local “Approved Workshop”, not the dealer, in view of the travel distance involved.

Any warranty work I have requested from manufacturers has been honoured without problems.

Are the rules different where you are?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Any warranty work I have requested from manufacturers has been honoured without problems.

If he has a Hymer group damp warranty they insist on a Hymer dealer doing it😊

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I have our motorhome checked annually in order to preserve the warranty. However, I always use our local “Approved Workshop”, not the dealer, in view of the travel distance involved.

This is the dealers response

Unfortunately Carado and Fiat will only recognise official dealers when it comes to warranty claim service history so you must have this work done by official dealers rather than independent alternatives

Turns out not to be true for FIAT so maybe they are just bluffing me

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Had you been resident in the UK for this purchase, UK consumer law would apply, but not certain about your situation? The goods must be of sufficient quality to last a good length of time. Refusing a warranty under the current obvious restrictions can hardly be legal

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Had you been resident in the UK for this purchase, UK consumer law would apply, but not certain about your situation? The goods must be of sufficient quality to last a good length of time. Refusing a warranty under the current obvious restrictions can hardly be legal
I think....and I mean only think...that the law that applies is the law in the country that the purchase (the contract) was made and not the residence of the purchaser. But I'll check

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yeah but I have offered to get a damp check done by an NCC approved service agent
But that makes no difference the NCC service agent isn't approved by Carado I'm afraid and that's what matters.

But you have a Elddis and that manufacturer specifically supports the 'Approved Workshop Scheme', but Carado does not.

This is the dealers response

Unfortunately Carado and Fiat will only recognise official dealers when it comes to warranty claim service history so you must have this work done by official dealers rather than independent alternatives.

Turns out not to be true for FIAT so maybe they are just bluffing me
They're not bluffing you, for Carado they are correct, however as you say for Fiat they are not as any VAT registered garage can do work on your base vehicle so long as they use approved/genuine parts, fluids etc.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Mmmm:wasntme:. That's the bit I thought dealers did for you as part of their after sales service....seems I was wrong and will have to do what you recommend
Yes they do but this isn't 'normal' after sales service so contact Carado, they are the ones who provide the warranty not the dealer. Some dealers have been shut or short staffed due to staff being off so the only way to get a definitive answer is to do it yourself I'm afraid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back