Anyone had any warranty issues caused by not being able to get van serviced at Dealer cos of the V (1 Viewer)

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I have had my dealer telling me that my warranty may be void because I have not had the van serviced this year. It only 18months old. Not so much worried about any faults/claims as I have no faults, but I am worried about the damp thing. I offered to get a mobile service and was told that's no good even though he is NCC approved. I have not been to a dealer as to do it I would have to break government advice about travelling. Seems harsh.

Not naming names at this time

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
I have had my dealer telling me that my warranty may be void because I have not had the van serviced this year. It only 18months old. Not so much worried about any faults/claims as I have no faults, but I am worried about the damp thing. I offered to get a mobile service and was told that's no good even though he is NCC approved. I have not been to a dealer as to do it I would have to break government advice about travelling. Seems harsh.

Thought travel for servicing was allowed?

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
I don’t think so

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Burstner dealer says they are adding 6 months to the service date. Had hab check done today.
They did give 6 months grace but now that has passed an no nearer being able to Travel (unless against Government advice). I realise its tricky but I would have thought that a Hab check is a Hab check and it seems petty of the manufacturer to insist on dealer only service, especially when we have no warranty work to do

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990

Sorry to hear that's what a dealer thinks..
When I read such posts I have to admit to getting a bit annoyed..I dont have the highest regard of dealers..both ones I've dealt with and cases I actually know about..
Their technical knowledge in my experience is woeful..and the number of times I've heard the likes of that will invalidate any warranty...
and its not like the standard of work iv seen from them is great.. I'd do a betted job myself ..but it would invalidate a warranty...really..
Hab checks is another scam..
Your water ingress warranty won't be honoured if you don't get an annual check by a proper dealer..
Tot that lot up over their warranty period and see what it costs you..
Sorry ..getting grumpy ..ill stop..but you get what I'm on about when I read posts like yours..
Not sure which is worse..insurance industry or the motorhome one :unsure: :( :rolleyes: :LOL:
Andy..

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
They did give 6 months grace but now that has passed an no nearer being able to Travel (unless against Government advice). I realise its tricky but I would have thought that a Hab check is a Hab check and it seems petty of the manufacturer to insist on dealer only service, especially when we have no warranty work to do
Get the had check done anyway using your local guy and keep a copy. If there is a problem you have a better argument

However, playing Devils Advocate, If they gave you Six months period of grace, why didn't you get it done in the five months between lockdowns? after all to be fair its your responsibility to adhere to their rules rather than theirs.

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Sorry I can't see your location. Viewing on a phone. Are you in Northern or southern Ireland?
HaHa. That got you guessing - Isle of Man. No dealer here

Strangely though FIAT are fine with it (despite the MH dealer saying they wouldn't be). Just the MH manufacturer being unreasonable

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Get the had check done anyway and keep a copy. If there is a problem you have a better argument

However, playing Devils Advocate, If they gave you Six months period of grace, why didn't you get it done in the five months between lockdowns? after all to be fair its your responsibility to adhere to their rules rather than theirs.
Isle of Man border has been closed the whole time

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Isle of Man border has been closed the whole time
Fair enough then, so get it done locally and you'll have some argument if you need it.

I have to say, I have been lucky enough to buy 14 new motorhomes since we started at the tender age of 28 years old and never had a habitation check. I see it as an income source for the dealer.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

We had a similar issue for our Carthago, it's first year anniversary was 7th October 2020 and unfortunately although we were booked in on 2nd October we were unable to go because they hadn't got the replacement hob in from Carthago so no point as too far to go more than once. I'd already pre-empted issues so had contacted Carthago directly and was told they had extended warranty intervals by 2 months, so we had up to 7th December to get it done and duly rebooked for 23rd November, then the lockdown hit again and the dealer shut once more so no hab servicing could be done. :doh:

