Anyone got a KTM 890 Duke (1 Viewer)

Aug 15, 2019
N Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728G
Exp
2 years in
I’m carrying a 390 duke at the moment in my garage, which is a great bike, just seen the new 890 which is not much heavier but obviously a lot more powerful, was wondering if anyone here had gone this route

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We take a 790Duke after taking a 690 for a while. bigtree over to you.

OP
OP
soppy
Aug 15, 2019
N Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728G
Exp
2 years in
Think I read it is 160kg which seems very light for something this size and I fancy going back to a bigger bike and this sounds like something I can use when at home and take with when go away.
Do you have any idea how much taller the 890 (790) is over the 390

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Think I read it is 160kg which seems very light for something this size and I fancy going back to a bigger bike and this sounds like something I can use when at home and take with when go away.
Do you have any idea how much taller the 890 (790) is over the 390
I think the 790 is 5mm lower than the 390.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Sorry but I’ve moved on to the Superduke RR.
I have ditched the foghorn size Akra for my Arrow pro race Ti though.
81EBF592-C90E-44DC-A491-B6359E9A70F5.jpeg
BFCDA369-78FC-4995-9C96-CE0F76EA1859.jpeg

OP
OP
soppy
Aug 15, 2019
N Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728G
Exp
2 years in
Nice that bigtree too heavy for my little old MH, need to get my lard arse to a dealer with a tape🤣

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
We take a 790 in our garage, previously had the 390 and no issues with space. However the 790 is slightly longer and obviously heavier.
Will measure the height for you later if that will help? Much more comfy and refined than the 390 and when solo it is an animal 😁 It sits next to a 1290 SAS at home and I am genuinely happy to ride either up to about 250 miles in a day, anymore than that and I want the comfort of the big one.
Rode the 890 and liked it as it had more torque and slightly better brakes, other than that it isn't the same as the 790 but lots more money if you want the toys. I won't be changing anytime soon tbh, just not worth it for me as the 790 is spot on for what we need and I want but very happy I changed from the 390.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp

This is a good website for bike specifications.

As an aside do you find KTM reliable? looking to replace my Honda Africa Twin with a much lighter 890 Adventure, a bit wary after several ultra reliable Hondas over 20 years.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class

As an aside do you find KTM reliable? looking to replace my Honda Africa Twin with a much lighter 890 Adventure, a bit wary after several ultra reliable Hondas over 20 years.
You can read lots of horror stories about most bike brands, sadly including Honda. My brand new 390 had an oil leak early doors from the sensor, messy but a simple fix. Had a front brake disc replaced under warranty due to a DVT (very common on lots of bikes), other than that perfect for 3k miles.
Got my 1290 SAS new in August 2020, new rear disc as slight rusting otherwise rock solid reliable and now at 7000 miles. Picked up the 790 as an ex demo in Feb 21 with 2700 miles on it, now at nearly 6k and no issues at all. Maybe I have been lucky? Lots of reports of the water hoses failing on the 790 early doors but should be all done by now, also leaking rocker covers. Again these had a fix done shortly after launch and shouldn't be a worry.
I am very tempted by the new SAS but I learnt a long time ago to never buy the first of anything.
Lots of my mates have BMW bikes and some are attached to the dealer with elastic bands... others have been fine. Honda went through a rough stage with the AT wheels rusting... they are all a sum of their parts so if the QC at the supplier goes crap the bike companies carry the blame.
My experience of KTM has been very positive but others will have had less good experience, same with all the makes I think... and also the dealer makes a huge difference on how you / the bike is looked after.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Brilliant info thanks and I agree that all makes can have problems, apart from the tarnished spokes replacement I've had no issues in 5 years and 28k miles.

Our nearest KTM dealer is 130 miles away in Perth so any warranty issues could be a pain. I think I really do need to get a test drive as the lighter, distribution of weight appeals on the 890.

I found it interesting that you didn't mention any electrical problems at all, these seem to dominate most forums.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Brilliant info thanks and I agree that all makes can have problems, apart from the tarnished spokes replacement I've had no issues in 5 years and 28k miles.

Our nearest KTM dealer is 130 miles away in Perth so any warranty issues could be a pain. I think I really do need to get a test drive as the lighter, distribution of weight appeals on the 890.

I found it interesting that you didn't mention any electrical problems at all, these seem to dominate most forums.
No bother.
No electrical problems yet...:cool: KTM do seem to like a fully charged battery or they can throw a wobble, a bit like my Mrs needing a full nights sleep or she is trouble ;-) People rarely go on forums and say "my KTMHONDABMW has done 30k of trouble free miles". They go on with "it is leaking oil from the rear sprocket seal, yes I overtightened the chain and yes I wheelie for England Scotland and Wales but why would it leak, crap design?"
Go test ride but the leave the money at home... they are cracking little bikes and urge you to "have fun".
Apart from the quick shifter (which is just wonderful) I would budget for the comfort seats, fly screen and some new rubber sharpish, standard fit is woeful.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Here you go, it was raining so not my best photo efforts. Fly screen is slightly higher than the master cylinder.
2019 Duke 790

Attachments

• scalpal height.jpg
    scalpal height.jpg
    696 KB · Views: 37
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just been out and measured my 390. It's exactly the same height, 43" to the top of the screen. 🤔 That means a 790 will fit in my lean-to shed 🤔 or maybe the 890 is the same height?
Wouldn't bother with the R version, no back seat and for road use you aren't going to benefit from the extra goodies.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Do you take the mirrors off or use bar end mirrors?
Bar end jobbies, the way my ramp works the straps have to go around the handlebars to attach so small ones are perfect. Not measured the 890 but I think it is the same size and actually lighter.
Top box comes off and in it goes no bother.

Attachments

• 790frontscotland.jpg
    790frontscotland.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 27
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

Had 2 bikes from Drysdales, a 390 but the wife preferred her 690 so that went. I then bought a 790 as both of us liked it, only had a few problems with it that were rectified by Saltire and myself. Sold it when the warranty ran out as all you hear on Faceache is all the problems, was so happy with the Superduke R that I bought the RR.

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004

Interesting because I'm thinking on the same lines. Enjoyed my Africa Twin for the last 5 years but will now only be using it towed when we take the motorhome. As I get older, the weight becomes more of an issue manoeuvring it round and loading on the trailer so possibly looking at the KTM 390 or 790/890 because of this.

Not tested yet but ride comfort and ride-by-wire fuelling will be important. Interested in owners thoughts about this. Where I live, some of my favourite roads in the Dales can be fairly bumpy and whilst not perfect compared to active suspension bikes the AT is pretty good for all day riding. I'm not averse to a couple of hundred miles but some unadjustable suspension bikes are realistically only good for half that.

Anyone got any suggestions for lighter fun bikes that might fit the bill?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back