Anyone fitted an external gas point (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Last one I did was on my RV.
Drilled sidewall in suitable position then fed hose through external locker (clipped out of harms way) to the gas tank.
Tee'd into the gas pipe AFTER the regulator.
You can fit it anywhere and connect to gas anywhere so long as it's AFTER the regulator and check any new connections for leaks.
The Bullfinch has a positive stop valve so doesn't need a tap.

Lost Sun

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
I looked at this and have yet to make up my mind. The engineer suggested coming off the back of the hob and putting the fitting at the back of the kitchen drawers next to the sliding door as this is usually open when we are cooking outside. Thought it wasn't too daft an idea as it saves drilling the van

Simon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, fitted one the back of our Ducato PVC and last week fitted one to the Elddis Autoquest we recentally bought.

What vehicle do you want to fit one to and where on the vehicle do want to fit it.

On the Elddis Autoquest I fitted ours onto the gas cupboard door along with the filling point for the re-fillable gas system.

The Ducato I copper piped and "tee-ed" into the copper pipe coming out to the regulator and on the Autoquest I piped in rubber hose as I need to open the door.

Basically work out a logical place to fit it that has access to a gas pipe run that you can get to on the regulated side, drill a 60mm hole through the side with a holesaw and tee into an existing pipe run.

gaspoint1.jpg

gaspoint2.jpg

gaspoint3.jpg

Reactions: f6c

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Not done it myself but would have if I had realised how easy it was. I suggested a position for mounting it (didn't want to be going down on my knees at filling station! or mount it on flimsy skirt) The fitter had a better idea. Where the gas locker is rounded at the corners, look inside and the locker itself is square. This allowed an ideal place to mount the filler with direct access to the gas locker and no movement when opening/closing locker door. :xThumb:

Wyn

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Not done it myself but would have if I had realised how easy it was. I suggested a position for mounting it (didn't want to be going down on my knees at filling station! or mount it on flimsy skirt) The fitter had a better idea. Where the gas locker is rounded at the corners, look inside and the locker itself is square. This allowed an ideal place to mount the filler with direct access to the gas locker and no movement when opening/closing locker door. :xThumb:

Wyn
I'm talking about fitting an external BBQ gas point, not a refillable gas bottle external filler point.
I've already done fitted an external gasit filler to my bumper ;)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If I'm teaching granny please ignore but someone may learn something.
Permanent installs should be fitted using copper pipe and fittings,
Not rubber pipe that has a short shelf life
One day someone if not you, will be using the BBQ or filling point just as the rubber pipe perishes

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Mine was installed when I ordered my van - it is a pvc and the gas point is located on the rear of the nearside panel just back from where the sliding door finishes.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If I'm teaching granny please ignore but someone may learn something.
Permanent installs should be fitted using copper pipe and fittings,
Not rubber pipe that has a short shelf life
One day someone if not you, will be using the BBQ or filling point just as the rubber pipe perishes

I used "rubber hose" as a generic term to explain my setup and I would imagine that the hose is synthetic and was supplied by Gas-it and I would hope and expect it to be fit for purpose.
All the filling point hoses I have seen on both Gas-it and Gaslow have been a flexible hose and normally hydraulic high pressure hose.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
the "issue" with the Globecars is the sliding door is on the off-side, and the gas locker is on the rear near side and for me, the internal gas distribution manifold is in the centre of the van on the Near Side as well - so the simolist install i guess would be to use a spare port on the existing manifold and go out to the Near side (suing copper pipe) - then use a long rubber hose to go around the van to the sliding door - the alternative of taking a split from the galley on the offside, near the sliding door and having an internal fitting - simply having to open the sliding door to use