I contacted Carthago again and they said that the dealers could extend it for 2 more months so we booked it in for 11th December and took it down as they were open despite us not being allowed to travel except for 'essential' stuff as we're in tier 3. If we had been stopped we were ready to 'argue' the point as we considered our travel essential to us as we were not prepared to have a MH without a warranty if Carthago didn't extend again and we had lockdown in the new year (which I think is highly likely!). We went straight there and back, using our own car to return (hubby drove the MH, I drove the car), so no risk to anyone else (barring an accident of course) and fortunately we weren't stopped although we have been 'punished' for our sins as a stone flew up at our car windscreen on the way home which now is likely to need replacing at a cost of £75 excess. :swear2:

We're off tomorrow to pick it up so haven't bothered getting the windscreen sorted yet (reported to insurance though) just in case we get another as s*ds law will dictate if we do the new one will get another stone flung at it during the trip! :rolleyes:

I suggest therefore that you get in touch with Carado direct to explain the circumstances and see what they say, hopefully they will honour it but as you didn't 'actively' book a habitation service 'officially' during the original time period, even if it had to be changed, they many not play ball.

As for using an NCC approved one, Hymer who I believe Carado are part of, don't support the 'Approved Workshop Scheme' for that make (only British built ones), so it would have to be someone who is approved by Hymer/Carado to work on their MHs.

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Fair enough then, so get it done locally and you'll have some argument if you need it.

I have to say, I have been lucky enough to buy 14 new motorhomes since we started at the tender age of 28 years old and never had a habitation check. I see it as an income source for the dealer.
Yes I agree. I will get it done once only just in case we have any warranty issues. Its just the attitude that cheeses me off and also surprises me. That's me done with that dealer now so they have lost all future business from me. I know its the manufacturer that's the problem but I don't think the dealer is fighting my corner.

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Hypothetically

If I got a damp check done by a dealer at the earliest opportunity (say April) and it was OK, wouldn't that make the refusal of the damp warranty a bit petty - the argument being that they want the opportunity to spot small issues before they escalate

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry to hear that's what a dealer thinks..
When I read such posts I have to admit to getting a bit annoyed..I dont have the highest regard of dealers..both ones I've dealt with and cases I actually know about..
Their technical knowledge in my experience is woeful..and the number of times I've heard the likes of that will invalidate any warranty...
and its not like the standard of work iv seen from them is great.. I'd do a betted job myself ..but it would invalidate a warranty...really..
Hab checks is another scam..
Your water ingress warranty won't be honoured if you don't get an annual check by a proper dealer..
Tot that lot up over their warranty period and see what it costs you..
Sorry ..getting grumpy ..ill stop..but you get what I'm on about when I read posts like yours..
Not sure which is worse..insurance industry or the motorhome one :unsure: :( :rolleyes: :LOL:
Andy..
I don't quite agree with you, the hab warranty includes a damp check which is required, if there is a damp issue found then it can be dealt with much easier the sooner it is spotted before the damage gets too much, after all the manufacturer will be paying for any rectification so I can understand why they want this at least carrying out annually. As for the rest of the hab check ... there are basic hab checks then there are premium hab checks ... our Carthago is having a very premium one done and they check EVERYTHING ... hubby was on the phone with our dealer earlier to confirm our MH is ready to collect tomorrow and was told what they had done and it is quite an extensive list, much, much more than a 'standard' habitation check that a lot seem to do, fortunately it was agreed to be done FOC as part of our purchase deal otherwise it would cost nearly £400.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hypothetically

If I got a damp check done by a dealer at the earliest opportunity (say April) and it was OK, wouldn't that make the refusal of the damp warranty a bit petty - the argument being that they want the opportunity to spot small issues before they escalate
You were typing at the same time as me so my reply above covers my thoughts on this.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984

Totally agree. Had my last hab check done in my first van in 1989. I was very green than but when I started doing work for dealers I saw the light.
A local mobile guy does 6 hab checks a day and it's making him a LOT of money for nowt.

