Anyone got a Sterling Battery to Battery charger? (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Hi all. Again I'm after a bit of clarification.

I've got the b2b all wired up and connected. When I just started the van the the charging status lights moved from fast, through to absorption and then to conditioning, where it stayed while I had the van engine running. So I think it is successfully charging the leisure batteries.

Firstly, when the van engine is on light 7 is illuminated, which denoted a 13.8v input voltage. For output voltage two lights are showing these are 19 and 20 (19 = 14.2v and light 20 = 13.8v). Does this sound right, and is this what you see on yours?

Secondly I read something about having to set up / program the machine for certain batteries but found this confusing. Is this based on the type of leisure battery or starter battery? I'm using two 110ah sealed calcium batteries as leisure batteries. (These: https://tinyurl.com/y745gmse) I am unsure what the type the starter battery is, but I've taken a photo below. Does the b2b need programming for these batteries?

Cheers.

Jack.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
9236EBEB-BC0A-40F9-9EFA-FE132C1F50D2.jpeg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It has to be set up for the type of leisure battery, the type of vehicle battery makes no difference. From memory, the Sterling B2Bs are set up for standard lead acid batteries, mine was. I'm not familiar with calcium batteries but I suspect they may be fine with the standard default profile. Are they listed in the instructions as having their own profile, as for example gel and lithium batteries do? If not then I think you can leave things as they were, assuming the B2B was bought new. You could email Sterling to be sure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ignore the above! šŸ˜€ I've just read the instructions and there is a separate calcium profile which uses quite high voltages. You need to change the profile if you can.

My understanding is after it has started hold both buttons down until all the LEDs on the left start flashing. You can then use each button to move up and down to select the profile you need. On mine calcium is the one below the top one.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Many thanks DBK. Iā€™ll have a play with it again tomorrow and see if I can get it on the right setting. I didnā€™t want to mess about with it before knowing if the starter battery made a difference. Iā€™m probably over careful but I donā€™t want to break anything or worse still, make something go bang!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many thanks DBK. Iā€™ll have a play with it again tomorrow and see if I can get it on the right setting. I didnā€™t want to mess about with it before knowing if the starter battery made a difference. Iā€™m probably over careful but I donā€™t want to break anything or worse still, make something go bang!
I agree, bangs in the batteries are not welcome! šŸ˜€

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back