Anyone got a lightning/HDMI connector to work? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Bought an Apple lightning/HDMI adaptor in order to watch streamed content (BBC iPlayer etc) on our Avtex tv. The adaptor was quite expensive for what it was (£45) but I couldn't get it to work. Tried it with my iPhone 6, ipad2 running the latest iOS, a Sony Bravia smart TV, a Samsung smart TV and the Avtex.
I ensured the adaptor was powered, that the right HDMI source had been selected etc. I followed the instructions to the letter with no joy. Eventually returned it for a refund.

Now in Portugal with great NOS wifi, it would be great if we didn't have to strain watching on our iPad when we could be watching on the Avtex.
Be good to know if anyone has got the adaptor to work or alternative ways to mirror the iPad.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I also have one that works fine.

@Ingwe The main thing to be aware of is that a lot of third party streaming apps don't permit screen mirroring (connecting an external screen) This is a licensing issue with the app providers in the same way that some content is not available outside your home country and nothing to do with Apple or Android.

I've not tried to use it with the iPlayer so I don't know whether this is an affected app or not.

The SkyGo mobile app is one that certainly won't allow you to connect any type of external display.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, did ensure the tv's hdmi port was selected. And yes, I'm aware some streaming suppliers (Amazon Prime, Netflix etc) don't permit mirroring. Not sure whether BBC iPlayer will work. But couldn't even get my own photos, videos etc on iPad and iPhone to work.
Thanks for your input.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Bought an Apple lightning/HDMI adaptor in order to watch streamed content (BBC iPlayer etc) on our Avtex tv. The adaptor was quite expensive for what it was (£45) but I couldn't get it to work. Tried it with my iPhone 6, ipad2 running the latest iOS, a Sony Bravia smart TV, a Samsung smart TV and the Avtex.

It's probably just a typo, but a lightning connector does not fit an iPad2. ;)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes, did ensure the tv's hdmi port was selected. And yes, I'm aware some streaming suppliers (Amazon Prime, Netflix etc) don't permit mirroring. Not sure whether BBC iPlayer will work. But couldn't even get my own photos, videos etc on iPad and iPhone to work.
Thanks for your input.

In that case it sounds like something as simple as a faulty adapter. Probably worth trying another.

Multiple devices and multiple TVs rule out dodgy ports and software glitches.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Lightning adaptor did fit my iPad so maybe not a 2. Am using a VPN whilst abroad and get BBCiplayer fine on iPad. I was in the uk when I tried the adaptor. Might be worth trying another one in case the one I had was duff, as suggested by NickNic.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Again, doesn't help you but mine works fine on everything I have tried to use it on

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I have to say that many moons ago I was an early iPad adopter having the first version... but having bought the expensive official accessories such as the SD Card reader, I found that it was all so hit'n'miss whether or not they worked [they didn't - not even the "Genius Bar" instore could succeed], that I gave up & went Android, simply because not being a "walled garden" proprietary system - third party accessories simply worked with devices.

How does this help?
Possibly because you could get the cheapest Android tablet to stream to your TV for not much more than an official ipad/hdmi connector...

I think what you actually need is an Apple Tv

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Well I just bought the lead and cannot make it work on our oldish Avtex tv but our friends have just arrived with their cheapo Intermarche tv so we will try it on that. Fairly sure the fault lies with the all singing and dancing Avtex tv, we also have a Cello tv back home and how I wish I had brought it with us.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@laneside-do let us know how you get on. I'd be surprised if it is the Avtex. So long as you select the HDMI source, can't see why it shouldn't work.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Resetting you iPad might help (not a full reset mind)

How to Restart an iPad
The basic kind of restart—in which you turn the iPad off and then turn it back on—is the easiest to do and the first thing you should try when having problems. It won't delete your data or settings. Here's how to proceed:

1. Begin by pressing the on/off and home buttons at the same time. The on/off button is located on the top right corner of the iPad. The home button is the round one at the bottom center of the iPad's front
  2. Continue to hold these buttons until a slider appears at the top of the screen
  3. Let go of the on/off and home buttons
  4. Move the slider left to right to turn off the iPad (or tap Cancel if you change your mind). This shuts down the iPad
  5. When the iPad's screen goes dark, the iPad is off
  6. Restart the iPad by holding down the on/off button until the Apple icon appears. Let go of the buttons and the iPad will start up again.
How to Hard Reset iPad
The standard restart doesn't always work.

Sometimes an iPad can be locked up so much that the slider doesn't appear on the screen and the iPad doesn't respond to taps. In that case, try a hard reset. This technique clears out the memory that apps and the operating system run in (but not your data; it will be safe) and gives your iPad a fresh start.

To perform a hard reset:

Hold down the home and on/off buttons at the same time
Continue holding the buttons even after the slider appears on the screen. The screen will eventually go black
When the Apple logo appears, let go of the buttons and let the iPad start up like normal.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I'll try this re-boot if/when I get another lightning adaptor. (And it doesn't work).

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
YIPPEE.... did what Linda and Steph said and reset the I Pad and just like magic all is working, pehaps the Avtex tv is ok after all my cussing it.

Thanks MHF helps yet again

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I ensured the adaptor was powered, that the right HDMI source had been selected etc. I followed the instructions to the letter with no joy. Eventually returned it for a refund.

Now in Portugal with great NOS wifi, it would be great if we didn't have to strain watching on our iPad when we could be watching on the Avtex.
Be good to know if anyone has got the adaptor to work or alternative ways to mirror the iPad.
I’ve used Apple TV which allowed me cast Netflix, Amazon however the only piece of kit I’ve found to cast sky sports (using sky go app) was the Xbox 360 which you can pick up on scumtree for £30

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I bought a cheapo copy from China on fleabay, works a treat with my iPad Air

Thats what I bought.
Tried it at home using the wifi with the phone and worked a treat.
Tried it using mobile data and it fell at the first hurdle presume signal was pants.
All I got was sound and a frozen picture :(

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Sourced a cheap (relatively) copy of a lightning/hdmi adaptor in one of the many vast Chinese general goods stores in Portugal. This one was in Portamao. It worked ok for BBC iPlayer, both live tv and catch up etc. But, with the ITV hub and the All 4 would only give me sound and a frozen picture. I could see the adverts but if ITV/Channel 4 are locking viewers out, I'll skip their adverts!
Someone suggested just using the internet access to ITV and Channel 4 rather than through the respective apps and I may try this tonight. Also, someone has suggested just watch whatever you want on YouTube but I can't find where full programs are listed on YouTube. I entered 'Frasier' on YouTube and only got segments of programs not a whole episode and definitely not a whole series.
Still, as we watch mostly the BBC (with a VPN) that's fine for the moment. We enter Spain next week so the NOS card and unlimited streaming will end anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back