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I don't quite agree with you, the hab warranty includes a damp check which is required, if there is a damp issue found then it can be dealt with much easier the sooner it is spotted before the damage gets too much, after all the manufacturer will be paying for any rectification so I can understand why they want this at least carrying out annually. As for the rest of the hab check ... there are basic hab checks then there are premium hab checks ... our Carthago is having a very premium one done and they check EVERYTHING ... hubby was on the phone with our dealer earlier to confirm our MH is ready to collect tomorrow and was told what they had done and it is quite an extensive list, much, much more than a 'standard' habitation check that a lot seem to do, fortunately it was agreed to be done FOC as part of our purchase deal otherwise it would cost nearly £400.
Yeah but I have offered to get a damp check done by an NCC approved service agent

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Didn't say it was reasonable.

Dealer is being a bit silly really. I'd feel the same as you.
Yes, it just makes you feel a bit let down. My wife is in the vulnerable category as well and she would be terrified to travel from an Island with no cases for months just to get the bloody van serviced

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You think it is reasonable to self isolate for 2 weeks (whole household) just to get a service?
Well there must be benefits of living on the Isle of Man, as well as disadvantages. Because of the strict regime put in place by the Manx parliament I understand that the people who live on the island are going about their day to day business pretty much normally.

I assume that there are no motorhome dealers on the Isle of Wight, so buying abroad is always going to be more difficult with some compromises having to be made

I think that if the dealer has arranged a six months period of grace they have tried to help, but the water ingress warranty is offered by the converter not the dealer, and as such isn't a legal requirement or covered under the Sale of Goods Act(s) so if the converter states "We will do "this" So long as you do "that" the dealer doesn't really have any wriggle room

Personally I would just consider it a consequence of living on an island during a pandemic rather than blaming the dealer

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I couldn’t get the damp warranty check done on our Hymer due to original dealer dropping Hymer dealership then not being able to get one done until May 2021 nearly a 12 months late and when I asked if I still needed to have the 2021 check done again a month later was told yes. So I have decided not to bother.😊

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018

Agree. But if there was a problem the manufacurer would run a mile. Is doing the checks whilst in warranty not a good 'investment/insurance'?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I don't quite agree with you,
Thats allowed 👍 :ROFLMAO:

I've never felt that a dealer was in a better position than myself to tell me what was or wasn't amis with my van..
Ill accept that not everyone is like me and some are more than happy to let others sort out their issues..id rather do my own .
You may well have secured a deal on future checks..but many haven't and it does cost them a pretty penny for any check..premium or otherwise( sounds like another money making scam to me..why have levels of checks..its either done thoroughly or its not ) to be done in order to maintain a warranty..
Andy..

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Well there must be benefits of living on the Isle of Man, as well as disadvantages. Because of the strict regime put in place by the Manx parliament I understand that the people who live on the island are going about their day to day business pretty much normally.

I assume that there are no motorhome dealers on the Isle of Wight, so buying abroad is always going to be more difficult with some compromises having to be made

I think that if the dealer has arranged a six months period of grace they have tried to help, but the water ingress warranty is offered by the converter not the dealer, and as such isn't a legal requirement or covered under the Sale of Goods Act(s) so if the converter states "We will do "this" So long as you do "that" the dealer doesn't really have any wriggle room

Personally I would just consider it a consequence of living on an island during a pandemic rather than blaming the dealer
Interesting slant. I don't think there is a process for "being on an Island during a pandemic and motorhome warranty". Its not a converted van, its a coach built so there is not a convertor only a manufacturer.

Your point is interesting then because the 'must do this/must do that' argument would not stand up in law if I had had a damp check by a competent person and it was clear and then had one done by the dealer "at the earliest opportunity" and that was Ok too. Surely I could demonstrate that I had done this and done that....and whether it was done by a Carado dealer or not would be immaterial. I think car manufacturers can no longer use this argument so why should motorhome manufacturers get away with it just to line their dealers pockets. The duty must be on the manufacturer to demonstrate that I had not done "it" and not the other way around.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back