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I put a Bulfinch one on the back wall of my hymer, tee'd into the hob gas feed and fitted a tap inline so I can isolate the BBQ point. Bought mine from Gas Products.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Hubby fitted a Bullfinch into the rear panel under the bike rack-Hymer B584-he took the supply from the cooker and put a tap in so it is doubly protected & stops someone pinching our gas!!!!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thought about fitting one to our van and came up with the same issues your having, if we went on the off side where the sliding door is it would be in the way of the door. If I try and bring it back further the water tank would be in the way, my solution so far has been disposable BBQ's :). Its something I'll look at again this winter.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
For clarification i'm talking ORANGE rubber gas pipe iv'e seen many a "permanent" install with this stuff threaded under vehicles and inside box sections
etc these of course go un inspected for long after the expiry date, perish and burst without warning
Its why Pro installs cost that much more

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
For clarification i'm talking ORANGE rubber gas pipe iv'e seen many a "permanent" install with this stuff threaded under vehicles and inside box sections
etc these of course go un inspected for long after the expiry date, perish and burst without warning
Its why Pro installs cost that much more
yip - understood
i was planning copper piping inside, but flexible orange hose from gas point to external appliance

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
9F8ECFF4-7634-44CB-A1C2-A786BF329AF7.jpeg

Hi @gerry mcg here is where I fitted mine, I teed off the gas supply in the gas cupboard fitted an isolation tap and ran copper pipe and fittings to the side bumper as in my picture.
I then used the orange hose and take it around to the other side.

John.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
When I fitted my Bullfinch external gas point, Externally underneath I used FARO 8mm LPG Autogas Poly Pipe.
faro1.jpg

Along with LPG Autogas 8mm Flexible Pipe Fitting ends. The 90 degree fitting is attached to the Bullfinch by 8mm nut and olive compression fitting supplied with the outlet. The straight fitting is then fitted into a T joint supplying the gas pipe (after the regulator) using 8mm nut and olive compression fitting.
faro2.jpg

Pete

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Sorry to drag up this old thread but I’m doing the same as I originally ran 8mm copper but changed my mind.

Now I’m going to run as above with 8mm push fit connections but instead of using the black unprotected hose above I’m going to use 8mm stainless steel braided for protection.

9548A84C-55C9-4FAD-8651-C5BE51798827.jpeg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
if that braided tubing is the same as used on the cylinder connections at much higher pressures then there shouldnt be an issue, so long as you can attach connectors on that are 'gas tight', and might actually be easier to install/route the pipework.

as to the location, asked about in older posts, you should take into account where you actually want to do the cooking and site the connection near there.

having had both types of installations, i prefer the bullfinch type, but that is just my preference.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you can tee into any gas pipe if you need to get it to a point behind the sliding door you could consider running down and under the van and them back in where you want it i've built a self build on a ducato the sills are very thick you need to be a way into the van before you can get down so check from underneath to ascertain a suitable entry/ exit point p clips and self drilling screws make fixing it below easy

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you go to my blog in my sig below you can see a pic of the one i did on the ducato which was under the sill probably a bit rough and ready for a quality van but it did work .On my burstner i used a proper bullfinch type with the flap

Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, this useful website (although in German) gives you an idea how it can be done when tapping off the supply behind the sliding door and avoids cutting a hole in the side of the van:

..there are some other great ideas from this website..it's one I have book marked for future reference

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
The below is a link to the above site translated to English.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Right, anyone know where I can get hold of an end that fits 8mm hose to Bullfinch barbecue point and then the other end to a compression 10mm to 8mm T fitting.

Purchased the wrong ends duh?

The Bullfinch is fitted in the skirt not body and I don’t want copper ran under the MoHo so using 8mm braided pipe for safety.

Thanks.

Steve-N

Free Member
Sep 14, 2021
Cheltenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Camper
Exp
2nd Campervan since 2019
Right, anyone know where I can get hold of an end that fits 8mm hose to Bullfinch barbecue point and then the other end to a compression 10mm to 8mm T fitting.

Purchased the wrong ends duh?

The Bullfinch is fitted in the skirt not body and I don’t want copper ran under the MoHo so using 8mm braided pipe for safety.

Thanks.

Did you know you can get plastic coated (covered) 8mm copper pipe which gives really good protection when run underneath the van

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Did you know you can get plastic coated (covered) 8mm copper pipe which gives really good protection when run underneath the van

Yes, I have used it, as are all the factory installed gas lines under our van. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back